Is Row 1 on a A321 an emergency exit row ? ?

Old Apr 2, 12, 3:22 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: LHR
Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 8,665
Is Row 1 on a A321 an emergency exit row ? ?

Am I right in thinking that Row 1 on an A321 short haul is an emergency exit row? Or is it just a bulkhead row reserved for Golds? There were baby bassinet trays on the plane not the BA provides baby bassinets any more on short haul. I know there are no exits at row 1 itself but has been possibly a historical designation.

I was very surprised that on a recent flight I took, the CSM (yes it was a MF fight) allow a famous celebrity and his wife who got seated in row 2 to change with the pax in row 1. This was after a long litany of complaints from the celeb on boarding in through Hollywood diva style (was/is famous on both sides of the pond who will be 90 this year). I was particularly surprised since the celeb needed assistance at the airport - wheelchair and golf buggy at the airport and even needed a walking stick on board. Celeb wife was truly the diva and wanted to exit the plane first even though they wanted special assistance.

CSM had to persuade pax in row 1 to move by bribing them with free champagne to take off the plane - they gave in far too easily if you ask me. Suspect they were not BAEC elites and manage to nab the seats at check-in
KenJohn is offline  
Old Apr 2, 12, 3:27 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Posts: 7,882
Row 1 in a 321 is a bulkhead, not an emergency exit. But sometimes MMB can't tell the difference.

Row 1 should be blocked for Golds whether in CE or UK Dom configuration.

There is a bassinet which is very useful to use as a drinks table.

I would have told S'leb to get stuffed.
BahrainLad is offline  
Old Apr 2, 12, 3:27 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Edinburgh UK
Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Posts: 9,372
They aren't exit rows. There is a toilet on the left and galley on the right - so bulkheads similar to other Airbuses.
edi-traveller is offline  
Old Apr 2, 12, 3:31 am
  #4  
BOH
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Posts: 7,038
Originally Posted by KenJohn View Post
Am I right in thinking that Row 1 on an A321 short haul is an emergency exit row? Or is it just a bulkhead row reserved for Golds? There were baby bassinet trays on the plane not the BA provides baby bassinets any more on short haul. I know there are no exits at row 1 itself but has been possibly a historical designation.

I was very surprised that on a recent flight I took, the CSM (yes it was a MF fight) allow a famous celebrity and his wife who got seated in row 2 to change with the pax in row 1. This was after a long litany of complaints from the celeb on boarding in through Hollywood diva style (was/is famous on both sides of the pond who will be 90 this year). I was particularly surprised since the celeb needed assistance at the airport - wheelchair and golf buggy at the airport and even needed a walking stick on board. Celeb wife was truly the diva and wanted to exit the plane first even though they wanted special assistance.

CSM had to persuade pax in row 1 to move by bribing them with free champagne to take off the plane - they gave in far too easily if you ask me. Suspect they were not BAEC elites and manage to nab the seats at check-in
I don't know why, but this sort of behaviour by any "celeb" makes my blood boil. And the effect is worse when BA (or any organisation) fawns and panders to them and actually gives in to them. Why do organisations do this - is one of lifes many mysteries. Like all of us, they are only entitled to a seat in the cabin they paid for. Any specific seat should only be decided by FF status or when OLCI opens.

Last edited by BOH; Apr 2, 12 at 3:37 am
BOH is offline  
Old Apr 2, 12, 3:38 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,513
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
I don't know why, but this sort of behaviour by any "celeb" makes my blood boil. And the effect is worse when BA (or any organisation) fawns and panders to them and actually gives in to them. Is one of lifes many mysteries - like all of us, they are only entitled to a seat in the cabin they paid for. Any specific seat should only be decided by FF status or when OLCI opens.
I feel the same. It seems to me that such behaviour is abusing their position, a position which the public have put them in. As such it feels like an abuse of us, the public. Nobody like that. Like other I would have felt like telling them to sling their hooks, but that would probably only made the situation worse. And obviously my English reserve would have taken over, so I would have given them a really serious tut!


Up to you KenJohn, but I would have no qualms about naming and shaming them, not that it would help.
ColdWalker is offline  
Old Apr 2, 12, 3:45 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: LHR/LCY
Programs: Meow Mix
Posts: 1,342
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
I don't know why, but this sort of behaviour by any "celeb" makes my blood boil. And the effect is worse when BA (or any organisation) fawns and panders to them and actually gives in to them. Why do organisations do this - is one of lifes many mysteries. Like all of us, they are only entitled to a seat in the cabin they paid for. Any specific seat should only be decided by FF status or when OLCI opens.
+1 They make my bloody boil too.

If I was asked in Row 1 to move to 2 for a celebrity I would have just plainly said no... I grabbed these seats for a reason!

And bribing the people at row 1 with champagne - they simply caved in too easily. Maybe a free J ticket from LHR to SYD return then maybe....

/AE
angeloedades is offline  
Old Apr 2, 12, 3:45 am
  #7  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,507
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
I don't know why, but this sort of behaviour by any "celeb" makes my blood boil. And the effect is worse when BA (or any organisation) fawns and panders to them and actually gives in to them. Why do organisations do this - is one of lifes many mysteries. Like all of us, they are only entitled to a seat in the cabin they paid for. Any specific seat should only be decided by FF status or when OLCI opens.
+1

At 90 probably an old [email protected] living on their past fame.

More importantly..........congratulations on your 5000th post

Originally Posted by ColdWalker View Post
Up to you KenJohn, but I would have no qualms about naming and shaming them, not that it would help.
Name and shame
PETER01 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 12, 3:48 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,513
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
.

More importantly..........congratulations on your 5000th post
Oh yeh! Congratulations! Can I have your autograph?
ColdWalker is offline  
Old Apr 2, 12, 4:06 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MAN/BHX
Programs: ABBA
Posts: 6,026
Originally Posted by KenJohn View Post
This was after a long litany of complaints from the celeb on boarding in through Hollywood diva style (was/is famous on both sides of the pond who will be 90 this year).
I heard madonna was plugging her new song.
paulwuk is offline  
Old Apr 2, 12, 4:11 am
  #10  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Posts: 21,341
I think the OP should name and shame the celebrity for the DYKWIA behaviour.
LTN Phobia is offline  
Old Apr 2, 12, 4:15 am
  #11  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,959
I say name and shame
andset1191 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 12, 4:20 am
  #12  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,507
If they were 90 maybe have a guess who it was?
PETER01 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 12, 4:25 am
  #13  
BOH
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Posts: 7,038
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
If they were 90 maybe have a guess who it was?
OP said celeb was gonna be 90 this year. So I reckon Christopher Lee
BOH is offline  
Old Apr 2, 12, 4:37 am
  #14  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,507
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
OP said celeb was gonna be 90 this year. So I reckon Christopher Lee
Probably right. He can't walk far, has a walking stick and his wife is an ex-model = diva.
PETER01 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 12, 4:55 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 9,034
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
I don't know why, but this sort of behaviour by any "celeb" makes my blood boil. And the effect is worse when BA (or any organisation) fawns and panders to them and actually gives in to them. Why do organisations do this - is one of lifes many mysteries. Like all of us, they are only entitled to a seat in the cabin they paid for. Any specific seat should only be decided by FF status or when OLCI opens.
+1. If I was asked nicely by them, I'd consider moving, but if they acted as described by the OP, I'd downright refuse to move if asked, and would only do so if explicitly told I had to by the crew. I'd then be writing to BA in the strongest terms, and naming the DYKWIA them via all social media outlets available to me

Pandering to them like that just encourages their childish behaviour IMO.
Paralytic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread