Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tierpoint run for Bronze, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean *silver & BA EXEC Blue
Tierpoint run for Bronze, is it worth it?

I'm just wondering if people on here thought it was worthwhile doing a tier point run to get Bronze? I guess in my reset year after qualifying I might make 1 European shorthaul trip and 1 intercontinental trip both ex GLA.

I'm about 100 points short of Bronze so Silver is completely out of reach.

Is there any real benefit to being Bronze that would make a tierpoint run worthwhile?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:57 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 3:10 pm
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
It all depends on how valuable the benefits, e.g. Club check in, extra Avios and seat selection 7 days in advance are to you for your forthcoming trips. Also, what sort of TP run do you want to do? Is it something you'd really enjoy / value or a bit of a chore?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Blue and proud of it!
I was in same situation as you. My membership year ends 8Apr and I'm only 50 TPs from Bronze. I weighed up what little benefits you get....
Club check-in: I mainly fly short-haul, hand luggage only so not worth it.
7 day seat selection: Never had problems at 24hr so again not worth it.
Hence my next flight is booked ET instead of CE even though it's ONLY Ł69 to upgrade one way.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
@ Martin L ... a very reasonable perspective. I suspect Bronze only really starts to have a lot of appeal when flying l/h with luggage: then the better shot at seat selection and bag-drop start to work.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
I would but only if it was the start of a serious attempt to move up the tiers.

E.g. you have a big trip in a few months such as a CE connecting with long haul CW plus a few regional OW J sectors) then it would be worthwhile to get to Bronze (or even Silver) quickly to maximize the Avios earning potential.

Bronze in itself is not worth the extra expense but then that is my opinion. Yours may be completely different.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Personally I do not think that a tier point run is ever worthwhile, with the possible exception that you are flying economy a lot and can get Silver for lounge access, seat selection and extra baggage allowance.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
the possible exception that you are flying economy a lot and can get Silver for lounge access, seat selection and extra baggage allowance.
Agree with you on that.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Personally I do not think that a tier point run is ever worthwhile, with the possible exception that you are flying economy a lot and can get Silver for lounge access, seat selection and extra baggage allowance.
+1
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
^

... Not that we fly Economy, thanks to UUA ... which is where the TPs and Avios start to march forward together to the comfort zone of CW
Old Mar 11, 2012, 1:49 pm

I would not contemplate a TP run for BA Bronze as it has very little worth. Similar with doing a mileage run to attain FB Silver - pointless in my opinion.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
^ Indeed. The vast majority of my flying is in Y, and mostly intra Europe at the moment. Having Silver has big advantages when it comes to lounge access, as well as a better service during IIROPS, as I discovered during the fog a few months ago. I'd agree that Bronze is less of an advantage. I'm going to have to try very hard to reach Silver on 20 or 30 TPs per trip this year. If the Ł69 upgrades continue I may have to splash some cash on those to keep the TPs flowing. Although at the current rate, I could end up doing it on the 50 flights rule...
Old Mar 11, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
Tier point run

I have to agree, in my view I do not think that a tier point run is ever worthwhile. A lot of time and effort, regardless of the financial outlay for minimal benefit.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: Le Creuset 26cm square grillit club, laithwaites red club
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I would have thought the benefits of th cx gold card with Amex platinum are better than the ba bronze card. I know you don't get the extra avios but the 42k with a referral make up for that
Old Mar 11, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Lidl Plus
My limited experience since hitting Bronze last month is that if you're flying on BA metal it's not that much to write home about, although the additional bonus miles/Avios are nice.

However in the last couple of weeks I've also taken four American Airlines flights within the USA/Canada, where having oneworld Ruby status as a BA bronze gives you "Priority AAccess", enabling me to skip enormous check-in and security queues at PHL and YYC. The priority boarding also comes in handy on an MD-83, meaning I was able to stow my modestly-sized carry-on bag in an overhead locker before all of the other pax managed to sneak their two massive suitcases per person on-board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.