Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's the most Avios you got from BA as compensation and for what?

What's the most Avios you got from BA as compensation and for what?

Old Oct 11, 17, 5:34 pm

Programs: I am a lowly ant
no IFE KUL-LHR (return leg in super-discounted economy), 5000 Avios
Old Dec 4, 17, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO-LAX-JFK-LHR, BA First/AA Transcon First/AA Domestic First.

I wrote to express my disappointment with regard to the shambolic catering on LAX-JFK and the food I received in the CCR at JFK (raw lamb and incredibly overdone pork).

Some called to profusely apologise and promise things would be taken seriously and followed up on. I was offered 10,000 Avios.
Old Dec 4, 17, 9:23 am

Programs: BA, AF, Emirates Silver
IFE in Club to JNB A while ago was not working at my seat nor at the chapís next to me. I wasnít bothered as I intended to sleep but my neighbour made a real song and dance about it. When the Purser asked him how amends could be made by way of apology he replied that being made a Gold would be good. I just raised my eyebrows at her and she squeezed my shoulder as she left. I got 10,000 Avios, I donít know what he got, not Gold thatís for sure.
Old Dec 4, 17, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by ringingup View Post
LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO-LAX-JFK-LHR, BA First/AA Transcon First/AA Domestic First.

I wrote to express my disappointment with regard to the shambolic catering on LAX-JFK and the food I received in the CCR at JFK (raw lamb and incredibly overdone pork).

Some called to profusely apologise and promise things would be taken seriously and followed up on. I was offered 10,000 Avios.
You complained to BA about AA catering?

Did you receive the vouchers from AA for the recent catering issues they've been having ex-LAX?
haroon145 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 17, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
You complained to BA about AA catering?

Did you receive the vouchers from AA for the recent catering issues they've been having ex-LAX?
I provided my feedback on the overall catering experience for a journey on a BA ticket. The gentlemen on the phone was apologetic and grateful for my feedback. He obviously pointed out that one of the flights was operated by a partner airline, but he also specified that it's not something they expect from their partner airlines.

I am aware that it's a responsibility of the operating carrier to compensate in cases like this, should they wish to. I have been promised a voucher from AA, which has allegedly been sent by post, but that I haven't received yet. Despite my request for clarification, I'm still unclear of what the rules for the voucher are. I have at the moment no plans of travelling to the US in the next 12 months, so I'm not sure if I'll even manage to use it.
rossmacd likes this.

Last edited by ringingup; Dec 4, 17 at 10:01 am
Old Dec 4, 17, 9:50 am

I provided my feedback on the overall catering experience for a journey on a BA ticket. The gentlemen on the phone was apologetic and grateful for my feedback. He obviously pointed out that one of the flights was operated by a partner airline, but he also specified that it's not something they expect from their partner airlines.

I am aware that it's a responsibility of the operating carrier to compensate in cases like this, should they wish to. I have been promised a voucher from AA which has allegedly been sent by post, but that I haven't received yet. Despite my request for clarification, I'm still unclear of what the rules for the voucher are. I have at the moment no plans of travelling to the US in the next 12 months, so I'm not sure if I'll even manage to use it.
Thanks for clarifying. Good to see BA taking the feedback on partners onboard - maybe this will help to influence AA to sorting out the issues? (we can dream!)

The voucher will be sent by post. I seem to be generating a bit of a collection of them (not just catering issues, I must add). They are useful to discount AA tickets (international and domestic itineraries) by quite some margin. More information on the AA board.
Old Jan 8, 18, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat., MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis First, Nat'l Exec.
Absolutely horrible 6 flight trip on all BA metal that I recently filed a complaint with online with BA. The issues included some of the worst crews I have ever encountered in 1M+ miles of travel (including a FA elbowing me in the side of the head and in the face 4 separate times and yelling at me that she will stand where she wants when I kindly asked if she could relocate or watch her arms because she was hitting me repeatedly), having a passenger sit (and sleep) in the FA jump seat directly in front of my seat and take up half the legroom of the seat while the FAs just shrugged their shoulders over the pax sitting there the entire flight, having an entire row of non-working power outlets and USB outlets, as well as the headphone jack needing to have the headphones physically taped into it to make it work on a 9 hour TATL and getting food poisoning from either the onboard catering or the BA Lounge in T5 North. Flights were a mix of Y and W with a total ticket cost of ~$1,700 and I have no status with BA, but do have OW Sapphire status (Plat with AA). Took BA 10 days to respond to my online complaint with what was largely "sorry you didn't enjoy your flights with us, we're working on getting better." Nothing offered as compensation. Who knew an airline could actually make the dumpster fire that is UA look so good?
Old Jan 8, 18, 1:07 pm

