Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Fined 58.5 Million Pounds in Protracted Price-Fixing Case

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Fined 58.5 Million Pounds in Protracted Price-Fixing Case

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: MUCCI :D, BA Lifetime Gold, JJC (1980 the Leo Budd years) Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by albpenny
In terms of coordinating fare structures, this is fine (and not the issue here) provided it is done within the terms of the law, ie that the parties do not discuss future behaviour. Agreements along there terms would lead to clear consumer benefit as the passengers would be able to fly any airline with that ticket - it is similar to bus tickets, where different bus companies honour a competitor's ticket.
Well it is all well and good stating that the wrong doing is to have discussed future behaviour, but the behaviour I describe is in fact within the law, since if it was not, then no-one could buy airfares in advance, you would have to get on the plane and then haggle.

It is ludicrous to suggest that any kind of discussions should ever have been reported by Virgin - someone (namely Beardy) with a gripe obviously thought he could get away with something because someone from the, at the time, incumbent governing party told him he could.....
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by boadh398
Well it is all well and good stating that the wrong doing is to have discussed future behaviour, but the behaviour I describe is in fact within the law, since if it was not, then no-one could buy airfares in advance, you would have to get on the plane and then haggle.

It is ludicrous to suggest that any kind of discussions should ever have been reported by Virgin - someone (namely Beardy) with a gripe obviously thought he could get away with something because someone from the, at the time, incumbent governing party told him he could.....

Again you seem to misunderstand. There is a world of difference between discussing and agreeing ALL levels of fuel surcharge across ALL flights, routes, fares, class etc and ONE that applies to a very limited number of fares - and that is permissible as a result of a route agreement that will have been cleared by competition authorities prior to implementation.

And you are entirely wrong about someone at Virgin having a gripe - don't be so cynical. I am a competition lawyer who worked for the law firm that uncovered the illegal behaviour, and it was uncovered completely by chance (as we were reviewing something utterly unrelated). Our advice was to blow the whistle - it was in our client's best interests to do so as a result of the leniency policy.

So you tell me what you would do if you were being faced with a fine of 10% of your global turnover? Blow the whistle to get 100% leniency or do nothing and risk your competitor blowing the whistle and them getting 100% leniency? It's really not rocket science.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Virgin have got themselves in the news again...

Maybe Virgin should open up a PR firm, I would use them!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: BA
This isn't caselaw at all, it's European policy, and the vast majority of jurisdictions have a form of "immunity". Leniency is not guaranteed though and the OFT (and other regulators) can remove it if the companies do not comply with the investigation's procedures etc. Also, it requires an admission of guilt, which means that those affected can bring damages actions.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Today's decision to reduce the fine has been as a result in the OFT revisiting previous decisions.

The decision on immunity has nothing to do with that I know.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by NickB
This is a pragmatic principle, reflecting the difficulty of obtaining evidence of anti-competitive collusion. You have a choice: stay high and mighty on principle and allow vast numbers of anti-competitive practices to flourish and be undetected or you can bring some to light and therefore bring them to an end at the cost of letting some perpetrators unpunished.

If what is more important to you is to eradicate as much as possible anti-competitive practices, and this surely has to be the main aim of competition law, then the "cost" of letting some illicit behaviour unpunished has got to be worth it.

If, on the other hand, what matters most to you is moral principle regardless of its consequences on society, if you are willing to accept more breaches of competition law to the detriment of consumers for the sake of moral principle, then it would follow that you are likely to regard such a system as flawed.
NickB, I agree with the principles above to reduce anti-competitive practices but why must that require full immunity? It could still be achieved with a very large reduction in any penalty leaving something to mark their illegal practice?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
NickB, I agree with the principles above to reduce anti-competitive practices but why must that require full immunity? It could still be achieved with a very large reduction in any penalty leaving something to mark their illegal practice?
Fair point but I guess the logic must be the greater the incentive, the greater likelihood of cooperation.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
Only in very specific circumstances will full immunity be given. Otherwise, the OFT has discretion in terms of the amount by which the penalty can be reduced, usually between 10-50%. And not all parties to a cartel will get immunity/a reduction.

The thing is, by blowing the whistle, you agree to give the OFT all the evidence it requires to investigate and make an infringement decision. You help the OFT make the case and you agree to cooperate fully with the investigation against your competitors. By helping the OFT, you give it details of a cartel of which it might otherwise not have become aware and you provide it with substantial evidence and statements that it might not otherwise have obtained.

If you don't cooperate, immunity will be wholly or partially removed, so it incentivises companies to whistleblow and then cooperate.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
Are they protected by the company from their wrong doing?

I wonder which executives would be vulnerable form these illegal activities?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Flying Bat
In case it wasn't clear from my earlier post, this is all ancient history.

If you want to see which executives might, in the past, have been vulnerable in one way or another, that's a matter of public record - some of it repeated in today's news articles.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:46 pm

Do you mean in terms of prosecution by the OFT or by their employers?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:00 am

Prosecution

Do you mean in terms of prosecution by the OFT or by their employers?
Good point, I think the board would be interested in both.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point, I think the board would be interested in both.
It's all been done already - a long time ago.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It's all been done already - a long time ago.
It is incredible how many websites are reporting this as "BA gets fined" not "BA's fine is cut in half".
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paralytic
It is incredible how many websites are reporting this as "BA gets fined" not "BA's fine is cut in half".
However, it's therefore unsurprising how many people seem to be wondering whether the specific event now being reported will lead to any future changes in the way BA does business, on people's future perceptions of BA, or on whether any individuals will in the future be prosecuted or otherwise punished for what they have done.

The answer to all of those is clearly no, because the underlying events (and their dramatic consequences for BA and certain individuals) are all ancient history - as I have been saying.

I, for one, have long ago banked my class action settlement cheque.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
However, it's therefore unsurprising how many people seem to be wondering whether the specific event now being reported will lead to any future changes in the way BA does business, on people's future perceptions of BA, or on whether any individuals will in the future be prosecuted or otherwise punished for what they have done.

The answer to all of those is clearly no, because the underlying events (and their dramatic consequences for BA and certain individuals) are all ancient history - as I have been saying.

I, for one, have long ago banked my class action settlement cheque.
I am glad you did but it is hard not to feel sorry for those who did not go through the procedure.

This remains a sorry tale of dishonourable conduct in airline history.
I am not sure having a fine halved, albeit a commercial positive, is anything worth celebrating here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.