Wiki Posts
Search

Transporting Ashes Overseas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ritz Rewards
Transporting Ashes Overseas

A dear friend of mine passed a few days ago and his widow would like to take his ashes from the US to the UK.

She hopes to fly BA278 in a few weeks.

Does anybody know if there are restrictions or any charges she might incur?

Any help with this would be very appreciated.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Firstly, condolences to your friends widow, and yourself. The passing of someone close is never easy.

I can not see any problems bringing ashes into the UK, obviously they would be carried as hand luggage, and the only slight issue I may foresee, is taking them through security at LAX. I don't know what their thoughts would be on it?

However, I hope all goes well, and wish her a safe flight.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Lidl Plus
Sincere condolences. However it would appear the transporting the ashes is unlikely to present much of a problem: the following is taken from the BA website:

Cremated remains can be carried on board our flights in either your hand baggage or checked baggage.

In order to comply with regulations, you will need to carry with you all necessary documentation, including a Certificate of Death issued by a competent authority from the country of departure. You will also need to ensure that the cremated remains are packed in a sealed outer box or case.

Please note: If you are carrying cremated remains in your hand baggage, full security procedures will be applied and the sealed box or case will be x-rayed at the airport security point.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by davewho??
A dear friend of mine passed a few days ago and his widow would like to take his ashes from the US to the UK.

She hopes to fly BA278 in a few weeks.

Does anybody know if there are restrictions or any charges she might incur?

Any help with this would be very appreciated.
Condolonces to your friends.
I was once at T4 when a person had their brother in an urn and it was during the strict ONE bag for ALL passengers no exception. However the security let the individual through and there were no issues that they had to check in anything. I would Imagine it is the same in the US.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
We were advised not to use a metallic or ceramic container, A wooden one with plastic insert was used during transport as per TSA regulation.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: Meh!
My condolences likewise.

In answer to your query, this website and this TSA one is useful for the US position. BA's position is set out on their website here. Lastly, this website appears to set out the UK position.

I trust the above assists you at this difficult time.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
I think there was another piece of paper that I had to have, as well as the death certificate.

Be sure to tell the security people exactly what it is and demand that it is treated properly so that the departed gentleman doesn't disappear through the cracks in the conveyer belt because some idiot screener opened the container.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA, VS,
A wooden casket is fine for transporting the Ashes into the uk. You will need a copy of the death certificate, a copy of the cremation certificate and a declaration of contents letter which can be issued by the funeral home in the US.

there no reporting requirements for the ashes entering the UK, you will need the cremation certificte for any formal disposal of the ashes in the UK (burial in a cemetery etc).

Good luck, if you need any further information please feel free to PM me.

Stuart
(a UK funeral director)
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ritz Rewards
Many thanks for all the help you have offered. Thanks also for all your kind comments.

Dave
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If your friend was a UK citizen it may be useful to contact the nearest British Consulate to see if there are any other requirements such as informing the UK Coroner and the Pensions Agency that may be required.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA, VS,
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If your friend was a UK citizen it may be useful to contact the nearest British Consulate to see if there are any other requirements such as informing the UK Coroner and the Pensions Agency that may be required.
hM coroner has no part to play in the importation of ashes. The death of a UK citizen does not legally need to be registered in the UK, the Am erican death certificate will be sufficient for administering an estate and gaining probate if necessary.

Stuart
Old May 23, 2016, 12:45 pm

Ashes to usa

Stuart
Is this the same paperwork requirement sending ashes to USA?

Originally Posted by stuart101
A wooden casket is fine for transporting the Ashes into the uk. You will need a copy of the death certificate, a copy of the cremation certificate and a declaration of contents letter which can be issued by the funeral home in the US.

there no reporting requirements for the ashes entering the UK, you will need the cremation certificte for any formal disposal of the ashes in the UK (burial in a cemetery etc).

Good luck, if you need any further information please feel free to PM me.

Stuart
(a UK funeral director)
Old May 23, 2016, 1:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Pippih
Stuart
Is this the same paperwork requirement sending ashes to USA?
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Pippih, it is good to see you here but I guess it's going to be a sad context that brings you here. I hope Stuart will see your message, he is active here, but you may also want to send him a Private Message as well. You can do this by right clicking on his name in his previous post. I wish I could be more helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.