Poor handling of irrops in IST meaning we were almost last to get re booked on the next morning IST-LHR. Although re booking was supposed to be by status first, it would seem that people who spoke Turkish and shouted loudly got re booked first. By the time we got re booked the LHR-IST that we were to travel on the next morning had already left LHR, so no CE meals next morning for the re booked pax. Given 20000 avios, and same for Mrs rapidex.
Old Jan 8, 18, 2:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by aves17 View Post
Absolutely horrible 6 flight trip on all BA metal that I recently filed a complaint with online with BA. The issues included some of the worst crews I have ever encountered in 1M+ miles of travel (including a FA elbowing me in the side of the head and in the face 4 separate times and yelling at me that she will stand where she wants when I kindly asked if she could relocate or watch her arms because she was hitting me repeatedly), having a passenger sit (and sleep) in the FA jump seat directly in front of my seat and take up half the legroom of the seat while the FAs just shrugged their shoulders over the pax sitting there the entire flight, having an entire row of non-working power outlets and USB outlets, as well as the headphone jack needing to have the headphones physically taped into it to make it work on a 9 hour TATL and getting food poisoning from either the onboard catering or the BA Lounge in T5 North. Flights were a mix of Y and W with a total ticket cost of ~$1,700 and I have no status with BA, but do have OW Sapphire status (Plat with AA). Took BA 10 days to respond to my online complaint with what was largely "sorry you didn't enjoy your flights with us, we're working on getting better." Nothing offered as compensation. Who knew an airline could actually make the dumpster fire that is UA look so good?
Well if you sent the above list in to BA like that I'm not wholly surprised you weren't offered anything. Having said that it appears you experienced:

1. Cabin crew physically abusing you multiple times
2. Cabin crew shouting at you
3. Non working outlets and USB ports (I'm guessing T5 Galleries North?)
4. A passenger sat in a jump seat
5. Headphone jack not securing properly
6. Suffering from food poisoning caused by an unknown source at an unknown location

That's quite a collection of events. I agree that 3 and 5 are not great. Were you able to find working outlets and ports somewhere in the lounge? Did the cabin crew offer to move you to a seat with a working headphone jack or was that related to the battering you were getting?

On 1, 2 and 4 did you speak with the senior cabin crew member onboard? If so I'd be particularly interested in their response to 1.
Old Jan 8, 18, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat., MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis First, Nat'l Exec.
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Well if you sent the above list in to BA like that I'm not wholly surprised you weren't offered anything. Having said that it appears you experienced:

1. Cabin crew physically abusing you multiple times
2. Cabin crew shouting at you
3. Non working outlets and USB ports (I'm guessing T5 Galleries North?)
4. A passenger sat in a jump seat
5. Headphone jack not securing properly
6. Suffering from food poisoning caused by an unknown source at an unknown location

That's quite a collection of events. I agree that 3 and 5 are not great. Were you able to find working outlets and ports somewhere in the lounge? Did the cabin crew offer to move you to a seat with a working headphone jack or was that related to the battering you were getting?

On 1, 2 and 4 did you speak with the senior cabin crew member onboard? If so I'd be particularly interested in their response to 1.
No, that was not how it was sent to BA. That was just a bullet point broad strokes overview of what transpired. What was sent to BA laid out specifics (who I spoke with about each issue, what the response was, etc).

The non-working power ports and USB were onboard the aircraft (788). The Lounge (T5 North) was so packed (as usual) that it was impossible to secure a spot near a power port. I didn't think anything of it as I knew the 788s have power ports and USBs. The non-working headphone jack was on that same flight (literally the only thing in the seat that worked was the IFE screen itself). Y was sold out so there was no possibility of being re-seated elsewhere in the cabin in a seat with a working power port/USB/headphone jack.

The flight where I was repeatedly elbowed and hit in the head and face, the FA that was doing that and that yelled that she would stand where she wanted was in fact the lead FA on that flight. Her and 2 other FAs were in the aisle due to a pax in the row in front of mine on the opposite side of the aircraft telling them she got grease or something on her shirt from her seat belt. You would have thought she was having a baby over how the FAs were freaking out over a seemingly innocuous issue. I have no idea why you need 3 FAs to address that "issue," but she apparently needed to be there to supervise the wiping down of the seat belt.

The flight where the pax took the jump seat I spoke with 3 different FAs. The first two FAs just shrugged and said there wasn't anything they could do about it. The third FA was the lead FA on the flight who told me they'd ask her to move when the FA needed to take the seat for the approach into LHR. When I asked why they would not ask her to return to her seat before then, I was told that she wasn't in anyone's way, so they saw no reason to ask her to move. When I pointed out that she was in my way, I was told I could ask her to move then (which I did, but the pax acted like she didn't speak English).

