Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Using BA Amex at IKEA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Following a trip to Tottenham (aka Edmonton) IKEA today, I can confirm that they accept Amex - but aren't advertising the fact.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by teflon
Following a trip to Tottenham (aka Edmonton) IKEA today, I can confirm that they accept Amex - but aren't advertising the fact.
IKEA in Edinburgh has got new payment stickers up everywhere, featuring both Amex and contactless. However, having tried, they don't accept contactless Amex.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone bought IKEA gift cards instore using an AMEX? I'm just wondering now that the stores (or at least some of them) seem to take AMEX if they let you buy gift cards with it? I'm mainly asking because I don't want to trek there for no reason and if they're anything like Tesco they may decide not to sell them. I've a large order to put through online but they don't take AMEX online and I don't particularly want to pay the £5.95 fee for every £250 worth of cards that Voucher Express charge.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by Chandler Bing
Has anyone bought IKEA gift cards instore using an AMEX? I'm just wondering now that the stores (or at least some of them) seem to take AMEX if they let you buy gift cards with it? I'm mainly asking because I don't want to trek there for no reason and if they're anything like Tesco they may decide not to sell them. I've a large order to put through online but they don't take AMEX online and I don't particularly want to pay the £5.95 fee for every £250 worth of cards that Voucher Express charge.
I haven't tried - but I don't see why they wouldn't.

IKEA Edinburgh was unable to process a refund to an Amex over the phone a few weeks ago - apparently they haven't got round to that bit yet...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by nearlyheadlessian
I haven't tried - but I don't see why they wouldn't.

IKEA Edinburgh was unable to process a refund to an Amex over the phone a few weeks ago - apparently they haven't got round to that bit yet...
So as soon as you discovered this you went out and bought thousands of pounds worth of items with the intention of returning them? Credit a refund to a debit card so it goes straight into your bank
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
OT: Using BA Amex at IKEA

So this eBay/PayPal trick - was the idea that you could just sell yourself something for say £10k and get the voucher in one transaction? Surely it can't have been that easy. And if so, surely it doesn't still work?!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Gold)
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
So this eBay/PayPal trick - was the idea that you could just sell yourself something for say £10k and get the voucher in one transaction? Surely it can't have been that easy. And if so, surely it doesn't still work?!
Rest assured PayPal are extremely hot on any kind of manufactured spending (even when they are are now taking a fee).

Given their size they are an obvious target for money laundering and have the systems in place to detect any suspicious transactions.

Trying anything on with PayPal will see you account suspended for audit and a difficult time getting your money released.

Sorry to sound so doom and gloom but it isn't a topic that should be explored by anyone simply looking for a few credit card miles!

Much better off at Ikea....
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by Blenz101
Rest assured PayPal are extremely hot on any kind of manufactured spending (even when they are are now taking a fee).

Given their size they are an obvious target for money laundering and have the systems in place to detect any suspicious transactions.

Trying anything on with PayPal will see you account suspended for audit and a difficult time getting your money released.

Sorry to sound so doom and gloom but it isn't a topic that should be explored by anyone simply looking for a few credit card miles!

Much better off at Ikea....
I entirely agree! Couldn't believe people would try that!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Hmmmm I've to buy a kitchen. Wonder if I could put this through Amex get a quick 241.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MickV
Hmmmm I've to buy a kitchen. Wonder if I could put this through Amex get a quick 241.
That's exactly what I'm doing, we're getting our new kitchen from Ikea but as you can't use Amex online I think I'm going to try and pop into Ikea later this week and see if I can use it to buy gift cards in store and then use them to pay online. We currently have a separate kitchen and dining room, and with a view of combining them when putting the new kitchen in, the benefit of Ikea's system is that I can not only design it exactly how I want it but also do it all myself (bar electrical, plumbing & gas work obviously) in stages with minimal disruption to cooking facilities and also as time / money permits.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Can confirm that bristol Ikea now takes amex - signs on front entrance announcing this.
However, contactless did not work.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leaveamessage
Can confirm that bristol Ikea now takes amex - signs on front entrance announcing this.
However, contactless did not work.
A lot* of machines that take contactless have not been set up for Amex so you need to use chip and pin.

* although the situation is definitely improving. Back in 2011 the Amex contactless didn't seem to work anywhere:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-d...-anywhere.html

(notice in that post I was against TFL accepting contactless credit cards, now I'm taking part in the pilot phase of TFL accepting contactless on the tube, DLR, etc and find it convenient).
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by MickV
"Can I put this on the Amex" is probably my most frequent thought...beyond "is it acceptable to start drinking yet" (with the answer to both being "go ahead and try anyway )

We got our kitchen from B&Q who don't accept Amex and I'm ashamed to say I thought for more than a moment about changing the design entirely just to buy from somewhere that does
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by wadewadewade
"Can I put this on the Amex" is probably my most frequent thought...beyond "is it acceptable to start drinking yet" (with the answer to both being "go ahead and try anyway )

We got our kitchen from B&Q who don't accept Amex and I'm ashamed to say I thought for more than a moment about changing the design entirely just to buy from somewhere that does
Welcome to FT and for sure in a true FT spirit
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wadewadewade

You can but B&Q giftcards from Tesco where you can pay on Amex + you get a nice clubcard bonus for every £50 you spend that can also be moved to Avios (or Virgin).

My main annoyance is that B&Q used to accept Amex. When they stopped Homebase and Amex did a lot of cross-promotion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.