Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight from Gatwick to Orlando cancelled today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: my wings are gold

Any idea why ?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver - QF Lifetime Silver
Appears to be G-VIIA out of service.

BA2153/BA2152 LGW-BGI-TAB was cancelled yesterday.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Sort it out lads and lasses! That shouldn't happen...
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Sort it out lads and lasses! That shouldn't happen...
Well, yes and no. It is unreasonable to expect some of the most complex machines and systems man has ever made to be functional all the time. Not with the prices we pay to fly!

rb211.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:24 pm

I don't know why the service went 'tech' but believe me BA does everything it can do get services away. It must have been a serious problem. Aircraft are complex beasts and as pilots we won't accept any problem that we aren't happy with. BA engineers are the best in the business and if they can't fix it, nobody can.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:29 am

Programs: ABBA
Do BA ever cancel planes because loadings are too low?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 3:15 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Yes, in the quieter months you will sometimes see the second BGI cancelled for this reason. When the LAX was kept 3 times daily in the winter, one of the three was often bumped for this reason. (One february was particularly notorious for it).

But this doesnt happen too often as it annoys not only passengers, but those who control the slots and those who hand out the route licences etc., so it is not an option taken lightly.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Yes, in the quieter months you will sometimes see the second BGI cancelled for this reason. When the LAX was kept 3 times daily in the winter, one of the three was often bumped for this reason. (One february was particularly notorious for it).

But this doesnt happen too often as it annoys not only passengers, but those who control the slots and those who hand out the route licences etc., so it is not an option taken lightly.

Generally this is done months in advance however

cs
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Generally this is done months in advance however

cs
They have got better over the last few years but sadly they do sometimes happen within a day of departure
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
They have got better over the last few years but sadly they do sometimes happen within a day of departure

Really ? due to low loads ?

cs
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Really ? due to low loads ?

cs
Yes, sadly. Its only in the days close to departure that you really know how many you have in the J or F cabins as more in these cabins book within the last 14 or even 7 days. I have had a LAX rotation cancelled on the day because of it, we were readdomodated 2 hours later so no great shakes. (Our aircraft actually did depart for LAX but with no passengers so probably had a rich cargo belly or was needed to operate the return, and it was just better to run for BA to run the outward with no passengers).

As you rightly say though Simon, they tend to do more of these cancellations a few months out these days, to minimise inconvenience, but they do occasionally happen.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
Yes, sadly. Its only in the days close to departure that you really know how many you have in the J or F cabins as more in these cabins book within the last 14 or even 7 days. I have had a LAX rotation cancelled on the day because of it, we were readdomodated 2 hours later so no great shakes. (Our aircraft actually did depart for LAX but with no passengers so probably had a rich cargo belly or was needed to operate the return, and it was just better to run for BA to run the outward with no passengers).

As you rightly say though Simon, they tend to do more of these cancellations a few months out these days, to minimise inconvenience, but they do occasionally happen.
If the aircraft ran, then what did BA save? I don't believe that the cancellation you're referring to was due to low loads. Crew shortages perhaps, but low loads? I doubt it.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:33 am

I guess they saved largely in ground handling type fees? Not fully catering an aircraft probably has a saving associated with it.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
I guess they saved largely in ground handling type fees? Not fully catering an aircraft probably has a saving associated with it.
Well, I don't think there's any ground handling savings...the plane still arrived, the BA staff would still be paid, and the catering costs would've just been shifted from the cancelled flight to the flight that ran.

What definitely would've been a cost to BA is any disruption costs, i.e. putting people up in hotels in LAX if they missed connection, loss of the good will of passengers who expected to be on flight "A" only to be delayed onto flight "B".
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:56 am

Programs: BA
I recall turning up at IAD for the IAD-LHR daytime flight at around 7am (circa 2002). Flight had been cancelled, and I had been rebooked on the evening flight at 9pm. I assume it was due to low loads as only myself and one other passenger turned up for the flight.

No notification from BA, who obviously expected me to sit airside from 7am to 7pm.

Of course, without a morning flight there were no BA ground staff, and I actually found out by talking to AA ground staff. Amazingly they called BA on my behalf and got them to rebook me onto a United IAD-LHR day flight, resulting in only the shortest of delays in my getting back to LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.