Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice please: Looking to fly (from UK) into Canada and back to UK from USA

Old Mar 28, 12, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Hello all,

I have never done a flight like this before, but I am sure t must be something that happens fairly regularly...

I am looking (next Aprl) to take a holiday on the Pacific coast, and was looking to fly from LHR to YVR, stay a week then get an internal flight down to SFO, stay another week then fly back to LHR.

Obviously, I am flying into Canada and returning from the USA. Could/will this be probelmatic? Is there anything I need to know/do?

Is it best to do it this way LHR-YVR-SFO-LHR or might it work better in reverse LHR-SFO-YVR-LHR?

If anyone has done this (kind of) trip before, any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old Mar 28, 12, 12:46 pm

This happens very regularly as you describe.

Choose the multi-city option on BA.com and plug in your flights that you need. I would advise trying BA for LHR-YVR then SFO-LHR.

The YVR-SFO can be on any carrier as it is a short flight. Random search shows that Alaska, Air Canada, WestJet and United fly the route - I haven't checked the lo-cost airlines.

Flying into Canada and out of the US is not an issue.
Old Mar 28, 12, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
You can do the trip in any order. You will pass through Canadian immigration on arrival into YVR and US immigration on arrival into SFO (you will need a visa waiver if GB citizen).

What you are booking is a multi city/open jaw trip with a transborder flight.
Old Mar 28, 12, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
You can do the trip in any order. You will pass through Canadian immigration on arrival into YVR and US immigration on arrival into SFO (you will need a visa waiver if GB citizen).

Hi,

If flying from YVR to SFO, you will " pre clear" US immigration customs at YVR ( ie you go through customs at YVR and once at SFO you are treated like a domestic arrival with no immigration or customs at SFO)

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 28, 12, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,

If flying from YVR to SFO, you will " pre clear" US immigration customs at YVR ( ie you go through customs at YVR and once at SFO you are treated like a domestic arrival with no immigration or customs at SFO)

Regards

TBS
+ 1

OP - You will be fine. I've done in and out E coast US and Canada quite a bit including flights just in transit.
Old Mar 28, 12, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

It sounds to me like this isn't going to be the problem I thought it might be.

I had visions of there being immigration issues flying into Canada but back out of USA.

As far as booking the actual flight with BA, is there any advantage/disadvantage in choosing to fly into YVR and home from SFO over the other way around?

Many thanks for the assistance
Kevin
Old Mar 28, 12, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by KevinM2 View Post
It sounds to me like this isn't going to be the problem I thought it might be.

I had visions of there being immigration issues flying into Canada but back out of USA.

As far as booking the actual flight with BA, is there any advantage/disadvantage in choosing to fly into YVR and home from SFO over the other way around?

Many thanks for the assistance
Kevin
Open jaws are priced as two half-returns (e.g. (LHR-SEA-LHR /2) + (LHR-YVR-LHR /2)), so the fare will be influenced by (possibly) the choice of cabin, days of the week (weekday or weekend), season, fare bucket availability and the restrictions you are prepared to accept (adv purchase, fees for cancellation and changes).
Old Mar 28, 12, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dunk View Post
Open jaws are priced as two half-returns (e.g. (LHR-SEA-LHR /2) + (LHR-YVR-LHR /2)), so the fare will be influenced by (possibly) the choice of cabin, days of the week (weekday or weekend), season, fare bucket availability and the restrictions you are prepared to accept (adv purchase, fees for cancellation and changes).
Thanks for that, so no advantage in choosing one route over the other, other than the actual fare for that paticular day of travel.

Am I right in thinking that this type of ticket will need to be done over the phone (with a 30ish fee per passenger)? There are going to be 4 of us travelling, and hoping to book WT+ with MFU to J for all four of us.

That's why I am planning now, 12 months in advance, but just need to wait for the next BA sale
Old Mar 28, 12, 1:47 pm

As you are MFUing then you will need to call BA to book. You may be able to get them to waive the offline fee - I have had about 50% luck as a silver. If it was a regular booking you could do a multicity on ba.com with no extra fees.

You probably have to wait until June for a fare sale covering this time next year. If the dates you have in mind are important you may want to consider booking outside the sale (ugh!!) - or at least keep a very regular eye in MFU availability. YVR is a popular route and SFO availability seems to have gone from fantastic to at best average recently.
Old Mar 28, 12, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
That's why I am planning now, 12 months in advance, but just need to wait for the next BA sale
Alas that probably won't work as the BA sale fares tend to be quite short dated. The current TATL WT+ sale fares (buy before April 10) are valid until September 30.
Old Mar 28, 12, 1:55 pm

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
You might find that a single ticket LHR-YVR (BA) YVR-SFO (?) SFO-LHR (BA) is cheaper than two separate tickets even with stops in YVR and SFO. Last year Kayak sold me a LHR-LAX-BOS-YYZ-LHR ticket (UA+AC) with stops where I wanted for less than the cost of a LHR-BOS round trip on the same dates

If YVR has a US immigration pre-clearance checkpoint then going UK-Canada-USA might involve slightly less queuing than going UK-USA-Canada but I don't think there is much in it.

Having a longer overnight flight home with plenty of time to sleep is also nice.
Old Mar 28, 12, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matthewuk View Post
As you are MFUing then you will need to call BA to book. You may be able to get them to waive the offline fee - I have had about 50% luck as a silver. If it was a regular booking you could do a multicity on ba.com with no extra fees.

You probably have to wait until June for a fare sale covering this time next year. If the dates you have in mind are important you may want to consider booking outside the sale (ugh!!) - or at least keep a very regular eye in MFU availability. YVR is a popular route and SFO availability seems to have gone from fantastic to at best average recently.
Fortunately, I have flexibility for almost all of April next year, and can travel out and back anytime between 5th April and 3rd May, so I am hoping that felxibility will help me.

I don't think April 2013 flights are up to book yet, are they?
Old Mar 28, 12, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rruaco View Post
You might find that a single ticket LHR-YVR (BA) YVR-SFO (?) SFO-LHR (BA) is cheaper than two separate tickets even with stops in YVR and SFO. Last year Kayak sold me a LHR-LAX-BOS-YYZ-LHR ticket (UA+AC) with stops where I wanted for less than the cost of a LHR-BOS round trip on the same dates

If YVR has a US immigration pre-clearance checkpoint then going UK-Canada-USA might involve slightly less queuing than going UK-USA-Canada but I don't think there is much in it.

Having a longer overnight flight home with plenty of time to sleep is also nice.
Good point...I think I will plan on visiting YVR first and then flying back from SFO, unless of course the MFU dictates that the only seats avaialble mean it has to be done the other way.
Old Mar 29, 12, 3:59 am

I don't think April 2013 flights are up to book yet, are they?
Not yet - I think fares open up about 355 days in advance.

Originally Posted by rruaco View Post
I've given up on worrying about US immigration wait times. I always found SFO to be a breeze but last time it took an hour and a half which at the time felt an eternity. That is, until you consider it usually takes 45 minutes for baggage there and the flight got in 30 minutes early anyway. So really the delay from immigration was only 15 minutes over the time I expected us to exit the airport and I think that's as bad as I've had it at SFO in many many years. Not reason enough to change a routing or get a later flight!!
Old Mar 29, 12, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post

Are you sure about highlighted bit? If you have a valid ESTA (or apply for one prior to the trip), you don't need to fill in an I-94W. Indeed I thought UK citizens had to use ESTA now?

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me could confirm?

Search this Thread