Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's the most Avios you got from BA as compensation and for what?

What's the most Avios you got from BA as compensation and for what?

Old May 15, 2024, 1:26 pm

Thank you for those who think more Avios is not unreasonable based on what BA have given other passengers for a more minor complaint. Please advise how I go about getting more.
Old May 16, 2024, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by onceiflewoften
Thank you for those who think more Avios is not unreasonable based on what BA have given other passengers for a more minor complaint. Please advise how I go about getting more.
When I had an issue on a F booking, I emailed youfirst (Including the reference number), advise you think the offer is insufficient. Ultimately there is not guarantee they'll up the offer. But It's wirth a try.
Old May 16, 2024, 6:35 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Based on that they have literally seconds to review and click a response I would
(1) separate the issues, seat is not related to food...
(2) No more than two sentences - many people write way too much. What was the issue and then the impact.
(3) Something like. "Very disappointed that my seat 2K was unable to be reclined, resulting in lack of sleep and general discomfort. I had selected First specifically to be able to sleep on the long flight" *I am ignoring that you were actually shifted to a working seat.
(4) Separate for food. something like - "While I understand that there are limits to catering, I was disappointed that on both flights I was unable to obtain my first choice of meals, greatly devaluing the experience for me as a valued customer"

Then let the gods go. Someone may have better wording, but I always stick to two sentences - the fault and the impact.
I also find a photo helps - where appropriate

KF
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 10:22 am
AEP

Hello, I flew from JNB to LHR in Premium Economy. I was pressured by another passenger to swap seats so she could sit next to her husband. I ended up at the back of PE next to the toilet. The toilet door was malfunctioning so it was secured in the open position so passengers could not use it. This did not deter passengers - I endured a passenger profusely vomiting and male passengers urinating in full view, next to my seat. I am a silver Executive club member. I complained to 3 members of the crew and even asked to be downgraded to Economy as the experience was so appalling and I couldn't get any sleep. I was told the flight was full. I complained as soon as I arrived home and have been given 10K avios points. Do you think this is reasonable. I had asked for a refund in the difference in price between economy and premium economy as I completely wasted my money upgrading the cabin. Thank you.
Old May 17, 2024, 10:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AEP
Hello, I flew from JNB to LHR in Premium Economy. I was pressured by another passenger to swap seats so she could sit next to her husband. I ended up at the back of PE next to the toilet. .
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum. I doubt you will be so amenable next time, truly no good deed goes unpunished. 10k seems to be a rapid response amount, which is offered with the most cursory reads. I know of cases where this has been offered simply because the complaint was too long for the agent to read, though I'm suggesting that is the case here since I don't know your details . You should revert and say that you are disappointed by this response, and would be seeking a much better settlement than this. You do have further escalation routes open to you. I suspect that asking for the difference from WT to WTP isn't going to work at this stage (it may be later on), but 10k is too little.
Old May 22, 2024, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
When I had an issue on a F booking, I emailed youfirst (Including the reference number), advise you think the offer is insufficient. Ultimately there is not guarantee they'll up the offer. But It's wirth a try.
Where do I find the youfirst email address, please?

Also thank you to Koru flyer's advice on how to complain and only mention a single complaint topic at a time. The Email complaints form actually allowed you to add complaint upon complaint (which rather does suggest many do have multiple complaints). But each complaint was brief and succinct. My more fulsome info was added as additional info, not in part of the complaints themselves. But multiple applications may well have elicited more Avios in the first place, had not considered that wise thought.

In addition to this ongoing issue, I will be starting a new complaint. Flew CE on a 3 hour flight with a blocked and sealed up hand basin last week in the forward toilet cubicle. Cabin crew were handing out individual bottles of hand sanitiser to every passengers as they headed to the loo, or suggesting the hike down to the back of the bus if they needed actual water. I had headed to the loo to insert contact lenses and no way was going near my eyes doing that with hand sanitiser chemical residues on my fingers so waited until I got to my destination airport. Will post here to let you know what response I get to that one in due course.
Old May 29, 2024, 11:32 am

