Quick value question

Old Mar 24, 12, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Quick value question

I'm planning to use Avios to fly from Amsterdam to Barcelona over Easter weekend. I was thinking a one way flight but do need to get back (Ryanair, etc look to be much cheaper for my return flight so I'll probably use them). I'm going to have a 2 day stopover in London.

My question is this: is it worth it to pay up (in both miles and cash) to get Business for the (short) flights? Economy is 12,000 miles + $40. Business is 24,000 miles + $52.

I've never flown BA short haul, so I don't know how much value there is in Business. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 24, 12, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Also, if this is just a colossal waste of miles in general, say that too. Flights in general seem to be pricey for Easter weekend.
Old Mar 24, 12, 8:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GCH, AA LTG
Value, or lack thereof, is generally in the eye of the beholder!

Price up the cash equivalent and see how much those Avios are worth, monetarily for that booking. Does that seem like a good deal to you? Are you planning to use your Avios for other journey in the future? How many do you have? How many do you need? How long does it take for you to collect them?

All these are questions that only you can answer, and only you can make the final judgement.

rb211.
Old Mar 24, 12, 8:43 pm

I think either way it's a decent use of miles. That said, I never pay for premium cabin short-hauls in any currency (miles, cash, etc... but would of course take the seat if offered).

If you're curious as to the differences between economy and business on the short-haul...

...seats are the same but the middle seat will be blocked in business.
...food is served in both classes, but economy will be a small snack whereas business will be a more substantial snack (or meal on longer short-hauls).
...business ticket comes with lounge access (the lounge in AMS is not much to write home about, but the lounges in LHR are pretty nice. I don't believe there is a lounge for short-haul pax at LCY, but I've only flown into and not out of LCY).

Personally I'd go for the Y redemption assuming that you find it a good value relative to the cash fare.
Old Mar 24, 12, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Personally I only ever pay for CE for the TPs. The service is much nicer than ET but I don't think its ever good "value" when it costs at least £59 extra. Since I have lounge access I'm only paying for a slightly better seat, probably a lot more space (seats around are often empty), and an average meal.

If it was me, I'd save the extra 12,000 miles for something more exciting (or spend the cash on a really nice dinner before the flight in Barcelona!)
Old Mar 25, 12, 4:50 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by emonrad87 View Post
I'm planning to use Avios to fly from Amsterdam to Barcelona over Easter weekend. I was thinking a one way flight but do need to get back (Ryanair, etc look to be much cheaper for my return flight so I'll probably use them). I'm going to have a 2 day stopover in London.

My question is this: is it worth it to pay up (in both miles and cash) to get Business for the (short) flights? Economy is 12,000 miles + $40. Business is 24,000 miles + $52.

I've never flown BA short haul, so I don't know how much value there is in Business. Any thoughts?
London to barcalona return club Europe is 30k and 34 pounds so, your trip doesn't sound great value to me
Old Mar 25, 12, 5:52 am

Programs: ABBA
Is the ryanair (spit) flight direct?

I'd use the miles to do a return in ET rather than CE out Ryanair return.
Old Mar 25, 12, 6:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... (Ryanair, etc look to be much cheaper for my return flight so I'll probably use them)...
CAVEAT Ryanair often look cheaper ... until it's time to pay! Look very, very carefully at all the extras such as 6 charge per flight per passenger to print your own boarding pass, the 6 charge per flight per passenger to pay for the flight, the 2 charge per flight per passenger for the EU 261 Levy, the high checked-baggage fees, the strictly enforced hand luggage allowance, the 60 per passenger per flight fee if you do not print your own BP and take it with you, the ... ...

Ryanair is nothing like JetBlue or Southwest ...
Old Mar 25, 12, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips so far, everyone. Especially the caveats about Ryanair. When I fly domestically in the US, I do usually fly Southwest and don't check bags or care about any of the amenities. I'm pretty much a complete novice when it comes to the status/different cabin airlines.

I'm going to book later today I think.
Old Mar 25, 12, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paulwuk View Post
Is the ryanair (spit) flight direct?

I'd use the miles to do a return in ET rather than CE out Ryanair return.
I don't know if it's direct or not. I'm really going to be coming from Cadiz/Jerez rather than Barcelona for the return to Amsterdam. Then I fly from Amsterdam back to the states.
Old Mar 25, 12, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
Ryanair is nothing like JetBlue or Southwest ...
Southwest pretends it's a LowCo but in reality they are usually more expensive than the larger carriers. JetBlue also prices in line with the network carriers.

The only "real" lowcost carrier in the US is Spirit.
Old Mar 25, 12, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with less miles and more cash for the booking. This is what I got:

Outbound - Sunday 8 April 2012
Flight 10:20
8 Apr
10:25
8 Apr
Amsterdam Gatwick (London) BA2759
British Airways
Euro Traveller
Outbound - Tuesday 10 April 2012
Flight 18:30
10 Apr
21:30
10 Apr
Heathrow (London) Barcelona BA0482
British Airways
Euro Traveller

Avios 6000
Payment for flights booked with British Airways
will appear as a separate item on your statement as British Airways Plc.
$ 125.00

The flight would have been 530 Euro ($690), so I figured I got close to 9 CPM in value here ([690-125]/6000). This seemed better than 5.5 CPM by only paying $40 ([690-40]/12000).

Am I looking at it the right way?

Also, for the return flight it looks like Iberia has flights from Jerez-Madrid-AMS so I will probably do that.
Old Mar 25, 12, 1:45 pm

Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with less miles and more cash for the booking...
Am I looking at it the right way?
That's part of it. Another part is the value you could have extracted from those miles doing something else with them. But if your plan works for you, it works!

rb211.
Old Mar 25, 12, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
That's part of it. Another part is the value you could have extracted from those miles doing something else with them. But if your plan works for you, it works!

rb211.
Got it, thanks.

Prices seemed jacked up due to the short time frame and Easter weekend, so I am happy with it. Glad to hear I'm not totally off base (I've wasted some miles pretty badly in the past).
Old Mar 25, 12, 8:23 pm

Got it, thanks.

Prices seemed jacked up due to the short time frame and Easter weekend, so I am happy with it. Glad to hear I'm not totally off base (I've wasted some miles pretty badly in the past).
If you are happy with it, then that is all that matters.

If prices are high and you didn't need the Avios/TPs that would be gained from a cash booking, then this is probably a good decision in most people's book! Have a great flight.

rb211.

Search this Thread