Connection time at LHR [T5 to T3]

Old Apr 14, 12, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF
Connection time at LHR [T5 to T3]

Hi Guys,

I'm currently looking at my options for an upcoming trip and had a question about catching an international connection at LHR...

Would I have sufficient time to make a connection coming in on BA0266 from ATL at 10:25 and flying out on CX252 to HKG at 12:30?

I've never been through LHR before so I'm not clued in on the terminal arrangements

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 14, 12, 6:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Septemberfury View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm currently looking at my options for an upcoming trip and had a question about catching an international connection at LHR...

Would I have sufficient time to make a connection coming in on BA0266 from ATL at 10:25 and flying out on CX252 to HKG at 12:30?

I've never been through LHR before so I'm not clued in on the terminal arrangements

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi Septemberfury

Terminal 5-3 connections are 90 mins: http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...-international

Thats assuming your flights are on one ticket ?

cs
Old Apr 14, 12, 7:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
As long as they are on one ticket, you'll be perfectly fine. When you arrive into T5, follow signs to flight connections, then to T3. You'll do the transfer on a bus. When you arrive into T3, you'll have to go through a security check, and you'll be airside in T3 near the flight connection/airline desks.

You won't pass passport control nor customs in the UK; and your bags will be transferred.
Old Apr 14, 12, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF
Thanks for the quick response guys.

They wouldn't be on the same ticket as I'd be booking the BA segment on the BA website and the CX segment on the CX website... Is there any way to put the two tickets together given that they are OW?

If not I might book UA that arrives in LHR at 8:25, surely that would be sufficient!
Old Apr 14, 12, 7:59 pm

BA will put your bags through to CX if you ask. Therefore 2 hours to get yourself across should be fine
Old Apr 15, 12, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Septemberfury View Post
They wouldn't be on the same ticket as I'd be booking the BA segment on the BA website and the CX segment on the CX website... Is there any way to put the two tickets together given that they are OW?
A travel agent should be able to do that for you. As pointed out, BA will/should check your bags through in any case, but you won't be protected for delays and missed connections if on separate tickets/PNRs.

Two hours is normally fine for T5->T3 and, even leaves you some (although not much) time for shopping/coffee/lounge/whatever, but if the inbound is delayed you will be in a hurry.
Old Apr 15, 12, 4:51 am

2 hours is fine but a 60 minute delay on the inbound would make the connection impossible. As the tickets are separate this leaves you at the mercy of CX. If your CX ticket is flexible then you'll be able to get the next flight, if non-flexible then you may have to buy a completely new ticket.

This is possibly where a travel agent may be able to help - they may be able to book the itinerary on a single ticket for roughly the same price.

If it were me I wouldn't have any problem with the connection on a single ticket or if my connecting ticket was flexible, relatively low cost to replace or if I am insured for the cost of a misconnect.

If the connection is non-flexible and expensive to replace then I wouldn't do it.

I would also baulk at the United option. If something goes wrong you would still be at the mercy of CX and if it works out fine you are in LHR for 4 hours after a long transatlantic flight! Not sure on UA's current interlining rules with different carriers - you need to check you wouldn't have to claim your bags and recheck.
Old Apr 15, 12, 6:56 am

I recently had a 2 hour connection to CX from BA on separate tickets - the inbound was late. I made it but the bags didn't. CX were waiting for me when I landed and taxied the bags from the next flight even though it wasn't their fault. Excellent service.
Old Apr 15, 12, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Either BA or CX telephone sales should have no issue creating a unified booking which would minimise the risks quite a bit in terms of protection. How the price compares I don't know, but call them and ask them to price it.
Old Apr 15, 12, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by colmc View Post
Either BA or CX telephone sales should have no issue creating a unified booking which would minimise the risks quite a bit in terms of protection. How the price compares I don't know, but call them and ask them to price it.

Likewise CX or BA would be able to book the flights you want and flight numbers you want via the phone booking lines, I'd call BA and have this all on one ticket

cs

Search this Thread
Search Engine: