Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone spent their Avios on Hotel Stays?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
Anyone spent their Avios on Hotel Stays?

I booked one night at a hotel in San Francisco using my Avios points. I print out a voucher and turn into the hotel to pay for the room. It appears then the hotel mails the voucher somewhere to get reimbursed. Sounds sorta hokey. Has anyone done this before?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: NZ *Gold
Originally Posted by koctail
I booked one night at a hotel in San Francisco using my Avios points. I print out a voucher and turn into the hotel to pay for the room. It appears then the hotel mails the voucher somewhere to get reimbursed. Sounds sorta hokey. Has anyone done this before?
You got me there. I've had to google hokey and it comes up with:
Mawkishly sentimental; corny. Noticeably contrived; artificial.

But vouchers are used by a number of travel agents, and on the one occasion I used Airmiles I had a prepaid voucher - got one for a flight and hotel holiday booked through BA for cash too.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Not sure what you mean by "Hokey" ......I have twice used Avios for good deals on hotels at London Heathrow airport..... (Holiday Inn group..Crown Plaza) No issues, worked fine.... even got upgraded to a Queen room.... prior to getting a flight.
I was asked for my Credit card, but I refused, saying that it was pre-paid voucher... Very happy.

Last edited by Skipcool3; Feb 15, 2012 at 5:07 pm
Old Feb 15, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: lots of little things
I redeemed Avios for the Breakfree Waterfront in Queenstown. Though I had the "voucher" in hand, it was absolutely not needed, and they didn't have any clue about why they would need it. Said their system just showed the reservation as prepaid and we were good to go.

I have a feeling it's just suggested to bring for confirmation purposes.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Not sure what you mean by "Hokey" ......I have twice used Avios for good deals on hotels at London Heathrow airport..... (Holiday Inn group..Crown Plaza) No issues, worked fine.... even got upgraded to a Queen room.... prior to getting a flight.
I was asked for my Credit card, but I refused, saying that it was pre-paid voucher... Very happy.
I think by Hokey he means something from the 1980s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.