Search

BA and JAL filed for ATI application

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:18 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
BA and JAL filed for ATI application

Nothing on BA/IAG website yet but JAL has issued a press release (http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201202/002023.html). They have filed for the ATI application with the authorities in Japan and Europe today and are intended to form a joint business venture between Japan and Europe
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Doesn't look like it, but it would be good if this extended to JAL flights to Australia and elsewhere in the Pacific. I've done the trip to Oz via Japan 3 times on JAL, when they had direct flights to Brisbane, and generally liked the timings of the flights. Stopped off in Tokyo a few times too which I'd prefer to go back to than other Asian stop overs. Amazing city and culture.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dddc
Doesn't look like it, but it would be good if this extended to JAL flights to Australia and elsewhere in the Pacific. I've done the trip to Oz via Japan 3 times on JAL, when they had direct flights to Brisbane, and generally liked the timings of the flights. Stopped off in Tokyo a few times too which I'd prefer to go back to than other Asian stop overs. Amazing city and culture.
I am not even sure if the JV will cover flights to Asia or not. They only specifically mention flights between Japan and EU without mentioning connecting flights to Asia. Maybe because it doesn't make much sense to connect to Asia via Japan
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
JAL in T5 at LHR is likely to happen.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
JAL in T5 at LHR is likely to happen.
Yea since they only have 1 daily 777-300ER flight to LHR and are already using the BA lounge
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
So does this mean we'll be seeing more of you over here JALPak ?

BAH
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
This should be fun, with all the AA folks here and the JAL folks too, just dont mention the war!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic
This should be fun, with all the AA folks here and the JAL folks too, just dont mention the war!
Perhaps JALPak would like to come for delicious Unagi in London one evening - I can organise a BA Board 'do' to eat scrumptious Japanese food...

BAH
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
Perhaps JALPak would like to come for delicious Unagi in London one evening - I can organise a BA Board 'do' to eat scrumptious Japanese food...

BAH
+1 ^ Count me in!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dddc
Oh forgot to add, even if they want to cover flights to Australia, they probably need to count QF in too since BA already has a JV with QF

Originally Posted by BAHumbug

BAH
Unfortunately LHR isn't part of my travel plan this year unless they have another USD2012 promotion Hey if you want Unagi, you should do that in Japan instead, it comes with complimentary radiation
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
Unfortunately LHR isn't part of my travel plan this year unless they have another USD2012 promotion Hey if you want Unagi, you should do that in Japan instead, it comes with complimentary radiation
LOL - I was in Japan in October and had lots of yummy irradiated food Unagi amongst other things !

Will be on JAL in May..looking forward to it a lot as a 'mini-Japan-fix' !

BAH
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:55 am

For those who want to avoid transfering at LHR

Helsinki - the Gateway between Japan and Europe
JAL will also open its first new service between Japan and Europe in 20 years, when it begins to operate four weekly
flights from March 2013, using the 787-8 Dreamliner connecting Narita and Helsinki

Helsinki Airport’s compact and well-designed terminal allows for minimum connection time as short as 35 to 40 minutes, and offers customers
smooth connections to and from 54 cities within Europe.

JAL is planning timetables so that flights arriving in the afternoon in Helsinki will have optimal transfers to Finnair’s onward European connections.

http://press.jal.co.jp/en/bw_uploads...0HEL_FINAL.pdf

https://newsclient.omxgroup.com/cdsP...490852&lang=en
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
For those who want to avoid transfering at LHR

Helsinki - the Gateway between Japan and Europe
JAL will also open its first new service between Japan and Europe in 20 years, when it begins to operate four weekly
flights from March 2013, using the 787-8 Dreamliner connecting Narita and Helsinki

Helsinki Airport’s compact and well-designed terminal allows for minimum connection time as short as 35 to 40 minutes, and offers customers
smooth connections to and from 54 cities within Europe.

JAL is planning timetables so that flights arriving in the afternoon in Helsinki will have optimal transfers to Finnair’s onward European connections.

http://press.jal.co.jp/en/bw_uploads...0HEL_FINAL.pdf

https://newsclient.omxgroup.com/cdsP...490852&lang=en
This is really good news for everybody who is connecting to/from NRT.

HEL is a very quick connection.

The real winner on this deal, must be AY who gets all the connecting pax... Good for them!

Old Mar 1, 2012, 5:03 pm

Does anyone know roughly what benefits this will bring? The article mentions similarities with the AA alliance.

I'm personally hoping for two things - upgrade with BA miles on JAL metal, and also codeshares between London and Tokyo.

I want to be able to connect in narita for sapporo but the BA flight has terrible connection times with JAL. A codeshare would be perfect so I can do JAL on the way out and BA on the return.

Any ideas how long these sort of agreements take to setup?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:45 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by DG55
Does anyone know roughly what benefits this will bring? The article mentions similarities with the AA alliance.

I'm personally hoping for two things - upgrade with BA miles on JAL metal, and also codeshares between London and Tokyo.

I want to be able to connect in narita for sapporo but the BA flight has terrible connection times with JAL. A codeshare would be perfect so I can do JAL on the way out and BA on the return.

Any ideas how long these sort of agreements take to setup?
As a ball-park, I think AA and JAL applied for their joint venture in early 2010 and received regulatory approval by the end of the year and launched it in April 2011. So as a guide, we could see the BA/JAL joint venture up and running from the Summer 13 schedule.

Obvious areas are co-ordination of schedules, code-sharing and joint-marketing etc, as per the AA and QF joint businesses.

We might see routes to destinations in Japan other than Tokyo but this is likely be more of a longer term prospect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.