Flatbeds in WTP

Old Mar 23, 12, 4:18 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, Skywards, Hilton Honors and lots of other under-utilised Hotel Schemes
Posts: 316
Flatbeds in WTP

What do people think about sleeping on the floor? Acceptable or not? Came overnight from JFK in WTP in centre aisle seat with two middle seats empty and another guy in the aisle seat the other side.

In the middle of the night having just gone to the restroom, I was fiddlnig with my computer bag and just about to drop in on the floor in the presumed empty floor space in the seat next to me when I noticed a head on the floor belonging to the bloke at the other end of my row.

I just about managed to stop myself dropping the bag on him and there he lay for the next 2/3 hours unnoticed by the crew despite two checks when the seatbelt signs went on.

Am sure it goes on but had never seen it before.
johnashw is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 4:24 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: By the sea...
Programs: BA/EC Silver
Posts: 564
As far as I am aware it is mot acceptable and in breach of the safety rules. Trouble is, that in WTP, the armrests to not raise so sleeping across the row is not possible so i can see why people are tempted...
VolcanoMan is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 4:29 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 475
Crew never checked to see if he was ill?

Somebody who has a need to lie on a floor for several hours inflight like that might have been experiencing ill health and crew couldn't automatically assume he was just doing something wacky like deciding to sleep on a floor.

What happened when the seat belt lights went on during turbulence? He was unsecured?

Wow.
randomflyer is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 4:31 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Silver, TK *S
Posts: 12
Clogging the loos...

I saw this once on a TG flight from LHR to BKK in economy... It was a night flight, everyone had been fed and watered and was sound asleep. I got up to use the loo, went to one of the lavatory areas and someone's grandmother was spread out in the middle of the space fast asleep. You couldn't use about half of the toilets because she was up against the doors and you couldn't open them. As it was the middle of the night there wasn't a queue or anything for the toilets. I just stepped over her and found an empty cubicle that she wasn't blocking...

Definitely one of my more bizarre flying experiences!
bxfresh220 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 4:39 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, Skywards, Hilton Honors and lots of other under-utilised Hotel Schemes
Posts: 316
Originally Posted by randomflyer View Post
Crew never checked to see if he was ill?

Somebody who has a need to lie on a floor for several hours inflight like that might have been experiencing ill health and crew couldn't automatically assume he was just doing something wacky like deciding to sleep on a floor.

What happened when the seat belt lights went on during turbulence? He was unsecured?

Wow.
Feel a bit bad now - never occurred to me that he might have been unwell although he was definitely breathing.

Maybe even should have shopped him to the crew although I would have had no worries about standing on him if I had been forced to move in a hurry.

Ironically there were lots of empty rows in economy to stretch out on legitimately.
johnashw is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 4:50 am
  #6  
Ambassador, Emirates
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LGW / AMS / CPT
Programs: SA KL BA EK
Posts: 2,513
Originally Posted by bxfresh220 View Post
I saw this once on a TG flight from LHR to BKK in economy... It was a night flight, everyone had been fed and watered and was sound asleep. I got up to use the loo, went to one of the lavatory areas and someone's grandmother was spread out in the middle of the space fast asleep. You couldn't use about half of the toilets because she was up against the doors and you couldn't open them. As it was the middle of the night there wasn't a queue or anything for the toilets. I just stepped over her and found an empty cubicle that she wasn't blocking...

Definitely one of my more bizarre flying experiences!
That's what happens if you have to wait for hours whilst a bunch of (usually) women do whatever it is they do in the lavs .
You fall asleep!
thijsseh is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 5:05 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sussex
Posts: 346
It's a big no-no to sleep on the floor. Several reasons: Turbulence, the oxygen level is far lower down at floor level, you could get stepped/stood on, and so on. I'm quite shocked that the crew didn't see this chap, was he hidden under piles of blankets? If that was the case, he would be more difficult to spot, but the crew should have been more observant. You could have said something, of course, saying you were concerned about him being unwell, but you shouldn't have to iyswim.

Incidentally, I find babies and small children asleep on the floor quite often. When I tell the parents they can't sleep there, including the reasons why, they still get annoyed. Some parents even put their baby straight on a bassinett table! I don't think I'll ever get used to some of the weird things some customers do.
Baconroll is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 6:27 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 9,034
Perhaps they were Planking, though I think that fad passed a few months ago now.
Paralytic is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 6:44 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Programs: MUCCI
Posts: 5,697
Originally Posted by randomflyer View Post
What happened when the seat belt lights went on during turbulence? He was unsecured?
Surely just the same as every other passenger who is asleap without their seat belt on or visible - the crew need to wake them in such circumstances.
David-A is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 8:08 am
  #10  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Posts: 21,318
Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
Perhaps they were Planking, though I think that fad passed a few months ago now.
If they are really planking, they should have been on the armrests, not on the floor. They have failed the planking assessment!
LTN Phobia is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 8:11 am
  #11  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Posts: 21,318
Originally Posted by Baconroll View Post
I don't think I'll ever get used to some of the weird things some customers do.
I get amazed enough as a casual observer as to what some passengers do. One of the more shocking was the woman who changed her baby's nappy in the seat and handed the dirty nappy to a cabin crew member who was serving meals, and got miffed when she declined to take it.

It's amazing how stupid some passengers are. I can honestly say that it's very rare that a staff member makes my flight less enjoyable, but far too frequently fellow passengers do, although some are so amazingly stupid that it gives me enough in-flight entertainment.
LTN Phobia is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 8:24 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sussex
Posts: 346
Don't get me started on the nappy-changing on seats One of my biggest bugbears onboard. *Zips mouth and continues breathing excercises*
Baconroll is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 8:54 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2007
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 12,048
If somebody wants to take the risks of sleeping on the floor that is fine by me.

Quite surprising to hear that nobody noticed though. I find that there is normally a reasonable amount of ambient light in the cabin from screens, reading lights and so on, even in the darkest night.
Sixth Freedom is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 8:57 am
  #14  
DVT
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 522
Originally Posted by Baconroll View Post
Don't get me started on the nappy-changing on seats One of my biggest bugbears onboard. *Zips mouth and continues breathing excercises*
You might want to actually breathe through your mouth under such conditions.
DVT is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 9:49 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by Baconroll View Post
It's a big no-no to sleep on the floor. Several reasons: Turbulence, the oxygen level is far lower down at floor level, you could get stepped/stood on, and so on. I'm quite shocked that the crew didn't see this chap, was he hidden under piles of blankets? If that was the case, he would be more difficult to spot, but the crew should have been more observant. You could have said something, of course, saying you were concerned about him being unwell, but you shouldn't have to iyswim.

Incidentally, I find babies and small children asleep on the floor quite often. When I tell the parents they can't sleep there, including the reasons why, they still get annoyed. Some parents even put their baby straight on a bassinett table! I don't think I'll ever get used to some of the weird things some customers do.
I remember taking a flight with a friend in the early 2000's LHR to PHX and we were sat in the front two seats of economy cabin on a 747. He decided to lay down on the floor to try and get a nap and he barely touched the ground before the FA approached him and told him this went against all safety protocols etc, compounded by the fact we were in the exit row. He was suitably embarassed.
arh1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread