Long queues at T5 border control

Old Apr 13, 12, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17701212
Old Apr 13, 12, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold & more
Came in today at T5 around 9.45. Queue didn't look too horrific but I did use Fastrack with a non-EU person so was through in no time. Baggage was on the belt by the time that we got to the baggage claim. Reports of fog meant some planes came in a little late but the fog cleared very quickly so instead of possibly going to Manchester we did come in to Heathrow. I would agree generally though that the EU lanes are slow and apparently you can't register for IRIS any more. Do they have e-passport gates?
Old Apr 13, 12, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom View Post
Here is an idea.

When there are massive queues at T5 can you get the bus to another terminal and go through immigration there?
Yes, if you have no checked baggage.
Old Apr 13, 12, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by AtoB View Post
Do they have e-passport gates?
Last time I went through they had 3 at LHR T5. LGW[N] has 6. Enough said?
Old Apr 13, 12, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PCR Plat (isn't everyone?)
I finally got around to downloading a pic from my phone. Sorry for the poor quality. It was taken just outside the toilets at the far end of the terminal. The UK border is somewhere off in the distance.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old Apr 13, 12, 1:03 pm

Programs: ABBA
Came in about 18:10 today.

Escalators: off
EU Queue: back to the wall, but moving fast with 5 guards
Other Queue: about 2 rows
Iris: about 15 people, only 1 open
E Passport: Just closing as I arrived

Iris took on average 15 seconds to process someone, where a border guard took on average 12 seconds. Of course with 5 as many people processing it than iris, but only about 2.5 times the queuers, the normal EU queue was much faster.

Flight connections looked fine too, at least at the border.
Old Apr 13, 12, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PCR Plat (isn't everyone?)
Originally Posted by AgEngineer View Post
I finally got around to downloading a pic from my phone. Sorry for the poor quality. It was taken just outside the toilets at the far end of the terminal. The UK border is somewhere off in the distance.

Has anyone got any idea why the image has been pulled by imageshack? It is the first time i have uploaded a photo like this. There is nothing that i can see that violates the terms of service.

I'll try again with flikr

Photo0001 by AgEngineer, on Flickr
Old Apr 13, 12, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Has anyone got any idea why the image has been pulled by imageshack? It is the first time i have uploaded a photo like this. There is nothing that i can see that violates the terms of service.
Do they have a rule against hotlinking?
Old Apr 13, 12, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Jings! That did not stay up for long.
Old Apr 13, 12, 5:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Thw whole thing really is a complete joke. I hope the developers of the new Central terminal are taking note, although it's more the fault of the UKBA
Old Apr 13, 12, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by G-BOAC View Post
You know what drives me nuts? The utter bollocks UKBA is peddling about IRIS not working and being a waste - arrived off the 286 yesterday just after 1pm and the queues were massive for the UK/EU line. Not as bad as the pics here recently snaking back all the way along T5A but basically about full in the actual border area. Two IRIS machines, both working, I was out in under 30 seconds not minutes. It's a total travesty that they're scrapping it.
I totally agree. I arrived on BA 268 this afternoon and the non-EU "queue" (really more of a throng) was jammed with people; there was no one in the IRIS queue, however, and I was through in less than 30 seconds. Can someone explain again why exactly they are scrapping something that works as efficiently and painlessly as this?
Old Apr 13, 12, 11:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL)
Have to give another vote for IRIS and also ask why on earth they are getting rid of it. Am a non-EU passport holder and it has saved me that nightmare queue on so so many occasions. Longest wait I have ever had was about 8 minutes with only one working.

BTW - does anyone know why Fast-Track only works in the morning and is closed from early afternoon on??
Old Apr 14, 12, 2:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Irubi View Post
BTW - does anyone know why Fast-Track only works in the morning and is closed from early afternoon on??
Probably because BA will not subsidise it after the morning TATL rush.
Old Apr 14, 12, 2:44 am

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Originally Posted by G-BOAC View Post
You know what drives me nuts? The utter bollocks UKBA is peddling about IRIS not working and being a waste - arrived off the 286 yesterday just after 1pm and the queues were massive for the UK/EU line. Not as bad as the pics here recently snaking back all the way along T5A but basically about full in the actual border area. Two IRIS machines, both working, I was out in under 30 seconds not minutes. It's a total travesty that they're scrapping it.

My best arrival ever into T5 remains the day the useless UKBA were on strike last year
Does anyone know if anyone is/has/plans to lobby BA/BAA/UK border control to keep (and expand) IRIS? So many of us value it and it can only help reduce the pressure on the immigration staff. Nicci, help!!!
Old Apr 14, 12, 3:07 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Silly question- what do people mean here when they say Fastrack? I've never noticed a priority lane at customs at LHR. Is this another name for the e-passport gates?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: