Long queues at T5 border control

Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by 45128
It's not a silly question at all.

"Fast Track" is a service subsidised by BA, and offered by the UK Border Agency, to enable invited people with non-EU passports to by-pass the tortuous immigration queues at T5.

Note that EU passport holders (officially, at least) are left to fend for themselves.

To be "invited" in the first place it seems that one should arrive at T5 after travelling in F at least, or CW at a pinch. The invitations are handed out by the CSDs on incoming flights.
There is no fast track for international to domestic connections.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hyatt, Marriot, HHonors
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
45 minutes ain't bad, once was @ JFK and the line was getting longer and longer, imo it almost reached the plane. I asked the immigration officer how long before everyone gets processed, he looked and said around 2 hrs, when I had an astonished look on my face, he said once during the summer it was 5 hours. When I said that it really is very embarrassing for a first world country to have 3 world service, he said that they were cutting down on employees with no plans to hire again.... Shame.
Last summer had a wait of 2 hours @ JFK. Was on BA175 in Club. BA117 had just landed 15 mins prior to our flight. 15 mins later CX from HKG landed. Imagine the wait the last person off CX would have had.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 4:17 pm

Theresa May's AHHSS is on the line for the rest of the summer.
Hope she isn't planning a relaxing break ... for example 3 weeks in a private villa on a private island paid for by a Tory donor who evades UK tax.

But - here is how it will go - courtesy of the boys in Gideon's kitchen closet:
1. Hype up the terror alert
2. Massively increase the Border Controls, U-turning on lots of staff reductions.
3. Cost for this year about 5 x as much as it would have been with proper experienced trained staff.
4. Won't show up in UKBA budget because it will be booked to Olympic Security.
5. To add cr@p to incompetence, tell everyone that the Olympic over-run was due to 'problems we inherited from the previous administration'.
6. Go home and check the value of your Trust Fund.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:17 pm

Is the T5 intl-to-intl transfer queue just as bad as the T5 immigrations border queue?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:34 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Got through T5 UK passport check at 7am this morning in 15 minutes ^
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by xxxxx
I'm one of the people who always had trouble with Iris
That's the problem with my pompous Internet generalisations after a few G&Ts...I apologise, it wasn't my intention to imply anything about you specifically; and I certainly don't actually think anything of the sort based on your very helpful previous posts on FT, sorry

Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
It'd have to be a pretty warped world where we're conditioned to expect such monumentally crap service from lazy Government civil servants when 15 minutes to enter one's own bloody country gets a thumbs up. Oh.

Last edited by G-BOAC; Apr 15, 2012 at 9:30 am
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:34 am

looks like you were lucky...a couple of pics from tweets earlier today:

https://twitter.com/#!/paulcsweeney/...481024/photo/1
http://yfrog.com/odjo1cnj

I think the 2nd one looks like T5
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My experience is that the e-passport gawa are slower and far more unreliable than IRIS. Add in that anyone can use them - thus attracting tourists and other slow moving obstacles - and they are pretty painful to use.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by matthewuk
looks like you were lucky...a couple of pics from tweets earlier today:

https://twitter.com/#!/paulcsweeney/...481024/photo/1
http://yfrog.com/odjo1cnj

I think the 2nd one looks like T5
Is using a camera at Border Control not a criminal offence?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Colin
Is the T5 intl-to-intl transfer queue just as bad as the T5 immigrations border queue?
Generally not as bad. There is no UK Border Force (as we should now be calling it) passport check on international departures, including international to international transfers. There is legal provision for UKBF to do this, but it doesn't happen in normal circumstances. The basic process is:
  1. Conformance check (BAA administered) of boarding pass
  2. Boarding pass check (BA administered) - this may include a look at your passport, mainly to see if you're allowed into your final destination
  3. Pre-security check downstairs - random (BAA administered)
  4. Main North security check upstairs (BAA administered)

The last stage can get congested especially if a plethora of 747s arrive simultaneously in the 6 - 7 am area, leading to passengers being held downstairs for a bit. You occasionally see rants about it here, but my personal experience is that it's not that often, and rarely takes more than a few minutes. There is a Fast track for this route, but with the layout of North upstairs it doesn't really matter that much, except for the status obsessed....
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by bealine
Probably is but these people haven't actually reached the Border Control!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

The last stage can get congested especially if a plethora of 747s arrive simultaneously in the 6 - 7 am area, leading to passengers being held downstairs for a bit. You occasionally see rants about it here, but my personal experience is that it's not that often, and rarely takes more than a few minutes. There is a Fast track for this route, but with the layout of North upstairs it doesn't really matter that much, except for the status obsessed....
If you get held downstairs then Fast Track helps a bit - they will open the barrier and let you walk up the right hand side escalator. The actual fast track scanners are, of course, of no value.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bealine
"in the public interest?" so that the UK Government cannot act like a North Korean dictatorship and hide the truth?

Press coverage with pictures to raise awareness is really needed.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I'd say the EU line at T5 was (thankfully) no more than 10 mins at midday today...
Old Apr 15, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
you landed too late!!! we were though at 6.30 in 5 mins

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.