Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use of Kindle on BA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:36 am

I think the purser may have made a bad start in questioning the original "standby" mode of a kindle. I would agree that "you are taking the piss now" is an inappropriate comment
(a)due to the language that some may be offended by; and
(b) since the OP was not "abusing policy / rules" on take-off - it was only the purser's lack of knowledge that made him/her question Kindle standby. So this is not a repeat offence.

Nonetheless, I feel a reprimand is appropriate, since the OP deliberately disobeyed a direct and valid order of cabin crew. While it may not be understandable that electronics must be switched off, and other countries may operate differently, those are the CAA rules.

The parting shot from the cabin crew was unnecessary. I'm sure many passengers fail to say goodbye, either from tiredness, thinking about other stuff.

That said, maybe the "or not" was not directed at the OP, but some other situation...I have in the past had to explain myself when a colleague has overheard something not directed at them and thought I was being rude (the shocked look is a giveaway)
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The purser is following the CAA guidelines which legally require cabin crew to ensure all non-approved electrical devices are turned off. It is his job to enforce that, not grant exceptions.
Actually, their job is to notify passengers of the CAA regulation. If the passenger refuses to comply then they can be reported for not doing so. Other than that crew can't insist or enforce the regulation
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Yes I admit I was a naughty boy today but surely nthere is a need for a proper ruling regarding the use of E-Book readers on flights.

They are as harmless as any other book really.

As to the attitude shown by the Cabin Crew on the flight I admit I was shocked in the first instance and angered by the reinforcement of this on disembarking.

If I behaved in such a manner I would be sacked.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heckenhocker

That said, maybe the "or not" was not directed at the OP, but some other situation...I have in the past had to explain myself when a colleague has overheard something not directed at them and thought I was being rude (the shocked look is a giveaway)
It was directed at me. No question.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by baggageinhall
This doesn't mean the customer is always right, that the customer can get their own way regardless or that BA must always do what the customer wants.
In all honesty I wish they'd never brought out the "To Fly To Serve". The slightest little thing (ie. 5 minute delay in boarding) often results in people making negative comments which are, honestly, unnecessary.

As for crew being sacked, I'm afraid there are times when firmness is required with passengers. On a safety issue such as this which the crew are required, by law, to enforce then this would not happen. In fact the opposite could apply.

Why are BA staff always to blame when a passenger doesn't do as they've been asked? (Not meaning the OP specifically here)
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by peterrabbit
You don't need to get the logic. You just need to follow the rule. JFDI.

Maybe the rule needs to be updated to account for newer technology, but the line gets grey with electrical devices. Maybe a kindle is really harmless, but what about an iPad in Airplane mode? Do the crew then need to check what you have enabled? Just saying no to all electrical devices as the CAA regulations say is what's currently been decided on.
You're not in the armed forces are you?

It's everyone's duty to question and challenge rules and laws that have no modern reference. I'm not making a statement about complying I'm asking the question of whether the rule is valid in today's world. If we just blindly follow rules without asking of their relevance we are mere sheep and deserve everything we get.

In the US FAA regs allow the use of phones on taxi to stand. In the UK that is still outlawed by the CAA. Clearly opinion differs and therefore it os only right to ask if other rules need updating

Baaaaaa

Originally Posted by smokie36
Yes I admit I was a naughty boy today but surely nthere is a need for a proper ruling regarding the use of E-Book readers on flights.

They are as harmless as any other book really.
I (as I'm sure other people do) completely agree. But, there's no such a ruling yet, so I'm afraid we have to (and should IMO) comply.

As to the attitude shown by the Cabin Crew on the flight I admit I was shocked in the first instance and angered by the reinforcement of this on disembarking.

If I behaved in such a manner I would be sacked.
If you feel strongly about it, you should definitely write in and complain.
Suspended

Programs: BA Exec Club, EK Skywards, Hilton Hhonors. No Mucci, but have a far more useful Gucci (wallet).
As this is hopefully the only serious thread I'll make on this forum I'd like to start by reminding you of a couple of things.

"Please turn off your electrical items during take off and landing"

"To fly to serve"

I travelled today on the delayed LGW-JER flight in CE.

While we were grounded waiting for the go ahead I was using my Kindle.

Before take off the purser asked me to switch off the device which I complied with, turning it into standby mode.

