Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long queues at T5 border control

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
If you are going to defect to LX catandmouse then consider using LCY......
But don't tell everybody.

No good if you live in Windsor I guess!!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
In the press...

This issue is finally getting some coverage:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/t...s-7670113.html

There was also a big article about the delays in the Times this morning (behind the NI paywall, so not posting link)
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:51 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
It was a zoo this morning until more staff came on at 0730. I had arrived from DXB to find only one train operating, and the doors at C gates only opening for a few seconds thereby missing one train and many people getting limbs rammed by the closing doors. It's silly that the doors are open for such a short period of time
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
In from LAX to T5 this afternoon - the queues weren't too bad. IRIS was playing up a lot - not opening, trapping people in, obviously registered people (including me) getting chucked out.

It worked in the end - both terminals started working, so it took me 5 mins in total. I spoke to a UKBA (or whatever the new name is) and he said that up until 3 months ago, they'd been told that both IRIS and the e-gates would continue, then they were suddenly told IRIS was going.

He also said that he though IRIS was still accepting new registrations, so perhaps he wasn't hugely informed
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Clearly Border Agency staff know what's happening. And Head Office remains clueless. What a disgrace.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: QFF P1 LTG, lots of others
I wonder has anyone considered NOT flying BA because of the immigration deficiencies at T5?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
It was a zoo this morning until more staff came on at 0730. I had arrived from DXB to find only one train operating, and the doors at C gates only opening for a few seconds thereby missing one train and many people getting limbs rammed by the closing doors. It's silly that the doors are open for such a short period of time
Interesting, on Thurs last week 1530 the 2 escalators from the train arrival area to the immigration floor weren't working - everyone had to catch the lift. I dont see the logic here.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by funkyr
I wonder has anyone considered NOT flying BA because of the immigration deficiencies at T5?
… one Nation, one Border, one Shambles.

I only use LGW and LHR as a British Citizen. I tread carefully about which path I tread.

I am embarrassed by what I read and experience. As a fairly regular user of US Immigration at IAD, I have to say that the UK end is ptui.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
funkyr.....

Well for short-haul I use LGW and have swopped to LCY on some routes - (lucky not had any diverts when flying into LCY yet. )
Havn't been near LHR for a while and won't until after the olympics....
I am sure I am not alone.......

Logic for not having escalators running and using lifts? ...... slows people from getting to the UK Border. Seriously.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Lidl Plus
I haven't been home for a few months: last times were just before Christmas at about 0630 when the UK/EU queue was longer than I'd seen in a while but I still got through in 20 mins or so, then more recently in early Feb at about 1030 when there was no queue to speak of at T5 immigration.

Are these enormous queues becoming a daily occurrence? I'm flying in with the parents in a few weeks' time, due to arrive off BA66 at 0620 on a Tuesday morning: the reason I ask is that I booked us non-refundable el-cheapo train tickets from LHR with a HEx departure time of 0757. This seemed like plenty of time for immigration/collecting bags etc but now I'm starting to wonder if we might be in trouble...
Old Apr 23, 2012, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
funkyr.....

Well for short-haul I use LGW and have swopped to LCY on some routes - (lucky not had any diverts when flying into LCY yet. )
Havn't been near LHR for a while and won't until after the olympics....
I am sure I am not alone.......

Logic for not having escalators running and using lifts? ...... slows people from getting to the UK Border. Seriously.
Yeah I try to avoid LHR as much as possible too - I love LCY. At least there sounds as if there are more international flights into LGW now.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Somthingorother, et Mucci
Around 2pm today the queue for international passport holders had outgrown the holding area and was starting to impede the UK passport queue, which was only taking up about half the area reserved for it. The automated gates were closed initially, but opened just as I arrived so I breezed through in about 2 minutes. Pretty lucky to get through that quickly!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by funkyr
the 2 escalators from the train arrival area to the immigration floor weren't working
If its crowded in the corridor at the top of the escalator and people don't move away from the escalator either because there is no space to or they are in shock at what awaits them there could be a lot of people falling on top of each other!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
After being involved in a ludicrous delay leaving Cape Town earlier this year and hearing everyones experiences on here, I have to speculate what the following action would have on manning levels:

Some people - maybe 10-20 - decide that they have had enough of the queue. It could be people feeling faint, people with babies etc. But people suddenly say 'Enough'.

The group of people decide not to comply with the nonsensical queue, paying huge amounts of APD/departure tax for no service, and instead walk straight past the Border Agency staff. The Border Agency staff object but in a matter of seconds other people see what is going on and do exactly the same. All order breaks down.

Border Agency call the police - someone, anyone - but by now things are out of all control and tens if not hundreds of people are streaming through unchecked. The herd mentality takes over.

Big implications for those who would do such a thing. Or is there? I think such an act would be the absolute final straw for this situation, and a crisis for the UKBA and government. Imagine the terrible publicity on the news of such a thing - incandescent interviewees detailing the incompetence, lambasting the authorities etc. Yet it could happen if the circumstances were right. Thoughts?

In my case - massive queues at Cape Town on departure, with an Air France, Lufthansa and VS/BA evening flights. 90 minute queue to get through passport control. 2 people checking passports. Near open rebellion as people realise their flights are about to close. Was close to descending into a similar situation.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Originally Posted by David_Doyle

In my case - massive queues at Cape Town on departure, with an Air France, Lufthansa and VS/BA evening flights. 90 minute queue to get through passport control. 2 people checking passports. Near open rebellion as people realise their flights are about to close. Was close to descending into a similar situation.
Had similar lines in JNB exit security/passport control before. Its south africa, so 150 rand given to the right person got us taken down the diplomatic lane and bizarrely (and rather worryingly) bypassed most of the security.

Can see the rest of what you describe happening at LHR soon though, when people just say ' enough'.

Out of curiosity, what actually would be the penalty/offence for a uk passport holder not waiting in line and attempting to just walk past?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.