Long queues at T5 border control

Old Jun 28, 12, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
This sort of approach normally causes paranoia at the Foreign Office due to all those countries who are excluded causing upsets through their Embassies at being excluded, tit-for-tat retaliations for British entering the slighted countries, complaints about whites-only racial discrimination, threats to boycott British goods as they've been insulted, you name it.
You are right which is why I was surprised that someone here has reported seeing it. Maybe it's just for the Olympics, but I hope they can permanently do this, especially at T5.
Old Jun 28, 12, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by magyaar View Post
every supermarket in the country manages to train sufficient people to use tills so that they can fill as many tills as they need to if queues get huge.
You clearly haven't used my local supermarket.
Old Jun 28, 12, 5:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
This sort of approach normally causes paranoia at the Foreign Office due to all those countries who are excluded causing upsets through their Embassies at being excluded, tit-for-tat retaliations for British entering the slighted countries, complaints about whites-only racial discrimination, threats to boycott British goods as they've been insulted, you name it.
I was a bit surprised that someone reported the lane being open. I haven't flown into T3 for about 4 weeks and I normally head straight to the IRIS gate anyway so I hadn't noticed it myself.

They can't say it's white only though, because they have included the Japanese nationals, it seems

Anyway, I suppose I shall see if it's there myself when I arrive there next week.
Old Jun 28, 12, 4:25 pm

Japan, Canada, Australia and New Zealand (and also Monaco and BNO passport holders) are the countries to whom Britain extends Tier 5 (Youth Mobility) visas which suggest that there is already some degree of entrenched immigration reciprocity as to those countries.

But although that explains Japan it doesn't explain the US... so maybe that's a non-explanation rather than a helpful one!
Old Jun 28, 12, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
I was a bit surprised that someone reported the lane being open. I haven't flown into T3 for about 4 weeks and I normally head straight to the IRIS gate anyway so I hadn't noticed it myself.

They can't say it's white only though, because they have included the Japanese nationals, it seems

Anyway, I suppose I shall see if it's there myself when I arrive there next week.
I note that the President of the US has discernible Kenyan heritage.

Further, the clear majority of births in both the US and the UK are now to babies with significant African and/or Asian ancestry, so find it difficult to jump to the conclusion that US p/port holder lane = white only.
Old Jun 29, 12, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
At T5 this morning off the DOH/BAH flight, landing at 06:30, there was no queue at UK Border at all. I just walked straight through to the Arrivals Lounge.

That makes three in a row without a queue!
Old Jun 29, 12, 4:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by EK029 View Post
Further, the clear majority of births in both the US and the UK are now to babies with significant African and/or Asian ancestry, so find it difficult to jump to the conclusion that US p/port holder lane = white only.
I was merely responding to another post, which mentioned the potential accusation of 'white only policy' from various quarters, with an example of a country where probably less than 0.01% of its citizens are white.
Old Jul 1, 12, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Arrived at 06:40 last Sunday and waited 80 minutes to go through the fast track line. In fact, fast track was much slower than the normal non EU line as I was getting out of the line at the same time as people who arrived 1/2 an hour after me.

Many of us in the fast track line were joking about how the olympics will be a complete fiasco. Only 2 booths were processing fast track while the staff processing the UK/EU were just sitting there staring at an empty line. Finally an American couple about to miss a connection headed to a non fast track window when they reached the front of the line and managed to convince that border officer to process the fast track line. After that, the line moved a bit faster with 3 windows open. All in all, completely unacceptable.

Also, BAA staff was never checking boarding passes or asking for the fast track flyer when people were joining the queue.
Old Jul 1, 12, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by xienon View Post
Arrived at 06:40 last Sunday and waited 80 minutes to go through the fast track line. In fact, fast track was much slower than the normal non EU line as I was getting out of the line at the same time as people who arrived 1/2 an hour after me.

Many of us in the fast track line were joking about how the olympics will be a complete fiasco. Only 2 booths were processing fast track while the staff processing the UK/EU were just sitting there staring at an empty line. Finally an American couple about to miss a connection headed to a non fast track window when they reached the front of the line and managed to convince that border officer to process the fast track line. After that, the line moved a bit faster with 3 windows open. All in all, completely unacceptable.

Also, BAA staff was never checking boarding passes or asking for the fast track flyer when people were joining the queue.
I encountered similar circumstances when passing through on 6/22. 2 guards to process fast track and about 10 to process UK/EU which was empty nearly the entire 60 minutes that we waited. When someone in fast-track asked about the UK/EU guards handling some of the foreign passports, the lane guard said that they aren't trained to stamp books. I imagine it takes more than applying a stamp but she made it sound as if that's all there is to it and those guards weren't even trained enough to apply a stamp.

I'm afraid that you made the same mistake I made in taking the fast-track line. According to the tensor barrier guardian, it isn't a "fast-track" line. It is a "priority" line. She said there is no guarantee that it will be fast.

Three days later after taking the 285 home to SFO, there were 4 guards processing US passports and about 30 processing foreign passports. It looked like it took the same amount of time to get through both lines.
Old Jul 1, 12, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by taske View Post
Three days later after taking the 285 home to SFO, there were 4 guards processing US passports and about 30 processing foreign passports. It looked like it took the same amount of time to get through both lines.
With all due respect, but while I agree that the queues at T5's border are infuriating and need to be addressed, I have frequently had long queues and waiting times at US immigration as well.
Old Jul 1, 12, 4:28 pm
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Here's a common sense solution to alleviate the concerns of all and to actually do something to combat the problem. For those non-EU nationals on a long-term entry clearance (ILR, spousal visa, Tier 1 or Tier 2 visa, other long-term Entry Clearance), let them use the UK/EU queues. Those with biometric residence permits, let them use the ePassport gates. As most would be taxpayers, this will please the Home Office's best (foreign) customers. And as these are low-risk, pre-cleared returning residents, attention can continue to be given to those requiring more scrutiny.

Because at the end of the day, the point is that absolutely nobody wants to read things like this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-approach.html
Old Jul 1, 12, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by vla View Post
Here's a common sense solution to alleviate the concerns of all and to actually do something to combat the problem. For those non-EU nationals on a long-term entry clearance (ILR, spousal visa, Tier 1 or Tier 2 visa, other long-term Entry Clearance), let them use the UK/EU queues. Those with biometric residence permits, let them use the ePassport gates. As most would be taxpayers, this will please the Home Office's best (foreign) customers. And as these are low-risk, pre-cleared returning residents, attention can continue to be given to those requiring more scrutiny.

Because at the end of the day, the point is that absolutely nobody wants to read things like this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-approach.html
Not quite so easy. The people manning the EU/EEA desks are probably the contingency staff who have only been trained to process EU/EEA. It is likely that they will not have stamps, so cannot process other passengers, even if there are no queues.
Old Jul 1, 12, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
How bad is the transit queue at T5 to BA Domestic flights?
Old Jul 1, 12, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
How bad is the transit queue at T5 to BA Domestic flights?
Hi,

I have not found it too bad as there were only a few people in front of me in the EU/Line c 5mins max for the passport check.( non-EU pax had only 1 or 2 officers so they might have had to wait a bit longer)

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 1, 12, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MNManInKen View Post
With all due respect, but while I agree that the queues at T5's border are infuriating and need to be addressed, I have frequently had long queues and waiting times at US immigration as well.
Agreed, the US requirement to fingerprint all visitors really slows things down. I've learned never to pick the line behind a large family as they could easily take 15 minutes or more.

The one big difference is that the US officers in the citizen line will process foreigners when all the citizens are through.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: