FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Schiphol Bomb Threat (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1313576-schiphol-bomb-threat.html)

OPebble Feb 13, 2012 4:28 am

Schiphol Bomb Threat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17011194:td:

henkybaby Feb 13, 2012 4:31 am

Just Terminal 1 and part of Terminal 2. Not the entire airport. It will all be over in an hour or so, is my guess.

The 'threat' (a disturbed individual claiming to have a bomb) is landside at T1. Pax can still get to their gates and if you're airside you won't feel a thing.

OPebble Feb 13, 2012 5:07 am

BA432 was cancelled. Scheduled to depart LHR 08:55. Don't know if related.

MSPeconomist Feb 13, 2012 5:10 am

Originally Posted by OPebble (Post 18004878)

This link leads to a page not found message.

JonV Feb 13, 2012 5:17 am

Try this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17011194

David-A Feb 13, 2012 5:19 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 18004981)
This link leads to a page not found message.

Just remove the thumbsdown " : TD : " from the end of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17011194

[This should be seen as a very 'every day' occurance.]

vla Feb 13, 2012 5:27 am

AT5 Amsterdam television says the arrest team brought the guy in and that things will be getting back to normal soon.

Here's some video of it if you are bored: http://www.at5.nl/artikelen/76208/vi...n-bij-schiphol

henkybaby Feb 13, 2012 5:27 am

It is already over.

chucko Feb 13, 2012 11:03 am

Looney in the loo.

sunrisegirl Feb 13, 2012 11:12 am

That's the bit I love too

The bomb at the airport would be the work of a troubled man on a toilet.
The mind boggles! :D

vla Feb 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Given the recent history of the underpants bomber travelling through Schiphol, the police took the situation very seriously, and I say well done indeed.

It was a "disturbed" Russian who had barricaded himself into the toilets upstairs near the Panorama Terrace. He went to eat something at the restaurant nearby, then left without paying, freaked out and made for the loo. He has neither passport nor ID, so it will be a bit of an issue to sort out.

Fortunately, no explosives at all were found.

PanGalactic Feb 13, 2012 1:44 pm

A bit OT but, here's a story you will all enjoy I'm sure.

A cab driver once tried to rip us off at Arlanda Airport, can't remember the figures now but it was about 3x what we paid for the airport->hotel transfer on the way there.

Anyway, I expressed concern about the numbers on the meter going up so fast and first he threatened to leave us on the motorway, then I said, it's fine, we'll speak to the police at the airport and see what they have to say. He then started making calls on his phone speaking in Arabic (I think) which was really intimidating to us as we thought he was likely to drive us somewhere other than the airport to be met by a bunch of thugs or something.

In the end we finally arrived at the airport and he just started driving really slowly but not stopping whilst demanding we paid what he asked. So I open the door and get out while the car is still moving and he speeds up a bit. I managed to get to the front of the car and basically spread myself over it, while shouting "POLICE, POLICE" at the top of my voice.

The only thing this achieved was to get a lot of strange looks from the bystanders, no one came to assist, and certainly no police were to be seen rushing to our rescue.

In the end he decided to stop and I quickly grabbed all our bags from his boot and just threw the correct money at him through the passenger window. He then wheel-spinned off and we went into the airport to check in.

5 minutes later, he is in the airport and comes up to us saying, look can you just give me 1/2 of the rest of the money and I'll leave you alone.

I laughed in his face and said, let's find a policeman and see what he thinks, he soon disappeared.

This happened roughly about 5 years ago, so well after the 9/11 airport security beef-ups.

The point being, where the hell were the police?

I can't imagine something like this would ever happen at our beloved LHR, or Schipol.

jamesie_version1 Feb 13, 2012 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic (Post 18008168)
A bit OT but, here's a story you will all enjoy I'm sure.

A cab driver once tried to rip us off at Arlanda Airport, can't remember the figures now but it was about 3x what we paid for the airport->hotel transfer on the way there.

Anyway, I expressed concern about the numbers on the meter going up so fast and first he threatened to leave us on the motorway, then I said, it's fine, we'll speak to the police at the airport and see what they have to say. He then started making calls on his phone speaking in Arabic (I think) which was really intimidating to us as we thought he was likely to drive us somewhere other than the airport to be met by a bunch of thugs or something.

In the end we finally arrived at the airport and he just started driving really slowly but not stopping whilst demanding we paid what he asked. So I open the door and get out while the car is still moving and he speeds up a bit. I managed to get to the front of the car and basically spread myself over it, while shouting "POLICE, POLICE" at the top of my voice.

The only thing this achieved was to get a lot of strange looks from the bystanders, no one came to assist, and certainly no police were to be seen rushing to our rescue.

In the end he decided to stop and I quickly grabbed all our bags from his boot and just threw the correct money at him through the passenger window. He then wheel-spinned off and we went into the airport to check in.

5 minutes later, he is in the airport and comes up to us saying, look can you just give me 1/2 of the rest of the money and I'll leave you alone.

I laughed in his face and said, let's find a policeman and see what he thinks, he soon disappeared.

This happened roughly about 5 years ago, so well after the 9/11 airport security beef-ups.

The point being, where the hell were the police?

I can't imagine something like this would ever happen at our beloved LHR, or Schipol.

Are you aware that there are different kinds of taxi's in Stockholm, one's with fixed rates which are much cheaper that the standard meters.

If not, there's a fair chance that you hailed a standard meter, and actually screwed the taxi driver over.

PanGalactic Feb 13, 2012 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by jamesie_version1 (Post 18008980)
Are you aware that there are different kinds of taxi's in Stockholm, one's with fixed rates which are much cheaper that the standard meters.

If not, there's a fair chance that you hailed a standard meter, and actually screwed the taxi driver over.

No, I didn't know that, but the hotel arranged the cab for us. It was booked in advance, not hailed from the street.

If he wasn't screwing us, why was he not willing wait to talk to the police I wonder?

KenJohn Feb 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic (Post 18009019)
If he wasn't screwing us, why was he not willing wait to talk to the police I wonder?

Immigration status ?