Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WTP to CW upgrade with Avios

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:04 am
Original Poster

WTP to CW upgrade with Avios

Flying to Chicago in 10 days or so in WTP and am keen to upgrade to CW with Avios.

At the moment, if I look at my booking in the BA iPhone app, I am offered an upgrade at an eye watering £2,500 each way!

In the web app, if I try to upgrade with Avios I get an error message..

In the past I have been successful by calling BA CS a few days before travel but I am keen to know when the best time is to call, ie how many days before a flight would CW upgrade seats typically be made available.

Any pointers much appreciated..
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
It's been giving an error message on BA for three days now
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I believe that WT+ to CW upgrades using Avios book into the same booking class as straight CW redemption tickets so a good check of UUA availability can be had by attempting a dummy CW redemption booking for the date you're travelling. This is certainly what I've done in the past when scouring for last minute WT+ to CW upgrades - once you see redemption availability then get on the phone to do the upgrade.

Currently there's some CW redemption availability next week on LHR-ORD on 24th, 25th and 26th but nothing at all in the month of May. Of course, that may all change as you get closer to your travel date - good luck.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by timezonehopper
I believe that WT+ to CW upgrades using Avios book into the same booking class as straight CW redemption tickets so a good check of UUA availability can be had by attempting a dummy CW redemption booking for the date you're travelling. This is certainly what I've done in the past when scouring for last minute WT+ to CW upgrades - once you see redemption availability then get on the phone to do the upgrade.
I absolutely agree with all of this.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Being an old git, have you tried calling BAEC on a telephone?

There is another World out there ... And BA will get connected
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Being an old git, have you tried calling BAEC on a telephone?
Personally I'd always check the CW redemption online before making that call - otherwise you're wasting your time.

Just another old git's opinion ...
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by timezonehopper
Personally I'd always check the CW redemption online before making that call - otherwise you're wasting your time.

Just another old git's opinion ...

I hopefully have everything on screen before I call ... But there are cases where BA.com doesn't offer the answer!

Agree the basic principle of pre-checking, of course. If there's no availability, that's it.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:34 am
Original Poster

very useful tips.. thanks chaps

Flying 2 May so hopefully availability soon....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.