Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now wash your hands!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I would love to see how some of you would survive going to a public lavatory here....
I would say same goes for here...except I'm one the ones that doesn't survive!

tb
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by tangey
Ok, we are treading off-topic, but I think you'll find its got absolutely nothing to do with nature, 1st, 2nd or otherwise.
Isn't doing something as 'second nature' mean that it is something you have practiced and repeated many times and therefore it becomes something you naturally do without thinking about. Washing my hands was something that I was taught to do as a child and I now do it without even thinking about it.

I am not into all this disinfecting, or using a dirty hot towel! to clean everywhere but just have been surprised by how many don't wash their hands after using the washrooms.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I recall a few years back someone flying with a disease and supposedly they infected others...I am really vague about the incidence but somehow I remember something of that sort, am sure someone will google it and post it here...
I think it happened in the US (and not on BA if I recall correctly), and it was a drug-resistant TB so it was quite a major risk. I can't remember much details either though.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
you still have to touch the levers to turn the tap on and off.
But not with your hands.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Or as the joke goes:

Did nobody learn you to wash your hands after you pee?

No, they taught me not to piss on my hands.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:02 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I wash my hands and then with a paper towel in my hand I flush the toilet and open the door before dropping the used towel in the bin.
Darling - I do really feel a bit young for some of these revelations!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I would love to see how some of you would survive going to a public lavatory here....
Isn't that the street?

Still - what concerns me is that the peregrinations of people in and out of the toilet appear to pass for inflight entertainment for Mr The Flier.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Littlegirl

Washing my hands was something that I was taught to do as a child and I now do it without even thinking about it.

... just have been surprised by how many don't wash their hands after using the washrooms.
Littlegirl - I couldn't have put it better myself; hence the reason for starting this thread.

Those who express surprise that I should even notice the toilet habits of my fellow CW passengers have obviously never sat in seat 10J on a BA 777. When you spend the entire flight reading (i.e. no headphones, no video screen) it's almost impossible not to notice when someone flushes the toilet, given the proximity of the seat to the toilet.

It started when the lady in 10K 'paid a visit' as soon as the seatbelt signs were switched-off. She spent less than a minute in the loo, flushed and was out of the door quick as a flash: this was repeated a further two times during the flight. A disconcertingly high percenatge of other CW passengers acted in similar fashion.

Washing your hands after going to the toilet is surely nothing more than basic hygiene.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: BD*G. BA gold. Air France platinum. FT baggage tags. PC Gold, Marriott Silver. Hilton Gold.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Or as the joke goes:

Did nobody learn you to wash your hands after you pee?

No, they taught me not to piss on my hands.
^^^^^

look! dry hands, again!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I wash my hands and then with a paper towel in my hand I flush the toilet and open the door before dropping the used towel in the bin.
I do the exact same thing. Rather odd that the OP and apparently others monitor other people's bathroom habits... Maybe be some issues there.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Littlegirl

Those who express surprise that I should even notice the toilet habits of my fellow CW passengers have obviously never sat in seat 10J on a BA 777. When you spend the entire flight reading (i.e. no headphones, no video screen) it's almost impossible not to notice when someone flushes the toilet, given the proximity of the seat to the toilet.
Flame of the West - tell me - why on earth did you not have a screen or a headset? Did no one give you one - or are you saying that you did not use the ones that were there?

What were you reading? I'm reading "Easy Money" by Jens Lapidus.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Darling - I do really feel a bit young for some of these revelations!

I remember a time when you were pleased that I took precautions.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:29 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by BizFlyin
I do the exact same thing. Rather odd that the OP and apparently others monitor other people's bathroom habits... Maybe be some issues there.
Not odd at all...as the OP said it is difficult not to if you sit that close, it's a long flight etc etc.

About 15 years ago my late wife and I flew LHR-JFK on a 777 and got the Y exit rows and these are right next to a loo. The 777 had not long been in service and seemed to be the first plane to have loo doors that didn't hinge at one side and open either inwards or outwards as a complete unit. Rather they were also hinged in the middle and were opened by pushing inwards in the middle and the door then folded into two whilst moving to the side.

We spent alot of the flight watching, smiling (and helping) folks who simply could not work out how to open the door no matter how they tried. It was so amusing at times we thought BA should charge a premium for the seats, such was the entertainment value.

Given the proximity of our seats it was difficult not to make other observations on some people, ie the length of time people spent in the loo or the fact that some seemed to visit pretty much every hour.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:42 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BA6501
Same as BA304, only that I use the hot towel instead of a wet wipe.
+1
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:47 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by HilFly
But not with your hands.
with what if not your hands?

Also changing the style of taps just to suit a whim of a product seems a little extreme in my view. This OCD can get quite expensive!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.