Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Animated Safety Briefings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Animated Safety Briefings

I have recently switched to BA and am planning using them for all my longhaul flights. I previously was fully signed up to star alliance.

So far, BA are proving to be pretty good. The SH aircraft however are very tired inside compared to even the pre-deckchair seats in Lufthansa's birds. Recent longhaul was on the 777-300s so the cabins were new. It isn't a big deal, but I hope that they are planning on refitting them (a320 I think).

What I don't like however is the animated safety briefing. This is a part of the flight when you want everyone to pay attention. To pass it over to a video, which is far easier to ignore, doesn't seem like the correct approach to me. Personally I would prefer the crew take the time to perform it in front of me. It is a lot more engaging - ignoring people addressing you is rude - I think fewer people would do it. The safety video, however, is just easy to switch off to. The lack of variance in it means once you have seen it, that is it (I know, different bits are added about rearwards facing seats), whereas the variance from crew acting it out actually makes it a little more interesting. Surprised me to see this lack of personal attention.

Does anyone else feel the same?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: BA, AC, VIPorter
There was another thread about this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...yesterday.html
But granted animated in a different sort of way.

I personally don't really feel one way or the other about it. AC has been using the video style of safety briefing for ages and I honestly don't know if I pay any more or less attention when someone is standing at the front of the cabin. If I don't pay attention I also don't really think it’s rude per se.

I'm more of a look around figure out where the doors are and worst case scenario how will I make sure the BH gets off before me.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
I find the animated videos to be more helpful than the crew-demo versions. Here's why:

The animated video shows how to open the door - handle rotation, streamer, all of that. The crew simply point to the door. Same with exit locations throughout the plane, life-raft locations, etc.

Big surprise here, I was on a BA flight where the AVOD failed. I'm sure that's never happened to anyone. So, the crew had to manually demo the safety information. It was visually interesting simply because it was choreographed perfectly. Every crew member in the same position, same movement, both sides of the aisle. I've never seen anything so well practiced on any other airline.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: ABBA
The safety video with the stupid teddy bear. Yes.

It's far too long, and contains useless information about stowing your baggage and not losing your teddy bear (at this point you're taxiing so should already be sat down, have stowed your bags and table, un-reclined your chair, and it's post doors-to-automatic-and-crotch-check). Of course you can't stow your video screen if you have one as you're watching the safety video!

I'm ashamed to say I slept through the (video) briefing on 1394 today.

As for 777-300s, yes I believe they are all new. What cabin do you fly in? The 767s are the tattiest long-haul planes (they are being refurbished slowly), especially in club. Most of the 777-200s don't have AVOD, so beware of those too.

I find manual safety demos are not infrequent on short-haul planes.

The crew are always there to point out the nearest exits (behind you and in front of you -- helpful). More useful would be "exits in row 9 + 10 and in front of row 1".
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by paulwuk

I'm ashamed to say I slept through the (video) briefing on 1394 today.
You really don't know what you've started making that comment. Quick, delete it
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
I'd rather watch the teddy bear video with the freakishly shaped people than listen to bored CC churn out the drill in a monotone.
It's here if you haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ere2ZvUNvkc

A shake of Vim and some elbow-grease would improve some of the cabin interiors pre-refit.

Last edited by ClubClassCowboy; Mar 16, 2012 at 11:25 am Reason: Added link
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Plenty of airlines use animated videos (don't fly VX if you don't like the BA one!). Many people would say animated ones are more eye catching. I don't think it's an issue to be honest.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
The videos have the benefit of subtitles for routes where English is not the first language of many pax.

Animated videos are also much easier for airlines to update as need. The old safety video with the much discussed Jason Donovan lookalike and the "ooops silly me!" woman who left her handbag in the aisle used to look so dated!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I always used to watch the CX pink pather one, as the baby pink panther was adorable.

So from that respect, the CX strategy worked perfectly with me
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
You guys should really pay better attention to the safety video. I am ashamed of you.

IT IS A BUNNY RABBIT!!!!

Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Lidl Plus
And (without trundling off to Youtube to check, mind) the picture on the kid's jumper is of...?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by speedbird66
And (without trundling off to Youtube to check, mind) the picture on the kid's jumper is of...?
Willy Walsh?
Concorde?
PUCCI?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Willy Walsh?
Concorde?
PUCCI?
Concorde, but should obviously be PUCCI

And the name on the badge towards the start of the video....
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

I flew in WT+. Was very impressed, and have booked it again to LAX next month.

I think it is more about what the crew are doing when the video is on. Chatting, finishing prepping the cabin. To me this inadvertently tells everyone else that the video isn't that important.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paulwuk
The safety video with the stupid teddy bear. Yes.

It's far too long, and contains useless information
I could not agree more.

If the video was short and to the point, and that dumb kid would stop dropping his teddy bunny, then perhaps more people would pay attention.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.