Wiki Posts
Search

BA or AA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2012, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
BA or AA

I have two options for an upcoming trip and was wondering what the experts on here would recommend:

Either
BA FRA-LHR-LAS in J

or
AA FRA-DFW-LAS in J

I'm fairly familiar with the BA product but only had one experience on AA domestic Y (been trying very hard to forget it). I assume the AA domestic legs would book in F? Any difference in tier points on the two routes?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I've never flown AA J - but I have walked through the cabin from F on a B777. On that alone I wouldn't hesitate at choosing BA.

The seats on the B777 in J are 2x3x2 and they looked quite cramped.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:03 am

For me it would be BA FRA-LHR-LAS as it would be J on a 744 (over a 777 on AA). That swings it enough for me.

Your LHR-LAS flight will be crewed by Mixed Fleet, but I have never experienced any of the horrors that some on FT have - I find them extremely friendly, helpful and passionate. I would not avoid a flight on the basis of it being MF operated.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

On AA you would need to clear customs and immigration in DFW then get a domestic F to LAS . ON BA you would clear in LAS.

As a BA gold you should be able to get an upper deck seat on the 747 LHR-LAS flight.

Tier points on AA = 140+60 for the F cabin DFW-LAS=200 o/w
Tier points on BA= 40 ( for inter european ) + 140 =180 o/w

Slightly more tier points on AA but the general view i think is that BA J > AA J ( YMMV) plus you get GF at LHR T5.

I would probably choose BA

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Thanks. Will probably go BA then. UD or maybe MFU to F outweighs 20 TP.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by sschwenk
Thanks. Will probably go BA then. UD or maybe MFU to F outweighs 20 TP.

That would also be my choice!

cs
Old Mar 31, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I've never flown AA J - but I have walked through the cabin from F on a B777. On that alone I wouldn't hesitate at choosing BA.

The seats on the B777 in J are 2x3x2 and they looked quite cramped.
I can't back this up with precise measurements but, having flown both, I'm pretty sure AA's 777 J seat is wider.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
No question, BA!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Yep, BA all the way. Have to say though the f&b on AA is better I think.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:51 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I can't back this up with precise measurements but, having flown both, I'm pretty sure AA's 777 J seat is wider.
Of only academic interest since FRA-DFW is presently operated using 763 equipment. The J seats on AA's 767s are actually a little narrower than those on AA's 777s, but still, I believe, a little wider than BA's.

Most of us think that AA's J service on the 763s is a real step up over comparable 777 flights, closer to F than 777 J (better staff/passenger ratio, etc.) And although the seats aren't flat beds, they're pretty comfortable (to me) and if you get one of the middle pair, nobody climbing over you since it's 2-2-2.

DFW is a breeze for immigration etc. - I recently did a international > domestic transfer (different terminal) in 25 min. all in.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
A small dissenting voice crying in the wilderness here!

On the way back to FRA it will be more tedious to get off a longhaul and then have to go on a shorthaul than just getting off a longhaul and going home.

Which is an argument in favour of AA.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

On AA you would need to clear customs and immigration in DFW then get a domestic F to LAS . ON BA you would clear in LAS.

As a BA gold you should be able to get an upper deck seat on the 747 LHR-LAS flight.

Tier points on AA = 140+60 for the F cabin DFW-LAS=200 o/w
Tier points on BA= 40 ( for inter european ) + 140 =180 o/w

Slightly more tier points on AA but the general view i think is that BA J > AA J ( YMMV) plus you get GF at LHR T5.

I would probably choose BA

Regards

TBS
Absolutely agree with TBS. BA is best choice. Not so sure about any TP advantage with AA. In my experience, a J ticket on AA with domestic connection puts you in the First cabin (on two-class plane) for the domestic sector but with ticket showing 'Business' and with J TPs = 40TPs. If the domestic flight is on three-class: you get seated in Biz.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: BA-Gold (dropping to Silver soon); AA & Flying Blue; Top Gear (the Clarkson years); Doctor Who :)
Originally Posted by sschwenk
I have two options for an upcoming trip and was wondering what the experts on here would recommend:

Either
BA FRA-LHR-LAS in J

or
AA FRA-DFW-LAS in J

I'm fairly familiar with the BA product but only had one experience on AA domestic Y (been trying very hard to forget it). I assume the AA domestic legs would book in F? Any difference in tier points on the two routes?
Got to ask - why did you not also post the same on the AA board? My poor psychology skills suggest that maybe you wanted support for a BA decision rather than an evenhanded response which could have fallen onto the AA side?

Have to say that is what I would have done - as I would have wanted the BA option supported/chosen for me

Regarding Sixth Freedom concern over LH/SH order - could you go BA FRA to LAS (via LHR) but AA back (via DFW). Again not my preference but is it even practical?

Either way - enjoy LAS - or at least the destination
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Simple. Flatbed wins over non-flatbed every time. AA's current J seat is probably the worst wedgie bed I've flown, ever. OK for a daytime flight though it feels quite cramped. Very disappointing for an overnight.

AA Domestic F is perfectly pleasant though check the meal windows. Some flights where you'd expect a decent meal are only a snack.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gash
Got to ask - why did you not also post the same on the AA board?
Cross-posting is a no-no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.