Search

BA Interline/Connection in ATH

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
BA Interline/Connection in ATH

Hello all-
I'm taking advantage of one of the cheap ME fares to Oz out of Athens, because university academics get to pay their own business class fares

So I've booked myself onto a reward saver flight LHR-ATH, arriving in at 1740. The Qatar flight leaves at 1855. Two questions: Does anyone know if BA will interline bags from LHR so I don't have to collect/check them in ATH? And if not, what are the chances I can make that connection? I can always take the earlier flight on BA, just means I'll be sitting around for ages in ATH, which is not ideal.

PS--as far as I can see Qatar is still a BMI partner, which means I can get DC points->upgradios eventually... ^
Old May 2, 2012, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
I don't wish to scare you but that is scarey tight.
If you have a half hour delay(entirely possible) ,you will miss your paid flight with no redress other than insurance.
Cancel the award saver you have and book an earlier one.
Better still go to Athens the night before staying in the cheapest airport hotel room you can find.
Interlining should be possible via the code-share as that agreement is now with Ba but I wouldn't fancy arguing it at bag drop though.
As I said biggest worry is if your connection is delayed.
Old May 2, 2012, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Connecting onto an EK flight to NZ last year we stopped at the airport Sofitel the night before.Its a 2 minute walk from arrivals and was a very reasonable price.
Old May 2, 2012, 3:44 am

MCT at ATH is 45 minutes so if you can get the bags interlined you might just be OK - I've done a connection this tight from BA onto an Aegean domestic flight without interlined bags but with online checkin/boarding card so I could use just the bag drop. International flights to destinations outside the EU might be more difficult though.
Don't rely on being able to pick up a boarding card at the ATH transfer desk, more often than not these are unmanned with a hotline phone instead, and you will definitely have to go through security again as this is at the gate.
However usually BA won't interline onto a non-OneWorld carrier unless the whole journey is on one ticket, which Expatbear doesn't have, so I'd definitely recommend the earlier flight or an overnight stop. In my case there were 3 later domestic flights to the same destination as backups.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Great, thanks all. Booked the much earlier flight, which gives me something like 6+ hours in Athens.

Been a while since I've been to that lounge... I guess I'll get to know it well
Old May 2, 2012, 12:41 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by Expatbear
So I've booked myself onto a reward saver flight LHR-ATH, arriving in at 1740. The Qatar flight leaves at 1855. Two questions: Does anyone know if BA will interline bags from LHR so I don't have to collect/check them in ATH?
On separate tickets, BA will not interline baggage to a non-OneWorld carrier as a matter of policy.
Old May 2, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Originally Posted by KVS
On separate tickets, BA will not interline baggage to a non-OneWorld carrier as a matter of policy.
That's correct.

If you want, you can book a day-rate at Sofitel (I think it is not possible online), will cost you ~£50 and you can have nice runway views and relax. Check in: 11:00, Check out:18.00.

Iirc, Swissport is the lounge that Qatar uses at ATH, IMO this lounge has nothing to offer you in order to spend 6 hours pleasantly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.