Wiki Posts
Search

Music during landing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Music during landing

Flew into YVR yesterday on the BA0085. During decent and landing, the lighting was "dimmed" on the upper deck (actually turned off), and classical music was played from about 5 minutes before landing, until the terminal and a reasonable volume.

Is this a new thing or have I not been paying attention?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
My last flight (MAN) had music but before take off and after landing.

I like music. ^
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by buddman
Flew into YVR yesterday on the BA0085. During decent and landing, the lighting was "dimmed" on the upper deck (actually turned off), and classical music was played from about 5 minutes before landing, until the terminal and a reasonable volume.

Is this a new thing or have I not been paying attention?
It is not standard for music to be played during the decent.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
It is not standard for music to be played during the decent.

Is that because the in-flight orchestra has to stow the instrments for landing?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Is that because the in-flight orchestra has to stow the instrments for landing?
Very good
Old Mar 16, 2012, 4:20 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I really like when classical music is played during boarding, and on disembarking.

I find it adds a touch of class to British Airways and takes the edge off a time that some people might be used to being stressful from experiences with other airlines (LCCs in particular)

I hope BA encourages music on boarding, although I know the likes of mikey boy (sorry can't find bold on the mobile site) doesn't like the music at all.

But me, I like it (although I've never heard it on descent - wouldn't like it so much then!)
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver
A proportion of all pax are going to find any music an unwelcome intrusion, whatever the genre or volume, whereas it can be assumed no pax are actively upset by an absence of music. Therefore it is clearly preferable to have no music. Unfortunately airlines seem to feel a need to inflict noise pollution on us all. At least BA's is relatively tolerable. I stopped using Virgin Atlantic years ago because of the racket in the cabin.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 7:24 pm

I like the music, so much so I went out and bought it! I'm with Andset1911 and agree that it adds a touch of class. I also think it does de-stress the boarding and disembarcation.

Soothing memorable music. Loverly.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 1:12 pm

I had the misfortune to fly monarch recently to TFS, on approach they play an "aspirational" video & matching music showing a family enjoying the monarch "experience". The music was really loud aswell, as if to emphasise the point being hemmed in with no legroom was something to be savoured...
Old Mar 17, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS & Aeroplan Red, Marriott Silver, Hilton Honours, Hertz Gold, GHA Discovery Platinum
Beardy played Adele's Rolling in the Deep on finals into LHR on my last VS flight. I enjoyed it, but 'Ride of the Valkyries' would've been awesome.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andset1191
I really like when classical music is played during boarding, and on disembarking.
Is it a SOP? I've no recollection of hearing music on any BA flight ever, at any time.

Johan
Old Mar 18, 2012, 2:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Not a Standard Operating Procedure, no, but it does happen. I heard the CSD say to a colleagues "let's put some music on" when we had a difficult boarding in Warsaw a few weeks ago and the captain was about to announce a LHR slot issue.

It was a much more common occurence in the past, particularly when Malcolm McLaren's and Yanni's Aria on Air was the sound of British Airways. I well recall, with some horror, it being played on approach to LHR, and though it may have been a coincidence, the captain touched down precisely on the first note of the first bar after the song's bridge. Probably a bit naff to do it now, but we are talking 1990 or thereabouts.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by mladww
A proportion of all pax are going to find any music an unwelcome intrusion, whatever the genre or volume, whereas it can be assumed no pax are actively upset by an absence of music. Therefore it is clearly preferable to have no music. Unfortunately airlines seem to feel a need to inflict noise pollution on us all. At least BA's is relatively tolerable. I stopped using Virgin Atlantic years ago because of the racket in the cabin.
Completely agree with this! The VS muzak is particularly irritating.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: QF PS, AA
For takeoff: Vera Lynn singing either "Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye" or We'll Meet Again"
For landing: Ann Shelton singing "Comin' in on a wing and a prayer"
Old Mar 18, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by steve_w
Beardy played Adele's Rolling in the Deep on finals into LHR on my last VS flight. I enjoyed it, but 'Ride of the Valkyries' would've been awesome.
I would absolutely hate that. I've never needed to travel with them and still don't feel the need!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.