With regards to the food poisoning, the only food I ate during the ~34 hours prior to spending 2 1/2 days running to the bathroom nonstop was food prepared by BA (either in their lounges or on their flights). The 2 meals I had ~48-56 hours prior to the food poisoning were meals that I split with my mom who did not get sick. While I agree that there is no way to definitively prove that it was BA's food that caused the food poisoning, the doctor agreed that it was highly likely that it was from the BA food as it fit the traditional time frame of the onset of food poisoning. The doctor also said that given the severity of the food poisoning that he didn't think that my mom would've not gotten sick from it as well if it was one of the meals we split. Thus why I'm confident it was the BA food that caused the food poisoning.
Old Jan 8, 18, 7:25 pm

I got the most 25000 for the damage to my baby's stroller. Initially, they were not ready to agree that it was enough damaged. I had to quite talk to few officials before it was settled.
Old Jan 8, 18, 9:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al

I am aware that it's a responsibility of the operating carrier to compensate in cases like this, should they wish to. I have been promised a voucher from AA, which has allegedly been sent by post, but that I haven't received yet. Despite my request for clarification, I'm still unclear of what the rules for the voucher are. I have at the moment no plans of travelling to the US in the next 12 months, so I'm not sure if I'll even manage to use it.
They are usable on AA and codeshares with AA flight numbers but last time I checked that there weren't any that didn't include US departures or destinations so, as you suspect, might not be much use to you.
Old Jan 22, 18, 4:51 am

You may have read elsewhere that I had a broken seat 64K on the UD of a JFK-LHR last week (the passenger - not travelling with me - in 64J also had a broken seat). The defect was that the seat would not recline fully to the bed position. JFK-LHR for me is all about sleep, so it was frustrating.

BA Customer Relations have just come back to me with an offer of apology, and 40k Avios as a gesture of goodwill.

Honestly, I am surprised at the level, but it appears that BA has now turned a corner in the very mean recompense to problems that we saw in 2017.

Am I happy? No, I would have preferred that my seat was operational rather than receiving Avios. However, I will say well done to BA here for finally providing a decent level of service recovery.
Old Jan 22, 18, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Pft - four times what was offered for my defective F seat on an brand new 789 18 months ago

Turned corner indeed

Well done !
Old Jan 22, 18, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Agreed with the notion that BA were generous a few years ago, extremely tight until late last year, and on a charm offensive again now.

A few years back I was due to take a late flight ABZ-LHR, and needed to be in London the next afternoon. I was Gold at the time. Flight was cancelled due to weather conditions at ABZ even though all other carriers landed fine. Anyway, BA's auto-rebooking shoved me on a flight about 24 hours later, and I couldn't get through to BA on the phone, nor do anything online. Spent a few hours attempting to grab cancellation seats on the Virgin red eye, but to no avail. Eventually took the train. Anyway, e-mailed CS and received a most apologetic call back a couple of days later (agreeing that I should have been put on BA's red eye), and they sent me 50,000 Avios. Very generous.

Fast-forward to January last year, and my wife (BA Blue at the time) flew in First (first time!) to Phoenix and back with a friend on an Amex 2-4-1. Multiple problems boarding the aircraft as BA moved their seats (twice! - once at the gate, again onboard and not back to the original seats), making her feel pretty unwelcome. No explanation, pretty surly (BA, not my wife!). On the way back, they couldn't OLCI - "check in at airport" appeared on screen. That rang my alarm bells, and I spent quite some time trying to fix it. Turns out that when I had upgraded them from CW to First on the return leg a few months beforehand, BA had not properly re-ticketed. I got several somewhat obscure answers as to what the problem had been. BA then proceeded (without letting me know) to deduct Avios they had previously forgotten to deduct months beforehand, and charge change fees to a credit card I was now using for balance transfers (causing various knock-on issues on the card). Only when I asked what was going on did they admit their previous errors in re-ticketing. Anyway, my wife (not a frequent flyer) was pretty stressed, and I was up half the night in the UK sorting it. Long e-mail to BA, result was a script-reading and overly long telephone call offering absolutely no compensation, and in fact defending their right to bill my credit card months after the event without notice. After pointing out this was unacceptable, 5000 Avios was the final offer. Unimpressive.

In the past couple of months I've been weekly on NCL-LHR in CE. A couple of cancellations during the poor weather (not BA's fault, of course) but rebooking bot seems to have gone haywire. No attempt to put me on alternative flights. I rang to ask if there was something in my profile causing an issue, and was told they were having problems with the system. Received 10,000 Avios - far more generous that my wife's treatment a year beforehand, for far less hassle. I wondered at the time if this was merely status-related.

I typically choose row 3 on the above route, to avoid issues with overhead bins in rows 1 and 2 (particularly on ex-BMI planes with no forward lockers), but far enough forward to get my choice of food if hungry. Last week they ran out of hot food part-way through row 2 of 7-row CE. I mentioned this in passing when I was speaking to the GGL line about an unrelated matter (even referring to it as a "first world problem"), and received a call back from CS the next day apologising and offering 5000 Avios. Again, very generous. The feedback I gave was only intended to help with food planning. However, leads me to believe the service recovery policy has indeed been revamped.

Search this Thread