Q: club euro deals

Old Mar 23, 12, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Q: club euro deals

I have been looking at club euro deals (business class plus 3 nights accommodation) on ba website, and wondering if anyone has used it or thought about it. Here are my questions:

1. Do you think these are good values? As an example, London to Barcelona, normally GBP 510pp - now 389pp. Return Y fares LHR-BCN are around 200 (20 tier points each way or 40 tier points return?). Return J fares LHR-BCN are more than 400 (40 tier points each way, or 80 tier points return?). So, I guess these deals are good values, as they also include 3 nights accommodation. However, I have had bad experiences with hotel accommodation booked via airlines - we tended to get the worst rooms - even at 4* and 5* hotels! Has anyone experienced this?

2. I am currently with QF frequent flyer program (Gold - which is equivalent to BAEC Silver). I do not need to qualify for another year, so I want to do tier runs with BA this year. Hubby is a QF platinum and he needs to do tier runs now. I have joined us with BAEC - bottom tier. If I book these club euro deals, I will put my BAEC number down, but can hubby earn tier & points with his QFF number?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 23, 12, 7:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by A1pax View Post
Hubby is a QF platinum and he needs to do tier runs now. I have joined us with BAEC - bottom tier. If I book these club euro deals, I will put my BAEC number down, but can hubby earn tier & points with his QFF number?
Firstly, I am not sure why you want to do a TP run for BAEC when you are QF Gold, unless you are able to get to BA Gold with your TP runs. Wouldn't you be better off getting QF Platinum instead, unless you are moving to Europe?

I am not sure what you are asking, but your husband will need to record his QFF for his flight in the booking in order to earn the SCs and points from the BA flights. I am sure you are aware of this already but he will not earn SCs for the flights you take - only the ones he takes.
Old Mar 23, 12, 7:32 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Answer: Club Euro Deals

This is a large bunch of questions! Just trying to answer some of them.

1.) You just check additionally the fares for your route without any accomodation. This means a "normal" reservation through ba.com. At the moment they have very nice fares for some routes.

Due to the fact that I am based in Munich, Germany I donīt know the specific prices for your route. But MUC-LHR-MUC is sometimes (and with some weeks advanced booking) available for approx. 320 EUR (r/t, all-in). This is equal to approx. 267 GBP. So if you plan to travel in several weeks and can accept a non-refundable fare this is a great deal.

Euro Traveller is in most cases even cheaper and often nearly as low as low-cot-carriers if you think about the travel time/costs from far away airports to the city centres.

So check them for your destination.

2.) As far as I know you can change the FF programme and number until the boarding card has been printed. You can also type in NO FF number and programm and later send the "empty" boarding pass for a retroactive request for miles. In that case no status or whatsoever would be printed on it.

Just look which booking class the fare has and then decide in which programme the flight should be credited.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old Mar 23, 12, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
You dont have to stay at the hotel if you dont want to.
Just go take the slightly cheaper ticket price.
Old Mar 23, 12, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Firstly, I am not sure why you want to do a TP run for BAEC when you are QF Gold, unless you are able to get to BA Gold with your TP runs. Wouldn't you be better off getting QF Platinum instead, unless you are moving to Europe?

I am not sure what you are asking, but your husband will need to record his QFF for his flight in the booking in order to earn the SCs and points from the BA flights. I am sure you are aware of this already but he will not earn SCs for the flights you take - only the ones he takes.
Hi LTN Phobia - Thanks for your reply. Sorry I did not explain myself well.

We were from Sydney, Australia, but have now moved to live in London, UK. With the QFF program, hubby has attained the lifetime silver status with them - which is nothing and useless. However, he is aiming for lifetime gold which gives him access to lounges forever. So, he does not want to change to BAEC until after he gets his QFF lifetime gold.

I, on the other hand, would like to get BAEC Silver (equivalent to my QFF gold) this year, if possible and stay with BA because the point redemption is not as hard as QF (although others may disagree with me on this).

We plan to go back to Australia once a year, via the US - hence can do tier / status runs there.

Yes, I do understand that hubby and I will get our mileage and tier points separately on our individual accounts. I was not sure if he would be able to get his if I booked for both of us. But, from the answers on the forum, he would get points for his QFF program.
Old Mar 23, 12, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gum View Post
This is a large bunch of questions! Just trying to answer some of them.

1.) You just check additionally the fares for your route without any accomodation. This means a "normal" reservation through ba.com. At the moment they have very nice fares for some routes.

Due to the fact that I am based in Munich, Germany I donīt know the specific prices for your route. But MUC-LHR-MUC is sometimes (and with some weeks advanced booking) available for approx. 320 EUR (r/t, all-in). This is equal to approx. 267 GBP. So if you plan to travel in several weeks and can accept a non-refundable fare this is a great deal.

Euro Traveller is in most cases even cheaper and often nearly as low as low-cot-carriers if you think about the travel time/costs from far away airports to the city centres.

So check them for your destination.

2.) As far as I know you can change the FF programme and number until the boarding card has been printed. You can also type in NO FF number and programm and later send the "empty" boarding pass for a retroactive request for miles. In that case no status or whatsoever would be printed on it.

Just look which booking class the fare has and then decide in which programme the flight should be credited.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hi gum,

Thanks for your answers. Yes, I noted that if we booked well in advance, we could get very attractive fares. I think hubby should be able to earn his mileage & tier points on BA flights.

