Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Champagne for Golds in Y - is this common?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Champagne for Golds in Y - is this common?

On returning from a business trip last week, SFO-LHR, I was all the way back in 52B and during the first hour of the flight I was approached by two separate members of staff who greeted me by name, introduced themselves, etc. The second was a nice lady who offered champagne, which I gladly accepted. Now, I'm fairly fresh to Gold status - this was only my third flight, all in Y - but nothing of this sort occurred on either of the first two. I thought the extra focus on recognizing BAEC members with status was a Mixed Fleet thing, but as far as I know this was not an MF flight. Does this sort of thing happen often?

Worth mentioning: On all three occasions where a member of staff was looking for me (both of the ones who introduced themselves plus a third one who brought the champagne), they initially approached the very confused guy sitting in 52C. I guess they were thrown off by the fact that there is no A seat in rows 51-53, but you'd think at least one of them would be aware of the seat configuration. Even more amusingly, the exact same thing happened to another Gold who happened to be sitting in 51B
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Yes we have experienced this recently too ^
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:52 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Mmmmm. I think this could back-fire unless properly managed....
If I was sitting next to you, I wouldn't like to be told that I couldn't have any......
Economy, like Club or FIRST is a class of service.
Perhaps they could re-introduce champagne for a fee in economy and discreetly look after Golds for free, but perhaps BA would not want to formalise this.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Mmmmm. I think this could back-fire unless properly managed....
If I was sitting next to you, I wouldn't like to be told that I couldn't have any......
Perhaps they could re-introduce champagne for a fee in economy and discreetly look after Golds for free, but perhaps BA would not want to formalise this.
Not sure I agree, BA publicise quite widely exec club with differentiated service levels. Shouldnt be a surprise to people, think that's the whole point of the tiers

Nice to see some moves to actually diffentiate
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Originally Posted by JonV
Does this sort of thing happen often?
I am a Gold an fly BA every week. This has never happened to me and its very rare that anyone greets me by name at my seat (although it does occasionally happen).
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:17 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Supposing I was on a special holiday... perhaps a honeymoon, travelling (like 75% of people) in economy....
Spot Cabin crew waltzing around cabin handing out fizz....
Can I have some?
answer 1-
"Oh no sir, it's only available to our most loyal customers...... "(who of course spend a fortune..) How does that make that couple feel? glad they chose BA?
answer2-
"Yes, I can get you both a glass of champagne, are you celebrating......There is a small fee in economy, is that o.k?"

"it's the way we make you feel" as they used to say
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Supposing I was on a special holiday... perhaps a honeymoon, travelling (like 75% of people) in economy....
Spot Cabin crew waltzing around cabin handing out fizz....
Can I have some?
answer 1-
"Oh no sir, it's only available to our most loyal customers...... "(who of course spend a fortune..) How does that make that couple feel? glad they chose BA?
answer2-
"Yes, I can get you both a glass of champagne, are you celebrating......There is a small fee in economy, is that o.k?"

"it's the way we make you feel" as they used to say
Your logic is faulty. The cabin crew do not know, in your scenario, that said couple are travelling on their honeymoon; therefore, how are they supposed to know that this couple are due a couple of glasses of fizz ?

In any event, this simply highlights what I tend to feel about this board in general - cabin crew (and by extension other staff members) are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

BAH
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Except for the champagne I have sometimes been welcomed by the CSD who came up for a chat even when flying long haul in Y. It is a really nice touch but it does make some of your fellow pax curious about 'who you are to deserve this'. That was before CSDs became totally invisible.

I'm not sure about the champagne but I am appreciative that they will always give me 2 bottles of water from J.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
On occasion when I've been in Y, the CSD has discreetly stopped by to ask if I wanted a drink bringing from up front. It's a nice touch, doesn't really cost the airline anything, and if it's done carefully to avoid too much attention from other passengers it's a fantastic way to reward loyalty.

Last edited by Farringdon; Feb 4, 2012 at 3:42 am
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Totally agree.

Nothing wrong with doing it at crew's discretion & with discretion/diplomacy. However, they shouldn't make a habit of it IMHO.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Silver VA Red SAS Gold
[QUOTE=JonV;17949569]On returning from a business trip last week, SFO-LHR, I was all the way back in 52B and during the first hour of the flight I was approached by two separate members of staff who greeted me by name, introduced themselves, etc. The second was a nice lady who offered champagne, which I gladly accepted. Now, I'm fairly fresh to Gold status - this was only my third flight, all in Y - but nothing of this sort occurred on either of the first two. I thought the extra focus on recognizing BAEC members with status was a Mixed Fleet thing, but as far as I know this was not an MF flight. Does this sort of thing happen often?

It happened on two occasions to me as far back as two years ago.

I was travelling in Euro Traveller and asked by a member of the cabin crew if I wanted a drink from the Club bar. I was silver not gold. It didn't happen since.

One a flight to Ibiza last September, again travelling in the Euro Traveller cabin, the Cabin Crew stopped serving drinks to everyone as the flight was really busy and they officialy ran out of drinks to offer. I stopped one cabin crew and asked if I could have a drink from Club bar as I was a silver member. She happily obliged.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
How does someone make Gold with three flights in Economy?

It's takes me at least 8 returns
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by khakilad
How does someone make Gold with three flights in Economy?

It's takes me at least 8 returns
I interpret the poster as saying it was only their third flight as a gold...

Now, I'm fairly fresh to Gold status - this was only my third flight, all in Y

BAH
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Blue, Flyingblue Explorer
2 weeks ago i flew air france, in economy with NO STATUS, and they offered me champagne, and even gave me an extra bottle of wine to keep. They were very polite and it was great! I wouldnt expect that on BA though lol
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
As usual with most of the key issues of the day the indomitable Alex has something to say!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.