Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What is the point of fully-flexible tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the point of fully-flexible tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Paper tickets were fully flexible.

(OK, I will go now. Bye !)
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Or more likely people who travel at short notice or on busy flights, people traveling for business who want to be home at the weekends, etc.
But you can usually buy semi-flex tickets which allow changes

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Paper tickets were fully flexible.

(OK, I will go now. Bye !)
e-tickets are just an electronic implementation of paper tickets.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I've never bought a fully-flexible ticket myself - but did have one for an external review - it was business from BHX-FCO (back in the old days when BA flew somewhere useful!). The cost was 1500UKP (at the same time a 'cheap' business ticket was 120UKP); the meeting finished early and upon arrival at FCO the check-in staff put me on the next flight leaving in 20 minutes (HBO) - so useful for the flexibility!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Calchas
e-tickets are just an electronic implementation of paper tickets.
Sorry. My humour is too stupid. You could physically bend paper tickets.

I know. I know...
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CKBA
The cost was 1500UKP
Are you sure it was not 1500 GBP?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: ABBA
But you can usually buy semi-flex tickets which allow changes
How does that help
* people who travel at short notice or on busy flights
* people traveling for business who want to be home at the weekends

Often cheap tickets have Saturday night stay restrictions, or at least 3 day restritctions.

Short Notice
Say you need to pop over to Singapore for a couple of meetings on Wednesday and Thursday next week. You jump on the BA11 Monday night, which has availability in J, on a J1RT ticket. Your return on Thursday night means waitlisting (only available in YWJF) as BA is fully sold out, or you need to route via KUL.

Home at weekends
Say you want to fly to New York in Premium Economy Or Better, departing end of February (so plenty of time), leaving on the Monday, arriving int the afternoon, back to London on the Friday morning, and go direct. Plenty of flights on this route, but the cheapest you'll get is a fully-flexible WTP ticket (W1UKJB) for £2460 - across all carriers.

If you're happy with Economy you can get a ticket in the second highest "B" category on BA (£1132 return, £1052 on Virgin), although if you go out Monday back Tuesday night you're back in Y at £1689.

There are hoops you can jump through - flying half way round Europe to start with, bundling car hire or a hotel, etc. I can't believe that people do this in general though, and I can't believe that a lot of people aren't flying short notice, or avoiding Saturday night stays.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Sorry. My humour is too stupid. You could physically bend paper tickets.

I know. I know...
OH

How does that help
* people who travel at short notice or on busy flights
Recently I changed an "I" class return ticket on Europe-South America with less than 24 hours notice at a change fee of 300 EUR and a fare difference of negative 7 EUR: fortunately AA does not actively lock down "I" availability as BA does. True, had I insisted on the BA direct I would have had to upgrade to "C" class (which is not full flex but only semi flex). In any case, had I not, the ticket I bought was still flexible for upgrades at a fee of 300 EUR + fare difference. A full flex ticket would have cost me about 5000 EUR more than I paid and offered me nothing more than no change fee.

If you're happy with Economy you can get a ticket in the second highest "B" category on BA (£1132 return, £1052 on Virgin), although if you go out Monday back Tuesday night you're back in Y at £1689.
B is not full flex, it's semi flex.

Code:
   CHANGES

ANY TIME
       CHARGE GBP 100.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.
Would you insist on buying Y even if B was available?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Your employee might not be happy with that!
Even as a self employed making 6 figures/year (USD), I am still willing to do that personally (and my clients are more than happy to do so. Then again, I am not married and do not have children...)
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Even as a self employed making 6 figures/year (USD), I am still willing to do that personally (and my clients are more than happy to do so. Then again, I am not married and do not have children...)
You may be, but many others are not - or would charge weekend rates for the extra 2 days until sunday ( which is likely to be more expensive than going back on friday )

Where someone is prepared to thow away 2 days of their own time ( or actually has a reason/desire to stay away ) most people are going to require that they have a flight home

Last edited by Dave Noble; Sep 25, 2015 at 10:22 pm
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I'm guessing you don't travel most weeks. Being asked regularly to give up your precious weekends at home for a Saturday night stay over gets old very quickly.

Not to mention it can make getting to your next location tricky, unless you are happy to not go home at all between trips.

Don't get me wrong, I do this from time to time when it suits me and the company, but they understand that it's an occasional favour rather than a requirement.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: ABBA
OH

Recently I changed an "I" class return ticket on Europe-South America with less than 24 hours notice at a change fee of 300 EUR and a fare difference of negative 7 EUR: fortunately AA does not actively lock down "I" availability as BA does. True, had I insisted on the BA direct I would have had to upgrade to "C" class (which is not full flex but only semi flex). In any case, had I not, the ticket I bought was still flexible for upgrades at a fee of 300 EUR + fare difference. A full flex ticket would have cost me about 5000 EUR more than I paid and offered me nothing more than no change fee.
had you changed a Singapore ticket you'd be stuck with upgrading to J.

[code]
B is not full flex, it's semi flex.

Code:
   CHANGES

ANY TIME
       CHARGE GBP 100.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.
Would you insist on buying Y even if B was available?[/QUOTE]

No, but B isn't available. Monday to Friday cheapest tickets are BYW, on a wide open market like London JFK. Monday to Wednesday its just YW, at least on Ba.

On your specific routes which are wide open with your "buy in a and and sometimes change" tickets the. You don't need flex tickets. Many people aren't as flexible as you.

And staying a couple more nights can easily cost £3k, and piss off your employee more than flying them in Y.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Is the op still needing advice on his question?

Last edited by scottishpoet; Sep 26, 2015 at 1:31 am
Old Sep 27, 2015, 1:33 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewaran

I have never paid for a FF ticket, and like today have changed from thursday BA185 to wednesday's with no problem for £100.
I guess if i was going from wednesday to thursday night flight from US it would have been a different outcome!

Also, as long as i have internet connection i can work from anywhere. so if i couldn't change or it was expensive it would not affect me much, i would just work from a hotel (or whole foods where i am now!) instead of my desk

If you can work from anywhere, why do you travel?

(I usually fly fully flex as it's the only ticket available when I tend to book at t-36/48 hours, however on 2 of my last 4 or 5 fully flex tickets, I've moved the return parts, once after check-in due to a cancelled flight, once due to a new Hamas ruling. Currently booked for a trip home on Thursday. This may extend until Easter the way things are going)
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond

And staying a couple more nights can easily cost £3k, and piss off your employee more than flying them in Y.
Wow, sounds like I need to send in my CV - never had a client quite that generous
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Is the op still needing advice on his question?
I don't know about the OP, but cambridge.joe did revive this thread with a question on Friday (25 September) which everyone else posting to this thread since then seems to have ignored.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.