OT: Second Passport - UK Passport Agency

Old Apr 24, 12, 9:17 am

Programs: ABBA
I got my second passport 18 months ago, having just started travelling for work. The initial reason I got it (unofficially) was the israeli stamps. At the time I had 5 stamps in my passport. I'm now down to a single double-page in one of the passports.

At one point I was actually been without both of them for a few days -- I think one was off at India, one at Afghanistan.

It's handy having 2 passports, but still can run in to trouble when you need visas in each one for a trip, and need to apply for more. I currently have both passports on me this trip as there was a chance I'll be going to either Russia (visa in passport 2) or USA (visa in passport 1) before getting home. This meant I couldn't easily get a new Pakistan visa while away.

One colleague of mine has 4 passports -- 2 UK, 2 Ireland.
Old Apr 25, 12, 1:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
And as a note to anyone renewing their second (or indeed first) passport - make sure you send a letter explaining why you still need two.
When I called the Passport Office for advice on renewal, they said just ignore the statement that you have surrendered all existing passports, and apply as normal.

I have done that twice now, with no problem.
Old Apr 25, 12, 3:34 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Gold, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Sounds like I had a rougher time than most then - I am currently applying for a second passport because my new role involves me travelling to Israel and Arab countries. I checked with the passport office beforehand and got from them details of what needed to be in the letter (list of countries visited/to visit with dates) and was told that it probably wouldn't be enough. I was told off because my boss who witnessed my photo didn't have a fixed-line number (he doesn't use one). I was told repeatedly that a second passport was a privilege and I would be very lucky if I got one (despite the fact that my job will involve trips to Riyadh and Tel Aviv). The passport officer took pride in telling me about a woman who came in the day before for the one-day service and despite three different letters faxed to UKPA from her employers, a second passport was still rejected.

As of now I'm still waiting for the phone call that my application has been approved. Sounds like I may just have been unlucky with the officer I saw.
Old Apr 25, 12, 3:58 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by Morland View Post
As of now I'm still waiting for the phone call that my application has been approved. Sounds like I may just have been unlucky with the officer I saw.
I think you were unlucky, but the supporting letter from your employer will only need to be quite simple, but cleverly worded on hardcopy with the company's letterhead showing their contact details.

I renewed two "jumbo" passports at the exactly same time at the Durham passport office, and the officer did not even blink, had opted for a week's turnaround. The same-day service was an option but would cost a bloody fortune.
Old Apr 25, 12, 4:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
I finally got around to getting a second passport a couple of weeks ago. I needed it fairly sharpish, so had to go to Peterborough in person. Paid 123 for the one-week service. My interview was on the Friday afternoon, and the new passport arrived on the following Tuesday.

No hassle, no fuss.

The guy doing the application did say that I'd need to send a letter with each passport renewal explaining the need for me continuing to hold a second passport, though.

There's a good template letter on this discussion: http://http://www.businesstraveller....nd-uk-passport which worked for me.
Old Apr 25, 12, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Hilton Gold
I technically have 3. My normal second passport suffered a washing machine "incident" which was clearly my fault, despite me not being allowed to touch the washing machine as I normally mess things up.

Anyhow, the passport was in reasonable condition, but a couple of the visas (including DRC) were illegible and this would attract the attention of the very thorough and diligent officers at the DRC border who use any excuse to extract a few dollars, so I thought I had better get a new one.

I went to Victoria, but was sent away as I didn't have a letter from my employer stating why I still needed 2 passports (I thought it was ok to just replace a damaged one). I got said letter, went back 2 days later and it was all passed.

I was expecting the damaged one to be returned with the corner clipped off, but it came back intact, and it is perfectly usable, but I will never use it again.
Old Apr 25, 12, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL, Hilton Diamond, FB Grey, Amex MR, Trop Plus Gold
I have always wondered how I would go on if my passport needs to go away. Luckily most embassies in Luxembourg will turn your application round in lightning time.

However, it is a legal requirement that you carry an original national identity card at all times in Luxembourg. That's fine if your passport needs to go away and you're from one of the EU countries with national ID cards. But for Brits, it must be another matter. My driving licence also says that it is not valid without another valid member state-issued piece of identity, as it's the old tri-fold paper style one and not terribly secure.

While I appreciate it's probably nowhere near enough of a reason in the eyes of the IPS for a second passport, if my passport had to go to Brussels or Paris for a visa, I wonder what the situation would be if I were stopped while driving, as ID and licence is the first thing they ask for. Driving without them physically on you is more often than not going to result in fines and points.
Old Apr 28, 12, 12:06 am

So my second passport has now arrived. Those of you with two passports, can you advise if there is any restriction on the one I use to re-enter the UK? e.g. If I renew my ESTA with my new passport and use that for BA to establish my right of entry to the US, do I need to show the same one on return to the UK? Can't think why but thought I'd check. Main reason for asking is that first passport is IRIS registered and it would be great to carry on using that...
Old Apr 28, 12, 12:29 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL CCR/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Starriott PPE, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
So my second passport has now arrived. Those of you with two passports, can you advise if there is any restriction on the one I use to re-enter the UK? e.g. If I renew my ESTA with my new passport and use that for BA to establish my right of entry to the US, do I need to show the same one on return to the UK? Can't think why but thought I'd check. Main reason for asking is that first passport is IRIS registered and it would be great to carry on using that...
I have used both passports in the past and have never encountered a problem, including one that was linked to IRIS.
Old Apr 28, 12, 1:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
Officially you're not supposed to have two passports with you when you travel.

Could be treated with extreme suspicion if discovered at certain destinations as well.
Old Apr 28, 12, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 View Post
But could I use the IRIS from my first passport 'virtually' and then show my second passport if IRIS is closed or faulty? I would only be carrying one passport but would be using the IRIS capabilities of passport 1 despite showing passport 2 when departing the UK.
Old Apr 28, 12, 1:26 am

But could I use the IRIS from my first passport 'virtually' and then show my second passport if IRIS is closed or faulty? I would only be carrying one passport but would be using the IRIS capabilities of passport 1 despite showing passport 2 when departing the UK.
Actually I don't see why not, as you're not physically carrying two passports.

That's just my opinion though, obviously.
Old Apr 28, 12, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 View Post

Could be treated with extreme suspicion if discovered at certain destinations as well.
I can see the logic to that but where does the 'officially' come from? When last passing through Israeli immigration, they immediately knew I held two passports (I believe it's something in the number sequence) and asked me where my second was. Being a good boy, it was in a drawer at home.
Old Apr 28, 12, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Sorry to hear about your situation Morland. The central consulate in Dusseldorf were incredibly helpful with me, despite not budging on the requirement to send in my first passport for checking.

I guess the nightmare will come when I renew my first passport and still have several valid 10 year US Visas on it so will have to rubber band that to the new one and hold three passports (albiet two valid ones)... Shame they won't let you transfer the visa foils.
Old Apr 28, 12, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Originally Posted by nth_utsera_sth_utsera View Post
I can see the logic to that but where does the 'officially' come from? When last passing through Israeli immigration, they immediately knew I held two passports (I believe it's something in the number sequence) and asked me where my second was. Being a good boy, it was in a drawer at home.

As my two were renewed/issued at the same time, my passport numbers are consecutive (identical except one has 39 as last two digits and the other 40).

Looking at them side by side there is indeed info contained on there identifying it as a primary or a secondary.

Search this Thread