Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now wash your hands!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by alex0683de
Yes, but hand sanitiser is above the magic 50% you need for it to ignite if you hold a match to it.
I didn't realise it was that high. Probably a good option instead of the wine the next time I'm flying down the back.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
P.S. you would be amazed at how many don't seem to be able to hit the target, either!!
Its the turbulence! Those things have a mind of their own when the plane starts swaying
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:57 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
I think, using hot water and soap, is the best way to wash your hands.

I often sea people wiping their dirty hands and face with a hot towel and then using the same towel to clean their table!!

Not a good idea!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hmmm. Whilst I cannot disagree with PtF's comments about handwashing after using the toilet, one has to keep perspective. Unless you sanitise everything you come into contact with (which is of course impossible), some of the actions described here are almost certainly pointless. In addition, coming into contact with a few bugs doesn't do much harm and can even do good.

Of course, not my place to criticise - whatever people are comfortable with is right for them, just need to keep perspective or we may see a rash of OCD..
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:10 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
I'm not at all OCD about all of this, just amazed how many people who don't wash their hands after going to the loo. This is, I think, something that we all should be doing as second nature.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
I'm not at all OCD about all of this, just amazed how many people who don't wash their hands after going to the loo. This is, I think, something that we all should be doing as second nature.
Especially when the non hand washers are going to grub around in the bread basket to get the crusty morsel that's at the bottom!

Please can the crew have tongs for the bread basket and serve it to us?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ater

Originally Posted by mdj1
I'm surprised there isn't hand sanitiser on flights.
Why? Soap and water work perfectly well. Sanitizer seems massive overkill.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: Mucci (Chevalier de Sagesse), Betty Ford Alumnus, BA Gold, ScaryTeam Elite+
...and don't forget there are probably 10,000,000 bacteria on the skin between your elbow and fingertips right now.

There is a perception that all bacteria are bad - nothing could be further from the truth - and while hand washing is desirable it will only reduce bacterial counts on your skin by 40% if you dry with paper towels (or 10% if you use cotton).

Incomplete drying is the actually biggest risk from an infection control perspective - but that pales into insignificance when you look at air dryers (as opposed to towels). A traditional one will give you a 500% increase in the number of bacteria on your skin - but it will replace the benign ones with enterobacteriacae and faecal coliforms. Euuuwwwww!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, but hand sanitiser is above the magic 50% you need for it to ignite if you hold a match to it.
Someone I know who works for the NHS tells me an increasing problem is addicts / homeless people, stealing the sanitiser due to the high alcohol level.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What a very odd way to spend ones time during a flight.

To satisfy your curiosity.......I'm a washer and flusher.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:20 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Come on guys - doesn't anyone bother to wash their hands after using the toilet anymore?!
Given the worrying degree of fullness of hand wash bottles almost at all times at the BA F lounges at LHR, I suspect many do not wash their hands after going to the loo any more.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:26 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by majoreyeswater
...and don't forget there are probably 10,000,000 bacteria on the skin between your elbow and fingertips right now.

There is a perception that all bacteria are bad - nothing could be further from the truth - and while hand washing is desirable it will only reduce bacterial counts on your skin by 40% if you dry with paper towels (or 10% if you use cotton).

Incomplete drying is the actually biggest risk from an infection control perspective - but that pales into insignificance when you look at air dryers (as opposed to towels). A traditional one will give you a 500% increase in the number of bacteria on your skin - but it will replace the benign ones with enterobacteriacae and faecal coliforms. Euuuwwwww!
+1

Apparently the number of allergies is increasing due to good bacteria being killed by overuse of antibacterial chemicals. So next time you are asked not to eat peanuts on a flight, the root cause maybe closer to home.

Obviously important to wash hands after using the toilet however....
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The water release fixtures and the pumps for the soap bottles in the plane bathrooms are probably germ-heaven too.

I hope the airline flight crews are properly cleaning their hands before handling passenger food and delivering it, but I expect there are are also numerous failures there too.

Then again, there is a school of thought that exposure to bugs is necessary to strengthen the immune system. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" kind of thinking.

Some studies may show that excessive use of antibiotics and cleaning agents results in increased allergy sensitivity, but that sort of runs counter to anticipation since increased allergy sensitivity is generally the result of a heightened immune system response to foreign agents. Wonderful bodies.

Hand sanitiser is usually alcohol-based, and thus flammable. That's why it's not used on aircraft.
I carry liquid hand-sanitizer -- 60+% ethyl alcohol content -- and Clorox bleach wet wipes for "fixed" surface cleaning, and use them on flights regularly. Never had it go up in flames, but then again the only time I have matches on me is when going camping or picking up a pack of matches from a hotel, restaurant or other entertainment venues as some sort of souvenir someone wants. And I'm not one to play pyromaniac, although some exceptions for Dec. 31st and many more for the 4th of July.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 23, 2012 at 5:53 am
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by nh1980
A friend of mine (who admittedly is a bit of a hygiene/health freak) recommends bringing a small bottle of Dettox spray on board (even in CW) and applying well to the chair arm rests and dinner tables as the turnaround cleaning isn't quite up to scratch - any truth in this? Probably best I don't tell her this story or she will probably never fly again..
+1 Wipe everything with antibacterial wipes, its usually filthy
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
You people are weird

I don't really get the obsession with cleaning everything to the n'th degree. Are you going to suck your fingers after touching the arm rests? No, then why clean them? Wash your hands of course, refuse anything seved by hand if you like, but last time I ate on a plane, I used a knife and fork which were nicely wrapped up in a clean napkin which rested on a clean table cloth. I didn't use my hands.

I do wonder if people would really notice if companies removed the cleaning properties of wet wipes and just kept the smell. People would still be happy in thinking that everything was clean, which to me is probably why people do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.