Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-DPS using 2 for 1

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by fdemoulin
if you could manage to get seats to Sin (virtually impossible in premium cabin) you could pick up a KLM flight on its last leg from Sin to Dps as they do (or at least in past) a very cheap club for around £300 return. altneratively you could fly Singapore (which are not cheap) but Singapore is much closer, alternatively Cathay from HK but their club fares are around £1200 for this route.
Oh look, there's an echo....
Old May 4, 2012, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Best airports to get to DPS from that are served by BA are:

SIN
BKK
HKG

From HKG it is still a 4,5 hour flight. Also not cheap. From SIN and BKK you can take Air Asia.

A 'fun' alternative is NRT. Flights from NRT to DPS are not on the best times though.
Old May 4, 2012, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Thaks for all the posts so far, really appreciate the advice so far. Not fussed ref status at the moment.

BKK is now looking good, never really heard of Air Asia (although I have seen the funky uniforms). Is this like an asia LCC? To be honest I wouldnt even mind that much as the bulk of the trip would be BA F and £90 sounds appealing.

Anyone actually done this route? Advice on timings?
Old May 4, 2012, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Yes, Air Asia is an Asian LCC. Similar to Ryanair, but a little less strict.
Old May 4, 2012, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by stifle
Yes, Air Asia is an Asian LCC. Similar to Ryanair, but a little less strict.
AirAsia is much nicer than BA Short Haul in my experience and most certainly better than Ryanair. A bit like Kingfisher. Flown them a lot and the experience has been consistently good. Ok, no lounges but that really does not matter.

I normally stay in BKK or KUL (if I don't fly BA) a couple of days but the flight times BKK-DPS is 06:15 - 11:15 and DPS-BKK is 11:55 - 15:15. Not quite sure how that connects with BA. Inbound you won't have a problem...
Old May 4, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
The open jaw idea makes sense if you want to hit HKG. I'd look at taking BA 25 into HKG, spending an evening or two in HKG and then grabbing the CX flight to DPS with miles. It's not a bad deal at 25k Avios and a small amount of taxes in business class. Then you could spend your time in DPS, take the KL or QR flight through SIN and route onwards on a BA flight the following day.
Old May 7, 2012, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Right, after the advice on here we have decided to blow the (miles) budget and go for LHR-HKG (BA) spend three nights there (will that be enough) then HKG - DPS (CX) for 7 nights. Way back will be the same with no stopover in HKG.

Does anyone have any advice ref timings?
Old May 7, 2012, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Cancel the above message as availibility was slim, in fact only one flight option, despite the outbound being nearly a year away.

Have just booked LHR-HKG leaving 21:55 (first ever First! Whoop!) which should give me enough time in the Concorde Room for a meal before departing, maybe a midnight snack then some sleep, arriving HKG at 17:35.

Also booked CX HKG - DPS. I think this is an absoulute bargain. I paid 25000 and £50 in taxes. Pricing this up on CX website shows a price of £838. Perhaps one of the best uses of Avios?

This may be a basic question but can I link PNRs to enable me to interline baggage on the inbound? Outbound I need to keep the luggage for a 4 day stopover.

My wife will still have CX Gold at this stage which should allow lounge access, I am more concerned with baggage allowance. Might ask this on CX forum as the CX website isnt clear, but I wonder if they will allow both passengers the higher allowance. Feels very strange that my wife will have a higher status than me!
Old May 7, 2012, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I think you will be able to interline bags on an all-oneworld journey, two PNRs or not.
Old May 7, 2012, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stifle
I think you will be able to interline bags on an all-oneworld journey, two PNRs or not.
Stifle, thanks. So do I simply ask for this at check in>? Seems like im placing a lot of faith in the system. In the past all my baggage has alwas been with one carrier and the only time I have needed some luggage I have had enough allowance to use my cabin allowance instead.
Old May 7, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
I fly to DPS and CGK frequently, as HKG, SIN and BKK are very difficult to book 2-4-1 bookings , i use PVG and then either fly from there on Cathay, Garuda or Malaysia Airways, for the best rates from PVG i used C Trip which is pretty ease to use.

As a guide business class tickets from PVG to DPS on Cathay are £900 return and £300 in Economy , the other carriers have similar rates.
Old May 8, 2012, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kitbag1984
Stifle, thanks. So do I simply ask for this at check in>? Seems like im placing a lot of faith in the system. In the past all my baggage has alwas been with one carrier and the only time I have needed some luggage I have had enough allowance to use my cabin allowance instead.
Yes, just hand over both your itineraries at check-in. Make sure your final destination is displayed at the top of the baggage tags as they attach them. You may possibly have to call to the transfer desk in HKG to get your boarding pass back to LHR, depending on how well the systems are working that day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.