Wiki Posts
Search

Dumped at Stansted

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Dumped at Stansted

Hi,

mr L1 had an unfortunate BA experience on Friday.

He caught the 19:00 BA8717 from EDI to LCY.

Part way thru the flight, it was announced they were being diverted to Stansted, due to fog.

All passengers were informed to go to the "Swiss desk", just outside the arrivals exit, where they would be directed to a bus to LCY.

Plane landed, passengers alighted, but no "Swiss desk" could be found.

No BA staff on the ground either.

There was a Stansted inforation desk, but they had no information on the flight, or a bus, at all.

Mr L1 did phone the silver helpline, but it was 20:20 by then, and the line was shut.

Mr L1 then went out the front of the airport, and DID find a bus waiting. The driver informed him it was to take the passengers from the Glasgow flight to LCY. Mr L1 got on anyway.

Eventually, 17 of the 41 people on the flight found the bus, and off it went.

No idea what happened to the other 24 people. Possibly still at Stansted, waiting for a BA representative.

Mr L1 quite cross about lack of info/wrong info generally.

Just venting...

Cheers,
Karen
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
hiya
sorry to hear about his problems.

Swiss could well of actually been swissport ? if thats still a handling agent at STN ?

He would not of found any BA staff at STN as BA do not generally operate into or out of STN apart from cargo.

What i find strange is that BA choose to divert the flight to STN instead of LGW which has a large BA ground presence ?

cs
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:27 am

It is a pain when domestics get diverted, however, having been diverted to AMS, CWL and other places, STN was not bad considering the end destination was LCY!

There were no BA staff on the ground, as it is not an airport that BA operate from (well operate passenger services, that is).

I agree that the mis-information onboard was poor and would be the main thing that would annoy me. At least there was a bus waiting! I have had to wait hours a couple of times at both LBA and MAN for a coach to arrive - that was very frustrating!

I have now learned to lower my expectations during IRROPS as it always feels like nothing is going your way.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
BA don't have staff at Stansted!

I agree that it is not helpful if their handling agent b*ggers off early.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by cornishsimon

What i find strange is that BA choose to divert the flight to STN instead of LGW which has a large BA ground presence ?

cs
Also foggy?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by OPebble
Also foggy?

Nope !
just reading another forum which states LGW accepted a VS A436 diverted from LHR, as well as 3xE190 BA flights that couldnt make it into LCY, the babybus, a LH E190 and some flights from Biggin hill that didnt make it in

cs
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I am wondering if the passenger wer told Swiss or actually Swissport?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I always use the argument that 'we will be treated better in the case of IRROPS' to prevent flying LCC. Must make sure my travel planners don't read this thread then...

Bad form. But you can reclaim all the cost you incurred back from BA though. A well written complaint pointing out this area for improvement might also help.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
I wonder now that SEN has its runway extension and the pax terminal is open whether it would be a more suitable diversion than STN for LCY flights. Of course it could also be suffering from fog too, but the new railway station is right next door. I believe that the Embraers shouldn't have a problem with takeoffs/landings as EasyJet will have 3 A319s based there soon.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Interesting observation about SEN FenLandK.

Simon Calder says baggage reclaim to station platform takes 3 minutes. Also SEN may offer the quickest central London-AMS flights as it is able to avoid the congested LON approaches.
Originally Posted by Independent
"We've built a brand-new railway station which offers the shortest train-to-check-in walk anywhere – 100 paces," says Mr Welch. When I tested the system, baggage reclaim to platform took three minutes flat. Add a 53-minute rail connection to London Liverpool Street station, and the business traveller can be in the City within an hour of his or her plane reaching the gate.

Flights could be quicker, too. Southend airport squeezes under the radar: its approaches are below the congested aerial traffic lanes of the London Terminal Manoeuvring Area serving the capital's other airports. From central London to Amsterdam, Southend may prove fastest – and most serene. The airport's three-letter code is as close as Essex gets to Zen: it's SEN.
The airport is open (and won't become busier until EZY starts its summer programme later this month) so it could possibly be a diversion airport, fog permitting of course.
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...x-7469163.html
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by FenLandK
I wonder now that SEN has its runway extension and the pax terminal is open whether it would be a more suitable diversion than STN for LCY flights. Of course it could also be suffering from fog too, but the new railway station is right next door. I believe that the Embraers shouldn't have a problem with takeoffs/landings as EasyJet will have 3 A319s based there soon.

Thought that Cityflyer regularly used SEN for diversions ?

However that seems to of changed over the last year or so, perhaps STN is offering better rates ?

I still think that Diversions should go whenever possible to an airport with BA staff, not an airfield that BA dont operate into

cs
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
I still think that Diversions should go whenever possible to an airport with BA staff, not an airfield that BA dont operate into
Not necessarily true for airports outside of London! I would prefer to be at an airport closest to the end destination

Easier to jump in a taxi/coach/train to get to the desired destination (should the weather conditions permit, of course)
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
LCY diversions seem to hit STN, always a risk in fog season. I think the best bet is to get the train into London, frequency isn't too bad.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Not necessarily true for airports outside of London! I would prefer to be at an airport closest to the end destination

Easier to jump in a taxi/coach/train to get to the desired destination (should the weather conditions permit, of course)

Well i was meaning airports within London

Always makes me chuckle to see LHR closed and flights diverted to AMS, FRA, DUB etc when LGW is still open and operating normally ??

Likewise, when Gatters is open and fully staffed by BA why would you divert your customers to an airport that you have no presence (STN) ? Dont get it

cs
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Hi,

thanks for the replies.

Mr L1s plane was actually the last into Stansted (according to the pilot) that evening, as it was also closing due to fog.

Was a shame he wasnt diverted to SEN, as we actually live near the Southend Rail line, so would have been quicker than LCY!

Cheers,
karen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.