Search

Help re HEX at T5

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Gold,Orchid Silver,QF,BMI, Starwood,Hilton,Hyatt
Help re HEX at T5

Hi regular london flyers.

A bit of advice would be greatly appreciated please.

I'm flying to NCL tomorrow and my boarding pass states that I have to clear security by 09:30.

I'd normally drive to the airport but I've decided to come into London by train and then use the HEX to get to T5, would you say that if the HEX was due to arrive at 09:01 I'd have plenty of time to clear (no hold bags) or would I do better to try to get there earlier?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
That should be enough - as long as the HEX is on time. Doesn't give much room if there is a delay.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think you would probably be ok. The lift from the platform to departures will drop you off close to the north security area. You should be able to get from the train to airside in around 15 minutes.

The HEX leaves every 15 minutes though, so if you can get the earlier one you have more time in case of delays.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Spitfire1

I'm flying to NCL tomorrow and my boarding pass states that I have to clear security by 09:30.

I'd normally drive to the airport but I've decided to come into London by train and then use the HEX to get to T5, would you say that if the HEX was due to arrive at 09:01 I'd have plenty of time to clear (no hold bags) or would I do better to try to get there earlier?

Thanks in advance.
You should be OK as long as they don't lock down the flight - I have sometime struggled as they often "block" boarding passes for flights at T-30minutes - meaning you will get a red light at the BAA security point.....

..personally I would get the slightly earlier HEX and give yourself a margin for error.....
Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am doing exactly the same journey right now. I do it fairly often and don't like to spend too much of my life in T5, so I would be comfortable to take your service, knowing that actually if it ended up 15 minutes late I'd still be OK (the actual scan for conformance is just before security). But I know the system well and can zoom through T5 quickly, whereas judging by some other travellers' experiences there can be delays. Having said that, T5 on Saturday mornings outside school holidays is usually a ghost town.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 6:36 am

Ignore the posters above, you have plenty of time.

What the boarding pass means (rather than states) is that you need to enter security by 09:30 - specifically the point where they scan your boarding pass. This is prior to the actual queuing, x-ray and metal detector.

29 minutes from the train platform to the security entrance is very easy - you can make it even if you miss a train.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 6:53 am

Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by Dealmaker33
You should be OK as long as they don't lock down the flight - I have sometime struggled as they often "block" boarding passes for flights at T-30minutes - meaning you will get a red light at the BAA security point.....

..personally I would get the slightly earlier HEX and give yourself a margin for error.....
Sorry - I misread your first post - I thought your flight DEPARTED at 9.30!!

You will have bags of time in that case - so don't worry....
Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Should be fine. But OLCI and PYOBP just in case.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
One point to add - the time gap between "clearing security" and departure - as shown in Print Your Own Boarding Pass - may only be 20 minutes. You do need to get passed the scan and photo stage just before security at 35 minutes before departure. I'd still be ok with your timings, but something to bear in mind (along with the "what if" - what are the implications of having to go on the next flight?).
Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You don't say which station you will be arriving into London at.

It might be quicker to connect to the picadilly line and just get the all the way rather than having to get to Paddington and then the HEX etc

For example if you arrive at Victoria then get the district line to Hammersmith then cross the platform to the picadilly line.

The HEX might be qicker from Paddington to LHR but it might not be the quickest (or cheapest) overall journey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.