Using BA miles for AA travel

Old Apr 1, 12, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Using BA miles for AA travel

I'm having difficulty trying to use BA miles for AA travel. Can this only be booked by contacting either airlines customer service? Thanks
Old Apr 1, 12, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by derby44 View Post
I'm having difficulty trying to use BA miles for AA travel. Can this only be booked by contacting either airlines customer service? Thanks
Yes - BA website is shite for this. Check for availability on AA.com then phone BA to book. (Number of miles required will obviously be different to what AA's site tells you - need to refer to BA's award chart). When you call remember to make sure they don't charge you the offline booking fee.
Old Apr 1, 12, 8:24 am

Programs: AA LTPlat; UA Plat; MR LTT; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by derby44 View Post
It all depends upon what you are trying to book. As noted above, the BA site can be a problem, but so is contacting BA by phone; I have never had less than a 20 minute hold before getting through, and more often significantly longer. However, if this is for an AA flight that BA does not fly, I would keep trying the website (while you are on hold); I have more luck booking this type of AA flight on the BA website. (There is a work-around talked about somewhere here for situations where both BA and AA have flights; it involves, IIRC, searching until you get a date that has no BA availability, only AA availablity, and then using the 7 day back/forward button.) Also, make sure it is available first as a milesaaver on AA using AA miles.
Old Apr 1, 12, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Ord Liza View Post
It all depends upon what you are trying to book. As noted above, the BA site can be a problem, but so is contacting BA by phone; I have never had less than a 20 minute hold before getting through, and more often significantly longer. However, if this is for an AA flight that BA does not fly, I would keep trying the website (while you are on hold); I have more luck booking this type of AA flight on the BA website. (There is a work-around talked about somewhere here for situations where both BA and AA have flights; it involves, IIRC, searching until you get a date that has no BA availability, only AA availablity, and then using the 7 day back/forward button.) Also, make sure it is available first as a milesaaver on AA using AA miles.
This is a AA flight that BA does not fly. BOS-CUN. AA shows 70,000 points needed for itinerary and I've tried to book myself yet haven't had any luck. Any idea what number of BA points would be needed for this itinerary for 2/16/13--2/23/13? Thanks for your response.

Last edited by derby44; Apr 1, 12 at 9:15 am Reason: Changed departure airport from PWM to BOS--no AA flights from PWM
Old Apr 1, 12, 9:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This is a BAEC / Avios concern, regardless of the airline intended for the use of points. The question is redirected to the BAEC Forum. Thanks! /Moderator
Old Apr 1, 12, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by derby44
Originally Posted by Ord Liza View Post
This is a AA flight that BA does not fly. BOS-CUN. AA shows 70,000 points needed for itinerary and I've tried to book myself yet haven't had any luck. Any idea what number of BA points would be needed for this itinerary for 2/16/13--2/23/13? Thanks for your response.
BA Avios can only be used to secure AA flights that are available at AA's "MileSAAver" award level. If AA wants 70,000 miles for a roundtrip for one person, then AA is only offering you an "AAnytime" award; BA Avios cannot be redeemed for AAnytime-award seats, no matter how many Avios you are willing to pay.

If AA should subsequently make MileSAAver award seats available, then you should be able to secure them with Avios. The actual number of Avios required will depend on your particular routing, as BA uses a distance-based scheme, and charges separately for each flight flown. In many cases, itineraries requiring connections cost more Avios than those that utilize nonstop flights.
Old Apr 1, 12, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

BA Avios can only be used to secure AA flights that are available at AA's "MileSAAver" award level. If AA wants 70,000 miles for a roundtrip for one person, then AA is only offering you an "AAnytime" award; BA Avios cannot be redeemed for AAnytime-award seats, no matter how many Avios you are willing to pay.

If AA should subsequently make MileSAAver award seats available, then you should be able to secure them with Avios. The actual number of Avios required will depend on your particular routing, as BA uses a distance-based scheme, and charges separately for each flight flown. In many cases, itineraries requiring connections cost more Avios than those that utilize nonstop flights.
Thanks very much to guv1976 and JDiver for your help. I hope when I try to book this way in the future it will reap benefits. Not sure we'd apply for the BA 100,000 point offer again. Sure appreciate your info/knowledge.
Old Apr 1, 12, 8:45 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Amex HHonors Surpass, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
Yes - BA website is shite for this. Check for availability on AA.com then phone BA to book. (Number of miles required will obviously be different to what AA's site tells you - need to refer to BA's award chart). When you call remember to make sure they don't charge you the offline booking fee.
BA's website is absolutely stupid and ridiculous when it comes to booking US domestic travel on AA with Avios points. I'm currently trying to book LAX-DCA for October of this year and BA says "there are no flights available" anytime within 2 weeks of my desired travel dates. Same thing goes when I try to book SNA-DCA. Yet when I go to AA.com I see tons of MileSaaver flights available on those days.

I'm going to take your advice and give them a call.
Old Apr 1, 12, 9:43 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
We booked a PEK to LHR last night with BA miles, plus $900 business class.

Glad to move the BA miles, wife is Asian, Nice trip for her sister to see her son graduate from Cambridge.
Old Apr 9, 12, 3:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Interpol View Post
BA's website is absolutely stupid and ridiculous when it comes to booking US domestic travel on AA with Avios points. I'm currently trying to book LAX-DCA for October of this year and BA says "there are no flights available" anytime within 2 weeks of my desired travel dates. Same thing goes when I try to book SNA-DCA. Yet when I go to AA.com I see tons of MileSaaver flights available on those days.

I'm going to take your advice and give them a call.
Wondering how that call went. I found a one-way from TUL-SAT on AA metal using avios. Had trouble with the BA website (unrelated to availability), so I called BA to book it. They told me only first class was available. About an hour later, I was able to use the website. There was my flight in coach for 4500 avios.

Does anyone know if it policy that all AA MilesAAver awards are available to book with Avios. I know very few show up online, and I don't trust the information I get when calling.

Search this Thread