Wiki Posts
Search

BMI Lounge at EDI for BA flyers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
BMI Lounge at EDI for BA flyers

They were actively encouraging people (or at least me!) to use the BMI lounge rather than the BA lounge at EDI this morning.

The BMI lounge is a much nicer place to be at EDI than the BA lounge - at least IMO. It's got windows for one thing and feels quite a bit more spacious than the BA lounge - the EDI BA lounge is a bit depressing really being the white windowless box that it is.

There are some downsides though (at least for the moment): they don't call BA flights from the BMI lounge and maybe the bar in the BA lounge is marginally better.

I wonder what the long term plan is for the lounges at EDI - presumably there will be some 'consolidation' at some point in the near future.

(BTW, I suspect that quite a few of the residents of that lounge are Star Alliance people connecting to one of their airlines which probably makes their flights out of EDI less appealing - I think the only other lounge is the ServisAir lounge which really isn't that great).
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi jasec,

Were you on a BA flight or Bmi flight?

Interesting if you were on a BA flight( I'm flying BA down to LHR next friday and might try the bmi lounge if you can do that)

The bmi lounge would also be used by Continental/United and Lufthansa.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Strange, as the announcement was clear on the airports where lounge reciprocation is happening. EDI was not one of them. Anyway, there is sound logic in consolidation considering both premises are very expensive to operate - the ground rent at EDI is astronomical compared with other outstations and for BA it makes little commercial sense to be hit with two sets of overheads.

In the meantime, I'll continue to use the Galleries. Seats are much more comfortable and the coffee excels. Its also much closer to Gates 10/11.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I wonder what the arrangements are with the bmi lounge for Continental and LH pax now that BA/Bmi are one happy family should BA decide to close the bmi lounge? ( I assume bmi gets some revenue from CO/UA and LH for pax access)

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I expect the Star customers will be united with the Scary ones over in the Serviceair lounge. Oh! The humanity!

Which of the two (well three actually) IAG lounge locations would lend itself best to a V-Scotia Clubhouse establishment?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Hi, Yes I was on a BA flight to Heathrow. There was a notice up on the desk in the BMI lounge stating that people on BA flights were allowed in.

I'm not 100% sure that I looked properly but I think all of the signage outside of the BMI lounge that says who is allowed in has been removed.

As you say - I think it's a real pain for those on the CO flight to EWR - the ServisAir lounge is not nearly as nice as the others.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:32 am

In addition to the Business Class lounge have you been granted access into the inner sanctum, AKA the Diamond Club lounge?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Oh - and it was actually the guy on the BA check in desk that was encouraging the use of the BA lounge (he said he thought it was more spacious - although I suppose he could have just been trying to prevent me making the BA lounge look less attractive...).

As mentioned the location of the BA lounge for BA flights is better; but I thought the seats were similar and the coffee machine seemed to be on a par. I don't think there is a 'work zone' in the BMI lounge either.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
In addition to the Business Class lounge have you been granted access into the inner sanctum, AKA the Diamond Club lounge?
I think the answer to that is yes: but possibly because that was the only bit that seemed to be in use this morning.

The staff in the lounge were clearly not completely up to speed yet: the agent couldn't spot my EC number on my boarding card - she wanted my EC card so she could write the number on a list.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:05 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by jasec
The staff in the lounge were clearly not completely up to speed yet: the agent couldn't spot my EC number on my boarding card - she wanted my EC card so she could write the number on a list.
*A rule is to show the card to the Lounge Rep (we do not call these nice folks 'Lounge Dragons') - I think BA introduced the same policy same time ago...
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
*A rule is to show the card to the Lounge Rep (we do not call these nice folks 'Lounge Dragons') - I think BA introduced the same policy same time ago...
Except at the least BA don't enforce it very often: I can't remember the last time I was asked for my EC card either in EDI or in the lounges here in T5 (or at any other outstation come to think of it). There was a time a year or two ago that they asked on entry to the lounges Heathrow; I haven't been asked for a while.

The BMI lounge dr...lady wasn't questioning my right to access - she was just looking for the correct think to write on her list. I was also travelling on a Business UK ticket so I should have access to the lounge even without a relevant EC card.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jasec
Except at the least BA don't enforce it very often: I can't remember the last time I was asked for my EC card either in EDI or in the lounges here in T5 (or at any other outstation come to think of it). There was a time a year or two ago that they asked on entry to the lounges Heathrow; I haven't been asked for a while.
IIRC, BA systems have been improved so that if you're entering a BA lounge before flying BA, the BP should be enough.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Does anyone know if this works the other way round? Just on the basis that the BA lounge has a somewhat better food selection that its bmi counterpart
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:58 am

I dont really have a feel for the numbers involved, but are BA lounges about to be be mobbed and overrun with BMIers ?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by gw76
I dont really have a feel for the numbers involved, but are BA lounges about to be be mobbed and overrun with BMIers ?
Yes and no. There will doubtless be a bit of a bump from people like me who flew bmi domestically (although judging by how empty the bmi domestic lounge has been lately I wouldn't worry too much).
A fair number of bmi gold card holders however never set foot on the airline and just used it as an easy way to get Star Alliance gold status and lounge access on domestic US flights (and take advantage of the fairly spectacular redemption rates) it's unlikely that this lot are going to defect to BA and even if they do they won't be at LHR that much.
I also presume that the bmi flights to the Middle East, Eastern Europe and Africa may stay at T1 for another year or two as there simply isn't room for them in T5 or T3. Once T2 opens and the rest of Star Alliance moves there they'll probably go to T3 (or we'll get another major reshuffle)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.