Long queues at T5 border control

Old Apr 13, 12, 4:44 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cham CH
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,642
no / minimum queues at 9.15 this morning
heckenhocker is offline  
Old Apr 13, 12, 4:53 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, ARN, HEL, ..... or MAN
Programs: BA GFL / GGL, Mucci Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Posts: 4,408
Originally Posted by flyingbee View Post
Thanks. Normally just carry baby in my arms but I will fish the carrier out of the suitcase before I check in in a couple of mins. Might try and keep pushchair with me if there's space.
Good luck.. this is when the usual refusal to bring buggies to the door of the aircraft at LHR can really bite. Carrying a baby / infant to baggage reclaim is bad enough - holding them in your arms for over an hour in the immigration queue is just unacceptable.

Not sure which airport I was in recently which seems to lend out buggies to parents airside - AMS or ARN. I do wish LHR could do the same.

Back on topic, half term in February also had 90 minute+ queues for EU at LHR at 10pm. Luckily our kids are now older and could cope but some of the parents with smaller children were having real problems
ThatT1Feeling is offline  
Old Apr 13, 12, 5:01 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somerset/Dorset/Wiltshire borders, England [home].
Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Posts: 6,154
Originally Posted by paulwuk View Post

Poor show though when someone's spent 10k on a ticket to avoid the hassle of travel, you'd think that BA could provide a private transfer to a private immigration area.
I've got to agree with this. Last August I arrived at T4 having flown EY F AUH-LHR, with hand luggage only.

A wonderful AUH F lounge, a great EY F flight, and a complimentary BMW transfer to Dorset was totally spoiled by a 45 minute immigration queue at T4 - it was like a rugby scrum.

As a Brit I'm frankly ashamed with some of LHR's operational aspects - it makes the UK look very much second-rate in comparison to some other countries (although the US can be just as bad!).
Phil the Flyer is offline  
Old Apr 13, 12, 5:10 am
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: A metal nomad
Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Posts: 21,882
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post
......... totally spoiled by a 45 minute immigration queue at T4 - it was like a rugby scrum.

(although the US can be just as bad!).


45 minutes ain't bad, once was @ JFK and the line was getting longer and longer, imo it almost reached the plane. I asked the immigration officer how long before everyone gets processed, he looked and said around 2 hrs, when I had an astonished look on my face, he said once during the summer it was 5 hours. When I said that it really is very embarrassing for a first world country to have 3 world service, he said that they were cutting down on employees with no plans to hire again.... Shame.
Yahillwe is offline  
Old Apr 13, 12, 5:28 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: used to be FRA, LHR and now FRA, TXL
Programs: BA Gold, FB Platinum, M&M Senator (thanks FB), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by Yahillwe View Post
45 minutes ain't bad, once was @ JFK and the line was getting longer and longer, imo it almost reached the plane. I asked the immigration officer how long before everyone gets processed, he looked and said around 2 hrs, when I had an astonished look on my face, he said once during the summer it was 5 hours. When I said that it really is very embarrassing for a first world country to have 3 world service, he said that they were cutting down on employees with no plans to hire again.... Shame.
Or Holding the non US citizen to process only the US passport as I saw it once.
I was at the begining of the queue looking at the arrival hall for 1H30, near a TSA agent who was letting in only US passport and US resident (they where then using the line they wanted). They finaly released us and let us use some of the US resident line. Such a nice gesture.

Was not the time I faced a "friendly" alcohol smelling agent, who had his head falling on his desk and start snoring, before waking up again and again.
But this is a diferent story.
flyerbb is offline  
Old Apr 13, 12, 5:46 am
  #21  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 12,695
You know what drives me nuts? The utter bollocks UKBA is peddling about IRIS not working and being a waste - arrived off the 286 yesterday just after 1pm and the queues were massive for the UK/EU line. Not as bad as the pics here recently snaking back all the way along T5A but basically about full in the actual border area. Two IRIS machines, both working, I was out in under 30 seconds not minutes. It's a total travesty that they're scrapping it.

My best arrival ever into T5 remains the day the useless UKBA were on strike last year
G-BOAC is offline  
Old Apr 13, 12, 6:01 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,636
Originally Posted by G-BOAC View Post
You know what drives me nuts? The utter bollocks UKBA is peddling about IRIS not working and being a waste - arrived off the 286 yesterday just after 1pm and the queues were massive for the UK/EU line. Not as bad as the pics here recently snaking back all the way along T5A but basically about full in the actual border area. Two IRIS machines, both working, I was out in under 30 seconds not minutes. It's a total travesty that they're scrapping it.

My best arrival ever into T5 remains the day the useless UKBA were on strike last year
I can assure you that on Tuesday morning the early am (6:30-7:00) it was terrible and took 1 hour to get through the EU bit....

