LA 13.00
Seats 14F + 14E
BA0268
10th April
LA 21.20
11th April
London Heathrow 15.25
Seats 64A + 64B
So the story starts that my girlfriend and I make the decision to try for a baby. We know that once the baby arrives that our freedom will be pretty much taken away from us for a long time, so we start planning a last hurrah long haul trip. I have a load of BA miles to use so we set about looking for reward flights. We end up booking return flights from London Heathrow to Los Angeles and start planning a 17 day trip to take in LA, San Diego, drive up the coast to San Fran, Las Vegas and back to LA to fly home.
With flights booked, I decide to pay the annoying and excessive charges to book seats in advance. Ł60 per lower deck seat and Ł80 per upper deck seat. In total I spent Ł260 on seat reservations. Great, flights booked, seats done months and months in advance so won’t have to worry about that again. Wrong.
BA changed the aircraft our outbound flight was on. I no longer had the seats I had paid to book. So I called BA (On ‘The Bronze’ line) on Sunday morning, was on hold for about 10 mins. I asked if I could get a refund on the outbound seats as I couldn’t have the seats I had paid for anymore. I had an incredibly rude and uninterested ‘customer service’ advisor who said I could get a refund but then I’d have no confirmed seats. After suggesting that it might be considered good customer service to simply refund me for the paid seats I can no longer have due to no fault of my own and issue me with new seats without a charge, I was shot down with laughter (no joke), so i just told him to refund me the money. I also suggested that he might want to change his attitude as it wasn’t acceptable. ‘Yeah yeah, right oh Sir’ was the reply.
The next day I went online as I could now book seats for free due to Bronze status and found that the helpful and courteous BA ‘Customer Service’ rep had indeed cancelled all my seat reservations, outbound and inbound. So my cherished seats on the Upper deck on the return leg had gone.
Again I phoned BA. 14 minutes on hold till I got through to someone and explained what had happened. He said he would try and sort it out and put me on hold. I don’t know how long I was on hold for but it seemed ages. He came back to me and said he was having problems getting through to seat reservations, put me on hold again. He then said it’s best that I hang up and let him sort it. I did and actually he did sort it out and I had my seats back. Good, all done. No.
This morning I get an e-mail saying I have been refunded Ł60 for seat reservations, not the Ł260 I paid. They have refunded me for my seat on the outbound flight only, not my girlfriend’s seat or the two they cancelled on the inbound flight.
So I call BA again, 20 minutes on hold to the Bronze line and didn’t get through and I had things to do so hung up. I still haven’t been able to get through to them.
Is this really the club world experience? Is this really how BA treat their premium paying customers and find it acceptable? They have stressed me out and wasted a large amount of my time needlessly.
For a long time I’ve read and been told that British Airways has appalling customer service and treat their customers as a number, rather than a person. I never knew what they were on about till I stopped flying economy and premium economy and started flying in Business Class. Now I completely understand why, like my best friend, people avoid flying with British Airways. My friend flies to Asia about 4-5 times a year (in business) and will only fly with Cathay or Singapore, he detests British Airways.
I haven’t been a business class traveller for long. I started my company only 3 years ago, yet we have grown 100% in that time. I’ve flown in Business with Qantas, Finn Air, Singapore, British Airways and Emirates and in terms of service and quality of overall product, BA come last on that list despite having the best business class seat. I’m starting to get paranoid that they simply want to make it as difficult as possible for me every time I fly with them. I am going to be become a much more frequent flyer, in business in the next few years and you would have thought I would be a person British Airways would like to retain as a customer and build my loyalty to their airline? Apparently not.
I’ve gone from being someone who thought of BA as the best airline in the world and quite an aspirational thing to fly in a premium cabin with them, to someone who will most likely avoid them in the future and choose an airline who make flying hassle free and who value me as a customer.
To fly, to serve? Trading standards should take at close look at those last two words.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Welcome to FT … and … breathe.

As I understand it, you have encountered a variety of linked problems:

1. Following an aircraft change, you ended up losing your pre-paid seat seat assignments. Yes, that's infuriating: it happens, see this thread.

2. The BA Agent was rude and unhelpful, and erroneously cancelled your return seats as well. Unacceptable: I suggest you complain in writing.

3. The refund of your pre-paid seat assignments was incorrect. Human error? See 2. above.

It's an imperfect world, I'm afraid. And, depending on when you call BAEC, even the Silver line suffers from delays. That's a fact of life: but at least they called you back, which I would have expected when trying to unravel a difficult problem.

Anyway, that was a good rant.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by T8191
Welcome to FT … and … breathe.

As I understand it, you have encountered a variety of linked problems:

1. Following an aircraft change, you ended up losing your pre-paid seat seat assignments. Yes, that's infuriating: see this thread.

2. The BA Agent was rude and unhelpful, and erroneously cancelled your return seats as well. Unacceptable: I suggest you complain in writing.

3. The refund of your pre-paid seat assignments was incorrect. Human error? See 2. above.

It's an imperfect world, I'm afraid.
I tend to find that in situations like this a letter, not the Internet email type but the sort in an envelope with stamp on the front tend to attract the best sort of response tbh
Welcome to flyertalk to the OP

cs
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:23 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I can see what has happened - there has been a change of aircraft from a 747 to a 777 on those rotations. On your return 64J and K are shown as available as are 60 J and K. After all the trouble that you have had, you may not want to call again - personally I would and ask for a Supervisor if needs be.

I suggest that you PM Nicci here and she can get the Supervisor of the call centre to go and listen to the call and determine how rude the agent was. She may also find out why you are not being offered the correct refund. What a shame!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lighting

So the story starts that my girlfriend and I make the decision to try for a baby.
So the first thing you do is book flights on BA - didn't you think that might upset some of the other passengers?

Imagine the postings on this board .....
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Troll
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:34 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by jmpawson
Troll
How can you tell?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by T8191

Anyway, that was a good rant.
No need to be condescending...

OP, I can completely sympathize with your situation, sometimes it really does feel like you are talking to a brick wall.

Contact BA Customer Services online through the web form and if nothing else, they should get that refund sorted for you.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
Troll
I think that's unfair. The story (and poster) seem genuine and PG has already confirmed there has been an equipment change for that flight.

lighting did seem to get some bad service from BA and is right to complain IMO.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by babats
So the first thing you do is book flights on BA - didn't you think that might upset some of the other passengers?

Imagine the postings on this board .....
Ok, you have really lost me. How could this decision possibly effect anyone else?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Troll
I didn't read the OP's post that way. It seems like the OP just caught a run of bad luck, exacerbated by a CS rep who also wasn't having a stellar day. Sometimes the world seems to conspire against us, and the OP was having one of those moments. As previously mentioned, I'd recommend PMing Nicci (BA Executive Club) to see if she can help sort it out. She has a good track record.

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I think that's unfair.
I retract.
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DWFI

OP, I can completely sympathize with your situation, sometimes it really does feel like you are talking to a brick wall.

Contact BA Customer Services online through the web form and if nothing else, they should get that refund sorted for you.
Thank you ! I think I will write to BA. This flight is a reward flight but usually the amounts involved are very high and you simply expect better service.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:41 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 3:13 pm
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DWFI

Thanks. Just want the refund sorted and for all the time consuming hassle to stop.

On board abd in the air i don't have that many issues with BA but on the ground they are useless

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.