15k avios for a filthy champagne glass in CW
Old Jun 3, 2024, 10:39 am

Put complaint for chaotic boarding at BLL was in group 1 due to being CE. Basically tannoy announcements saying gate will close in 8 minutes whilst half passengers stuck in passport control. Then to get to crowded gate and basically free for all, stuck on air bridge for 10 minutes. Complaint went in yesterday got 100 voucher was more than the actual upgrade I paid so not bad. Speaking to a regular seems like a common occurrence there

Last edited by anna1stclass; Jun 3, 2024 at 10:40 am Reason: Mistake
Old Jun 10, 2024, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'd appreciate any insights or opinions on this one. I put in a complaint a few days ago for a recent flight in F.

The food was great, the service superb but everything about the hard product was lacking.

We were on ZBKS so no Wi-Fi (which came as a surprise to the crew when we told them that's why it wasn't working), the IFE was temperamental - mine kept rebooting and half the time the handheld jobby showed only file names and not titles of what was on offer so when it did work, it was difficult to use.

​​​​​The F suite itself, was scruffy and in poor condition. The sidewall of mine was smeared in god knows what, the upholstery was hanging off the ottomen, in the OHs he had to spend all flight closing the wardrobe that had a life of its own with a busted latch. Similarly with my table that kept popping out on a whim.

One of the very first things the crew did before starting service was apologise for the state of the seats and say how embarrassing they are for such a new aircraft and encouraging us to complain.

Anyway, been offered 20K Avios. Not expecting the earth but went back thinking that doesn't seem very much - I've had that for significantly more trivial CE issues before - but they're sticking at 20K because 'some of the issues I raised can only be addressed by an apology'.

Does that seem about right? Or is there someway to escalate it up the chain.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BJ787
I'd appreciate any insights or opinions on this one. I put in a complaint a few days ago for a recent flight in F.

The food was great, the service superb but everything about the hard product was lacking.

We were on ZBKS so no Wi-Fi (which came as a surprise to the crew when we told them that's why it wasn't working), the IFE was temperamental - mine kept rebooting and half the time the handheld jobby showed only file names and not titles of what was on offer so when it did work, it was difficult to use.

​​​​​The F suite itself, was scruffy and in poor condition. The sidewall of mine was smeared in god knows what, the upholstery was hanging off the ottomen, in the OHs he had to spend all flight closing the wardrobe that had a life of its own with a busted latch. Similarly with my table that kept popping out on a whim.

One of the very first things the crew did before starting service was apologise for the state of the seats and say how embarrassing they are for such a new aircraft and encouraging us to complain.

Anyway, been offered 20K Avios. Not expecting the earth but went back thinking that doesn't seem very much - I've had that for significantly more trivial CE issues before - but they're sticking at 20K because 'some of the issues I raised can only be addressed by an apology'.

Does that seem about right? Or is there someway to escalate it up the chain.
I received 10k for no meal choice on a short CE flight, so 20k seems very mean.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Diamond, Mucci des repas d'enfant
15,000 Avios for an inedible potato-slime meal in CW
Old Jun 13, 2024, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC; VFC; IHGOR
20,000 Avios each for Mrs. B.Cam and I. Issues: change of flight affecting hotel booking, outbound baggage collection being delayed by 45 minutes with no priority distribution, return flight delayed by over an hour with no explanation provided and additional delay once onboard, inbound priority boarding not enforced, dirty seating area onboard.
Old Yesterday, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I've had a run of bad luck with seats on my recent long hauls. Back in October in F my seat wouldn't recline, although on a day flight so not the end of the world, and I received 140,000 Avios as compensation for that.

More recently in May I again had a seat with recline problems in J back from LAX overnight, so rather more annoying (although I don't ever sleep well on planes). I cpmplained and received 15,000 as the immediate (next day) "automatic" resolution. I replied via the web form and said that really wasn't enough - heard nothing. A month later I chased again via the web form, and suggested in it that I would consider 60,000 appropriate. They came back within a couple of days with an apology, noted I'd asked for 60,000, but decided actually 80,000 was more warranted. I really didn't expect them to offer more than what I was asking for, so am quite pleased with that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.