FD
Flying Doctor is offline  
Old Apr 13, 12, 6:26 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL, BA CCR, BA LTG, BA GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Plat Elite
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by flyerbb View Post
Was not the time I faced a "friendly" alcohol smelling agent, who had his head falling on his desk and start snoring, before waking up again and again.
But this is a diferent story.
That wasn't Shannon was it? The last time I went through on the LCY JFK route, the agent had clearly been on some massive lash the night before. Stunk of booze, red eyes, head on his hand.
rjn21 is offline  
Old Apr 13, 12, 6:44 am
  #24  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: From ORK, live LCY
Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Posts: 13,026
Originally Posted by G-BOAC View Post
You know what drives me nuts? The utter bollocks UKBA is peddling about IRIS not working and being a waste - arrived off the 286 yesterday just after 1pm and the queues were massive for the UK/EU line. Not as bad as the pics here recently snaking back all the way along T5A but basically about full in the actual border area. Two IRIS machines, both working, I was out in under 30 seconds not minutes. It's a total travesty that they're scrapping it.
Quite so. I expect the only feedback they're getting is from the unregistered kettles who try to use it.
stifle is offline  
Old Apr 13, 12, 6:55 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: used to be FRA, LHR and now FRA, TXL
Programs: BA Gold, FB Platinum, M&M Senator (thanks FB), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by rjn21 View Post
That wasn't Shannon was it? The last time I went through on the LCY JFK route, the agent had clearly been on some massive lash the night before. Stunk of booze, red eyes, head on his hand.
No JFK but exactly the same behaviour. He did not even say one word, only pointing and showing various set of fingers, but this is not uncommon.
flyerbb is offline  
Old Apr 13, 12, 7:26 am
  #26  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 615
Originally Posted by britbronco22 View Post
Well if the OP's brother is a non-EU citizen they should be able to use the fast-track if they are in F.
, so the people in WT on this flight would have had an even longer wait at imigration! (Unless you run to immigration past the other PAX)
Hello britbronco22,

I totally agree with you when you say "the class of travel also makes a difference how quickly you get off the plane", but that's the extent of the carrier's responsibility IMO.

I travelled JFK-LHR in F a couple of weeks ago, and yes, I disembarked first. However, because of temporary disability I walk very slowly and so I arrived at UKBF immigration a lot later than most of my "fellow travellers".

Could I then have insisted that I be allowed to jump all the queues, on the somewhat specious grounds that I was a first class passenger? If I did, I could imagine the gauntlet I would then have to run!
45128 is offline  
Old Apr 13, 12, 7:44 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Posts: 7,710
Originally Posted by 45128 View Post
Hello britbronco22,

I totally agree with you when you say "the class of travel also makes a difference how quickly you get off the plane", but that's the extent of the carrier's responsibility IMO.

I travelled JFK-LHR in F a couple of weeks ago, and yes, I disembarked first. However, because of temporary disability I walk very slowly and so I arrived at UKBF immigration a lot later than most of my "fellow travellers".

Could I then have insisted that I be allowed to jump all the queues, on the somewhat specious grounds that I was a first class passenger? If I did, I could imagine the gauntlet I would then have to run!
You'd be surprised at how much responsibility a carrier can take. Checking in as a BD*G in AKL, I was given a priority card to use for immigration and customs in Sydney (and that was great). I'm guessing the airlines that give their passengers these cards pay to do so.

It's the same in ZRH and FRA if you're travelling *A and have status (or class of travel) - priority everything.
Internaut is offline  
Old Apr 13, 12, 7:48 am
  #28  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2007
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 12,048
Here is an idea.

When there are massive queues at T5 can you get the bus to another terminal and go through immigration there?
Sixth Freedom is offline  
Old Apr 13, 12, 8:30 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, or 1A or 64K
Programs: MUCCI :D, BA Lifetime Gold, JJC (1980 the Leo Budd years) Hilton Gold
Posts: 559
Originally Posted by G-BOAC View Post
You know what drives me nuts? The utter bollocks UKBA is peddling about IRIS not working and being a waste - arrived off the 286 yesterday just after 1pm and the queues were massive for the UK/EU line. Not as bad as the pics here recently snaking back all the way along T5A but basically about full in the actual border area. Two IRIS machines, both working, I was out in under 30 seconds not minutes. It's a total travesty that they're scrapping it.

My best arrival ever into T5 remains the day the useless UKBA were on strike last year
Let alone that it is a total travesty that they're scrapping it, but why only two? We should have ranks of them - at least 20. Then when 1 breaks, the redundancy is not reduced to 0%! - Take a look a Schipol.

Neither BA (in their terminal), UKBA, nor BAA want to accept responsibility, but it incenses me when I am in F, that I cannot use any kind of priority line. The passport readers are useless (the new EU machines), take a look at Helsinki.....

As for the fast track non-EU queue - BA are doing a disservice to their F and J EU passport holders, because the UKBA agents will allow an EU passport to go to a non-EU desk, it is BA who are preventing us from using the fast-track.....
boadh398 is offline  
Old Apr 13, 12, 9:00 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London, SW3
Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Posts: 1,315
Bodes well for the Olympics, then.

Or maybe they'll have Olympic immigration lanes at LHR for the "VIPs".

A bit farcical that UKBA laid off a bunch of border officials recently, only to have to re-employ _and_ retrain new ones.

Agreed regarding F and J EU nationals' immigration with or without the Olympics. It's the weakest link in the chain. You've blown $10k on a ticket, been treated to a level of service that many look on in awe and envy, only to be chucked into a steaming pot at the other end. Rather a let down after all that brown nosing. Same applies to baggage reclaim.

Also agreed re the IRIS system, although finding an IRIS office open to register has always been rather difficult.

Cheers, Howard
Howard Long is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: