Is it worth doing TP Run for Bronze Status

Old Mar 23, 12, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat, BA Amex PP
Is it worth doing TP Run for Bronze Status

Hello, i am new to the site but have been reading posts for a while.

I am 75 TP from reaching Bronze. Is it worth going on a quick LGW-JER-LGW to attain level or are the benefits not really worth it. My membership year ends at the beginning of May and there are flights available at the end of April for about 260.

Any thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 23, 12, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by acbs View Post
Hello, i am new to the site but have been reading posts for a while.

I am 75 TP from reaching Bronze. Is it worth going on a quick LGW-JER-LGW to attain level or are the benefits not really worth it. My membership year ends at the beginning of May and there are flights available at the end of April for about 260.

Any thoughts.

Thanks in advance
It depends on your flying pattern for the next year.

Bronze gives you a 25% extra Avios when you fly, access to the Club checkin and seat-selection 7 days before your flight.

If you've got a few flights book and it'd save you, for example, paying for seats, then it might be worth it. But, is that worth 260?
Old Mar 23, 12, 7:20 am

Welcome to FT (still fresher myself on the site)

I agree with Paralytic that it depends on your flying patterns. I went for the CE upgrade (69) when I was 30TP from Bronze which was an ok amount but more than that. Also, I was planning for some LH flights and getting the extra Miles is pretty good
By the way I personally think the BLUE card looks much nicer than the Bronze one.
Old Mar 23, 12, 7:22 am

Programs: BA GFL / GGL, Mucci Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
I guess there is also the warm feeling of getting "status". I remember when I used to think that "status" was unachieveable for me - then I got Silver, then Gold and have bounced between the two for the last 8 years. I can't really imagine not having some kind of status with BA... That was in the time of course when checkin queues could be a nightmare and Silver really helped with this.
Old Mar 23, 12, 8:01 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Its YOUR calculation

I think you should calculate the value of BRONZE yourself!

For example take this 260 GBP and deduct the involved advantages/privileges:

+ What is the Jersey run worth for you?
I am NOT a fan of a TP run just arriving at a destination and then climbing back on the same aircraft for the flight back. So if you would fly there on a Saturday, visit the island and enjoy it. This may have value for you.

(Except during hevy rain or snow in December :-))

Deduct that theoretical value from the 260 GBP

Then there is a remainder.

So you can calculate the expected number of flights and on how many segments you would otherwise pay for seating.

Then an amount far less then 100 GBP would be the result.

This would be the equivalent price for:
+ a shiny new card
+ 25 % bonus miles on WT+, Business, First Class (EDIT: Mileage calculator says also 25% bonus on WT)
+ the feeling of status.

This Bronze status will remain for the remainder of the actual membership year and then be valid for one year.

I dont know what this remaining value of less than GBP 100 is worth for you but I think it would be a go.

Last edited by gum; Mar 23, 12 at 8:07 am
Old Mar 23, 12, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond.
I would say proberly not, better to save that TP run and maybe have a shot at silver next membership year if that is viable?

IMHO, club checkin is not needed at T5, but can be nice checking in at an outstation that sometimes have huge que's.

Also if you travel with AA over in the US, Bronze (OW ruby) enables you to standby and the cheapest economy tickets. this has been really useful for me getting earlier flights.
Old Mar 23, 12, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I personally would not consider the benefits of Bronze worth the GBP 250.

Unless you are planning to do a lot of economy flying soon and you feel that the advance seat selection and extra baggage could come in handy.
Old Mar 23, 12, 9:16 am

I'll pipe in with my two cents and likewise suggest that it is probably not worth it, but it is a calculation you will have to make based on how much you value the benefits of bronze.

The soon-to-be Mrs. DaMadCroat recently decided that a 300 TP run was not worth it to retain silver. I was on the fence over whether to recommend she take it or not. Her reasonable argument was that after discounting all the flights she will take on the same PNR as me (and therefore be extended my benefits) in the next year, the 300 in cash would more than make up for the missed silver benefits. Likewise, consider whether you will be flying on the same PNR as other status holders? Will you be flying in J or F? These things would make bronze significantly less valuable on your upcoming trips.

Are you likely to reach silver, or will it be a case of being somewhat close to bronze again next year? If you're headed for silver anyway I'd recommend waiting. Likewise if you suspect you may need to do a TP run for bronze again next year, I'd suggest forgoing the bronze altogether. I would only go for it if you think you will easily renew bronze and simply want to get a head start on the status, and you believe that the value proposition is fair for the TP run.

Welcome to FT, BTW .
Old Mar 23, 12, 9:55 am

Programs: BA silver, CO
This was asked two weeks ago and it was agreed that a run is not worth it in most cases.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...nze-worth.html
Old Mar 23, 12, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Before this thread I was beginning to wonder whether I was the only who thought that TP runs were a complete waste of time and effort.

Sure its nice having status but at the end of the day all it does is allow you entry to a room and save a few minutes of queueing.

I'll take it if someone gives it to me for free but there is no way I would waste time and money traying to get it. For me a flight is ultimately just a means to getting to my destination.
Old Mar 23, 12, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jahason View Post
I'll take it if someone gives it to me for free but there is no way I would waste time and money traying to get it. For me a flight is ultimately just a means to getting to my destination.
Its not quite that simple. I've never done a TP run and would not do so for Bronze. But, if I was a few TPs short of Silver, I'd consider it, depending on the cost.

The 100% status bonus for the flights I do each year results in 10s of thousands of additional Avios that go towards personal flights.

So, it would be a simple calculation - are the potential savings the Avios might bring me worth more than the cost of the flight, taking into account the risk factors in redemption flight availability. I'd also take the free seat selection into account and potentially the small savings of lounge access and not having to buy food/drinks.

I doubt I'd ever do a TP run to reach Gold though.
Old Mar 23, 12, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
Its not quite that simple. I've never done a TP run and would not do so for Bronze. But, if I was a few TPs short of Silver, I'd consider it, depending on the cost.

The 100% status bonus for the flights I do each year results in 10s of thousands of additional Avios that go towards personal flights.

So, it would be a simple calculation - are the potential savings the Avios might bring me worth more than the cost of the flight, taking into account the risk factors in redemption flight availability. I'd also take the free seat selection into account and potentially the small savings of lounge access and not having to buy food/drinks.

I doubt I'd ever do a TP run to reach Gold though.
Agree with everything above. Have also never done a TP run, but I have been known to occasionally take an indirect routing if the timings are convenient and the pricing is similar (i.e. LHR-JFK-DCA instead of LHR-IAD or LHR-BWI). In these cases WTP bookings (even T fares) book into Y or B, and J bookings (usually) book into A on the short-haul, so it's an additional 20-60 TP each way, and sometimes the timings are even more convenient when adding a connection. The downside is that BA.com doesn't automatically spit these options up so you have to create them with multi-city or (more likely) call and book on the phone.
Old Mar 23, 12, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Everything surely hinges on the individual's future flying activity? Transient benefits as a Bronze that then expire, lost and forgotten, are perhaps pointless.

However if there's a longer-term prospect, through accumulating additional Avios or acquiring Silver benefits, then there's an argument for doing a TP run. IF, and only if, there's something downstream that makes that status really worthwhile. One l/h trip a year wouldn't, in my view, make status-chasing worth anything.

One size doesn't fit all.
Old Mar 23, 12, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA/EC Silver
no...
Old Mar 23, 12, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold
What about getting the Platinum Amex for 300 and claiming the Marco Polo Gold, which is the equivalent of BA Silver?

Happy to refer (as will many others be)

Search this Thread