Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Child-free cabins could become reality sooner than we thought!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Child-free cabins could become reality sooner than we thought!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:38 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by HilFly

So talking, eating, drinking, typing, snoring, playing quietly are all OK.

Shouting, running around, blocking off areas of the cabin and having children on the floor, becoming aggressive, chucking food all over the place, getting drunk and throwing up, bumping into other passengers or their seats, or using any noisy toy or electronic device are not OK.
That's about it, really. I find any 'normal' amount of noise is easy to block out. It's those that cannot be blocked out that is a problem. In fact, I even find babies crying quite easy to block out with noise cancelling ear phones because they don't tend to be that loud to be honest (I suppose their lungs aren't strong enough for an audience of 1000 yet!), and even snorers.

It's really loud noise that tends to be a problem - shrieking children, shrieking adults (or adults talking in loud, booming/shrill voice), running up and down the aisle, even stomping up and down the aisle etc becomes a problem. That level of noise/disruption should not be happening regardless of the area of the cabin, and I think that's probably what most 'complainers' find problematic, rather than the routine, considerate level of noise/behaviour.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue
I'll need to try that the next time the wife is moaning at me to talk to her rather than sit there with my headphones on getting stuck into the champagne.
Funny that......my wife is quite happy when I don't talk to her. She gets rather annoyed having to take her headphones off every few minutes.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I have a 5-year old and 2-year old and would fully support child free cabins provided:

(1) Children are not excluded from both business class cabins.
(2) Seat assignments are changed as needed, i.e. if you have a seat rez in the child cabin and you don't have a child you may get moved to equivalent seat elsewhere if the seat is needed.
(3) Ok to exclude from entire F cabin only if there is a C cabin.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue
I'll need to try that the next time the wife is moaning at me to talk to her rather than sit there with my headphones on getting stuck into the champagne.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Funny that......my wife is quite happy when I don't talk to her. She gets rather annoyed having to take her headphones off every few minutes.
Coming soon, on Channel 5 - "In-flight Wife-Swap" ***

*** £75 advance wife-swap reservation fee, not bookable through BA.com, fee waived for Gold-card holders
Old Apr 12, 2012, 3:38 am

Programs: BA, UA
Originally Posted by HIDDY
We're arguing discussing this subject again I see.

Leisure travellers have become far more important to the airlines profit stream than they used to be. Business travellers just have to accept that and adapt accordingly.
Of course..... because children are clearly only fit to be treated as second class citizens in the eyes of some.

I, for one, thoroughly appreciate's the way BA deals with families with younger children travelling. Of all the airlines I've been on - and full disclosure, that doesn't necessarily mean I've travelled with our daughter on them all - I find BA's policy and efforts by far the most accommodating and fair, and I think it would be atrocious if they changed their general attitude.

And as for PUCCI's comment regarding parents travelling up front while the kids are plonked in the back..... I was genuinely amazed when I first saw this. On a BA flight. The brother and sister sat in Y, the parents in J. The little fella had a streaming cold and I didn't think anybody could be quite as incredulous at this treatment of children by their parents as myself when I found out they weren't UMs. How wrong I was! While out of earshot, the member of crew looking after that part of the Y cabin gave the mother what I can only imagine was a thorough dressing down. And quite right too. I find it beggars belief that as a parent one would sit separately to your children. Evidently not everybody feels the same way.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ils-plane.html

Even mum's can tell the truth about their lovely children, sometimes..
Old Apr 12, 2012, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Overhead bins are quite large and fairly soundproof.

Just saying.

Last edited by ClubClassCowboy; Apr 12, 2012 at 4:25 am
Old Apr 12, 2012, 3:58 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
<snip> , running up and down the aisle, even stomping up and down the aisle etc becomes a problem. That level of noise/disruption should not be happening regardless of the area of the cabin, <snip> .
Completely agree on this point - and some cabin crew should really be taken to task on this. There is nothing worse than sleeping on an overnight flight to be woken up by cabin crew bouncing along the floor like elephants.

Some CC are incredibly dainty on their feet - when flying VS UC many times to Hong Kong in the past, I used to be soooo pleased when the crew was mainly HK-based as they seemed to have been trained to walk very delicately, whereas the UK-based crew seemed to use the aisles as trampolines...

Even heavy men can walk delicately if properly trained. There is no excuse for "stomping" cabin crew...
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling

Some CC are incredibly dainty on their feet - when flying VS UC many times to Hong Kong in the past, I used to be soooo pleased when the crew was mainly HK-based as they seemed to have been trained to walk very delicately, whereas the UK-based crew seemed to use the aisles as trampolines...
I am always in heels so I'm very conscious of the possibility that when I walk up/down the aisle, I could end up walking people up. Of course, I would not go as far to walk down the aisle with no shoes on, let alone visiting the loo without the shoes on, so I consciously walk quietly when walking by sleeping people on aeroplanes in terms of noise and vibration. If I (totally uncoordinated) can do it in heels, everyone else can. But I think it does require conscious effort to walk that way, particularly in ladies' shoes or if you are naturally heavy-footed. Cabin crew members should ideally be told to walk quietly, but I wonder if they do? Almost all the guilty ones have been ladies, which I suspect may be due to the structure of the shoes/heels making it harder for them to walk quietly?

Saying that, none of this is worse than what I came across on a QF flight some years ago in the exit row by the loo. The lights were dimmed, and most people were asleep. The two guys used the space to stand there to have a really loud conversation for ages - so loud that I could discern their words with noise isolation in-ear earphones and having music on.

No-one around there could sleep. I did my best to tolerate them but after 30 minutes I had enough and I was about to confront them myself, but to avoid the potential confrontation, I complained instead to the cabin crew and asked her to ask them to go back to their seats, which she did. They answered back to her, claiming that they were only having a quiet chat for 5 minutes. She thankfully still told them to go back to their seats. There are some really rude, insensitive people out there who have no respect for others' right to peace and quiet. They annoy me a lot more than a crying baby possibly can, because they have a full control over what they do and fail to do so!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I am always in heels so I'm very conscious of the possibility that when I walk up/down the aisle, I could end up walking people up. Of course, I would not go as far to walk down the aisle with no shoes on, let alone visiting the loo without the shoes on, so I consciously walk quietly when walking by sleeping people on aeroplanes in terms of noise and vibration.
We need slippers, I will email Virgin.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I have been waiting ages for an excuse to post this!

It is the song 'Whip yo kids' by Your Favorite Martian! Very funny but not for the easily offended!

More seriously, there were infants in bassinets on both my CW flights this last week. And none of them disturbed me.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Oh my that's hilarious.

You are going to prison though.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Thanks for sharing … although I only listened to the first 30 seconds.

With my kids I find heavy sarcasm or outright verbal abuse effective.
But then they are both around 40.
And they still need it occasionally

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.