PS - My sister & hubby are living in Munich until November this year. We will visit them there one time this year.
Old Mar 23, 12, 7:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by A1pax View Post

I, on the other hand, would like to get BAEC Silver (equivalent to my QFF gold) this year, if possible and stay with BA because the point redemption is not as hard as QF (although others may disagree with me on this).
Bear in mind, if you "only just" make it to QF Gold, that some TP earn ratio is lower with BAEC than with QF. E.g. LHR-WAW in CE earns 60 SCs with QF, 40 SCs with BAEC. Make sure that you do not end up shooting yourself in the foot by changing the scheme without examining your flying patterns properly. I have seen people fall short by assuming that BAEC TP earn is the same as QF SC earn. It's not a problem if you easily make it to QF Gold as 20 TP differences here and there will not make a huge difference to the total number. Also, PE bookings credit at a higher TP with BAEC than with QFFF so that makes up for some of the lower TP earnings.

It's all about the routes and classes you fly. Be careful with TP runs in Australia as well, as TP earn on many QF domestic routes is different for BAEC from QFFF from memory.

Redemption availability would be about the same for BAEC and QFFF, if that is your main interest. I have never seen any differences between the two except for the status-based availabilities. Be very careful splitting miles/points from your husband's scheme, as it can cause shortfalls in miles/points for what you want to book because the miles/points are scattered (whereas you can do a family transfer with QF) and could result in your not getting what you want because of it. Unless you have a large number of miles/points, it's often advisable to pool them into one scheme within the family within the same alliance (different matter of course if you are splitting them between different alliances). You also forgo the minimum points guarantee on QF domestic flights if you are crediting to BAEC, and you also miss out on loyalty bonuses, so if that is an issue for you, you need to consider things carefully.

Yes, I do understand that hubby and I will get our mileage and tier points separately on our individual accounts. I was not sure if he would be able to get his if I booked for both of us. But, from the answers on the forum, he would get points for his QFF program.
Who books the flights/package is irrelevant. As long as his membership number is entered into the booking (or is registered at the time of check-in), he will get his SCs/miles.
Old Mar 23, 12, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Bear in mind, if you "only just" make it to QF Gold, that some TP earn ratio is lower with BAEC than with QF. E.g. LHR-WAW in CE earns 60 SCs with QF, 40 SCs with BAEC. Make sure that you do not end up shooting yourself in the foot by changing the scheme without examining your flying patterns properly. I have seen people fall short by assuming that BAEC TP earn is the same as QF SC earn. It's not a problem if you easily make it to QF Gold as 20 TP differences here and there will not make a huge difference to the total number. Also, PE bookings credit at a higher TP with BAEC than with QFFF so that makes up for some of the lower TP earnings.

It's all about the routes and classes you fly. Be careful with TP runs in Australia as well, as TP earn on many QF domestic routes is different for BAEC from QFFF from memory.

Redemption availability would be about the same for BAEC and QFFF, if that is your main interest. I have never seen any differences between the two except for the status-based availabilities. Be very careful splitting miles/points from your husband's scheme, as it can cause shortfalls in miles/points for what you want to book because the miles/points are scattered (whereas you can do a family transfer with QF) and could result in your not getting what you want because of it. Unless you have a large number of miles/points, it's often advisable to pool them into one scheme within the family within the same alliance (different matter of course if you are splitting them between different alliances). You also forgo the minimum points guarantee on QF domestic flights if you are crediting to BAEC, and you also miss out on loyalty bonuses, so if that is an issue for you, you need to consider things carefully.

Who books the flights/package is irrelevant. As long as his membership number is entered into the booking (or is registered at the time of check-in), he will get his SCs/miles.
Hi LTN Phobia

Thanks again, for pointing out the different earnings for SC / tier points on QF and BA. I will check QF website for these points and compare them against BA.

Much appreciated views from the forum on these "subtle" differences.
Old Mar 23, 12, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I have been on a few of these deals - the last to Rome in Feb. They advertise one of the cheaper hotels but you can select others. We stayed in the Intercontinental. I booked it in December when they had the Xmas offers on - Ģ880 for two for CE and 3 nights which I thought was pretty good.

If you're just looking for cheap flights then stick around here. There was a 25% off CE offer on that has sadly just ended. Usually after Taste of London there is another offer (10% off all flights last year) as well as all the various sales.
Old Mar 23, 12, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Club Euro?

I am sure that Club Euro will be forced to offer some quite spectacular deals in Greece later this year. And maybe Spain and Portugal next year.

Old Mar 23, 12, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by srbrenna View Post
I have been on a few of these deals - the last to Rome in Feb. They advertise one of the cheaper hotels but you can select others. We stayed in the Intercontinental. I booked it in December when they had the Xmas offers on - Ģ880 for two for CE and 3 nights which I thought was pretty good.

If you're just looking for cheap flights then stick around here. There was a 25% off CE offer on that has sadly just ended. Usually after Taste of London there is another offer (10% off all flights last year) as well as all the various sales.
Thank you, srbrenna. Glad to hear that you took up a similar offer and had a positive experience. We just need to choose a good hotel from the range offered - have to pay a little more than the cheapest price advertised.

Yes, I will keep an eye for future CE offers. For now, we are likely to book 2 of these short trips for the next few months - offers finish at the end of this month.

Last edited by A1pax; Mar 23, 12 at 11:00 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 3, 12, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Hi LTN Phobia

Just want to update that you were absolutely right about the TP differences between QF and BA. I have booked club euro flights to PRG and BUD for hubby (QF) and me (BA) and he will get 60 TPs while I will only get 40 TPs on same flights! I want to try BAEC for one year first to see if it is worthwhile before I switch permanently. My gold with QF (equivalent BA silver) still goes for another year. If things do not look good, then I will ditch BAEC and stay with QFF.

Search this Thread