Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Apart from posting here at BA - do any of you work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apart from posting here at BA - do any of you work?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:46 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Wink Apart from posting here at BA - do any of you work?

Bet that got some of you clicking. Now, as an almost Lady of Leisure (well 50% of the time!) I am intrigued by the regularity and quantity of posting some of you all do.

FT for me was mostly a layover amusement (there were others but that is another story) - however I have been amazed at the times of day and how often some of you pop in. Do you log on from work? Are you allowed to do so - and indeed some people post so much I really wonder that they find time to fly let alone post. I had long ago realised that quantity and quality were two very different things here.

To try and keep this out of the dreaded Gate A10 - the worlds biggest dead letter box - do you post a lot when waiting for flights in Lounges?

I am sitting looking over the Baie des Anges and find that it is real discipline to leave the PC and go and do shopping, cooking, and other Big Girl things. I cannot imagine how you all hold down full time jobs as well. I always find something to read - whether I chose to engage in the conversation is another matter. I also have Him Indoors who probably suspect that I have a fleet of online lovers. Sadly I will always get the part of Cinderella (not thank God her sisters!) rather than Goldilocks.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I work in France which - as you know - has a much more leisurely pace than in the north of the EU. I am also someone who works in bursts. 2 hours of intense activity followed by an hour or so of relaxation. For instance, after my successful meeting yesterday (see ecstasy thread) I now need to wait for the validation of the next steps. That means a week of little to no activity. Luckily I get paid for results, not hours.

Of course - glad to help - I also check FT when I am in BA lounges, sometimes even expecting one of you to tap me on the shoulder and say 'Hi, who are you then?'.

Icing on the cake; as a human performance expert I can assure you that nobody is as productive as they either think or make out (up) to be.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Others at work go for smoke breaks. As I don't smoke, I read FT for a few mins every now and then - and lunch time of course!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
I have often had the same thoughts. I have been on here long enough to see quite a few very regular posters "disappear" and I expect it has either to do with losing interest or work loads or death (hopefully not too much of that).

I have maintained an interest for a long time but in a limited way (as can be seen through my post count). As with all good things, I feel that's what keeps it from becoming an addiction which then needs to be drastically dealt with. It also ensures that I earn a living.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'm a computer bot that auto-responds to random posts. I exist to personify PG's quantity and quality observation.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by henkybaby
I am also someone who works in bursts. 2 hours of intense activity followed by an hour or so of relaxation.
I have a similar work ethic....1 hour of intense activity followed by 5 hours of recovery time. I suppose modern technology allows people to post no matter where they are....even in the toilet.

that explanes y u c posts lick this more oft
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: Mucci de Pucci, BA Gold, Delta SkyMiles, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, 25 meter swimming badge
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I have a similar work ethic....1 hour of intense activity followed by 5 hours of recovery time. I suppose modern technology allows people to post no matter where they are....even in the toilet.

that explanes y u c posts lick this more oft
I only post from the thundercloset.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
I can get away with posting from work because i have helped my boss to fly CW on his last 4 trips to BOS rather than the WT(or+) he was accustomed to!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
I sit in my shop / office awaiting customers, who alas, prefer to spend it on air travel rather than water softeners!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Don't forget Madame that there are some retirees here who start "feel good" threads . I do suspect that there are quite a few geeks that have this page buried behind many other pages and whenever they get bored they come here.

Then you have the ones who have the app.... Kids nowadays can multi task, they are catching up to us ladies. .
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I'm retired, innit!!
And idle ... so a couple of hours on the Interwebby-thing in the morning suits me nicely. Same in the evening when there's cr@p on TV, which is when I tend to PUTI.

It passes the time pleasantly, in the cyber-company of some nice and amusing people, and teaches me a lot about travel issues. I doubt we'd be Smug Silvers if it wasn't for the hours I've spent on FT over the last 2 years.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
With a current daily posting average of just 1.39 I hardly fall into the FT-nerd category. I'm paid too well to be able to spend as much time on FT as I would like.

With a fairly intense 5.5 day work week my FT reading/posting falls into two categories: that done during the occasional 20 minute work break (I don't stop for lunch), or at my CAI apartment during the evening or on Fridays (my day off). UK vacation time is the one time I'm usually completely absent from FT - too much else going on!

Of course it goes without saying that 90% of my time spent on FT is on the unbeatable BAEC forum.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
I do find it strange that the computers here let me view FT at all. They tend to block other government websites, yet paddy power and the like work fine.

FT is a relief with this dump of an office and staff who'd drive you crazy complaining about everything from the new kitchen to the lack of holidays.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Like a lot of folks nowadays, I tend to work weekends on a regular basis sometimes finishing late and often into the early hours so I can be on FT at what may appear to be 'odd' times for a UK resident although just to confirm on behalf of all the 'shift' workers here we are not odd at all.

I have days off midweek too so browse occasionally during the day. This can also be the case midweek too!. I have been working mostly in this manner for over 21 years now so I am kind of used to it and tbh I dont like the Mon-Fri 9-5 style of working!

I'm not a FF but I do enjoy the BA board as well as the TR Forum. All joking/banter aside (which can be entertaining at times) it really is appreciated all the tips/advice from the FF's, Mods, the Crews, BA staff etc and lots of others who take the time to post here. Whether it is arrival/departure/terminal/lounge/transit tips, fares, Tesco offers or whatever. ^

This summer I will be getting out and about more and I tend to spend more time in the Winter here on FT as it's too bl@@dy freezing, damp and wet otherwise! Horses for Courses whatever you're hobby is.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:10 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I pop to FT occasionally during the day when I need a bit of light relief. More so early in the morning or evenings when there is rubbish on TV (so most evenings)!

As an employer we are quite laid back about internet access - generally we tend to judge people more on their output rather than monitor every minute of their day.

Having said that, our parent company has barred Facebook during working hours....it apparently auto-activates on the server only during the lunch hour. We haven't yet implemented this though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.