He then queried this as he clearly thought I hadn't switched it off properly. I told him it was as switched off as it could be and he wandered off grumbling about checking on that.

A few minutes after take off I turned my Kindle back on and continued reading until about ten minutes before landing when his female cabin crew member told me to switch it off.

Of course I complied with their request for the rest of the flight.

But here is the rub for me...although I had been abused by the cabin crew already, on leaving the plane the female cabin crew member was saying "Goodbye" to all the passengers and I chose to ignore this as I didn't want to get into an argument angry as I was she added "Or not" as I passed down the stairs.

There was no need for such incendiary nonsense and quite frankly the attitude of this crew was appalling.

So can someone please tell me what BA's policy is regarding the use of Kindle's onboard is because I've never had a problem using one before with any other airline. Oh and yes I have the 3G function switched off during flight.
First off please listen to the crew safety instructions. I am not a fan of the BA cabin crew, but if safety issues are involved, everyone becomes nervous about the consequences.

Second, the crew was certainly not professional. You could tell them what you exactly you would like them to do, but seeing it is UK-UK flight, maybe that was not a good idea. If it were a UK to south america or UK to asia flight, you can tell them what you want and get away with it. The police there are not so hung up on what was said between a foreign person and a foreign airline. They want some dinero and you could be in your hotel for evening drinks.

But then again, we come back to the point: what started it? Security issue and your refusal to obey security instructions. I think that you will find your stand a solitary one.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:46 am
MzG

As crew, trust me, it can be irritating to say the least when people don't comply with our request to switch off all electronic devices. It is part of our cabin secure, an important part of our job, and it has to be done. As someone already mentioned, who are we to know what is enabled on all these different devices, and even if we knew how to check, we wouldn't have time. Please, just do as requested, it really is only a few minutes of your life.

I have no idea whether there is a chance it could affect the aircraft, but what I will say is that my phone rang, which was probably about twelve feet from the TV, and the TV changed channel! It has only happened the once, but once on an aircraft would be too often.

If you were indeed spoken to in that manner, then it is very clearly wrong. I am guessing after a sector or two and a few refusals to comply with a request, the crew get annoyed. No excuse, I know, but I've been there and know what it's like. I've even been called a f***ing b*tch for asking someone to switch off a phone.

As someone already mentioned, incidents like this are very often flight reported, in case of any comeback later.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:49 am

"Before take off the purser asked me to switch off the device which I complied with, turning it into standby mode.

He then queried this as he clearly thought I hadn't switched it off properly. I told him it was as switched off as it could"

Bit of a porkie. Kindles have a stand-by mode but they can easily be fully turned off.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WhitePlains
First off please listen to the crew safety instructions. I am not a fan of the BA cabin crew, but if safety issues are involved, everyone becomes nervous about the consequences.

Second, the crew was certainly not professional. You could tell them what you exactly you would like them to do, but seeing it is UK-UK flight, maybe that was not a good idea. If it were a UK to south america or UK to asia flight, you can tell them what you want and get away with it. The police there are not so hung up on what was said between a foreign person and a foreign airline. They want some dinero and you could be in your hotel for evening drinks.

But then again, we come back to the point: what started it? Security issue and your refusal to obey security instructions. I think that you will find your stand a solitary one.
I'm not trying to make a stand. Read my initial post. I had no idea the purser would have attacked me in this way. I've used Kindle on lots of airlines without incident or comment in the past.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skwerl
"Before take off the purser asked me to switch off the device which I complied with, turning it into standby mode.

He then queried this as he clearly thought I hadn't switched it off properly. I told him it was as switched off as it could"

Bit of a porkie. Kindles have a stand-by mode but they can easily be fully turned off.
You got me here. I flick the switch on the bottom and it goes into standby. No idea how to turn it off fully.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Exec Club, EK Skywards, Hilton Hhonors. No Mucci, but have a far more useful Gucci (wallet).
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
So, before this turns into the Sunday night bunfight can I just ask everyone to abide by the Flyertalk Rules.

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php

Discuss the point and not the person please.

Swanhunter
Moderator, BAEC

I like the rhyming! (No sarcasm intended).
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:54 am

You got me here. I flick the switch on the bottom and it goes into standby. No idea how to turn it off fully.
press and hold, my friend
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MzG

As someone already mentioned, incidents like this are very often flight reported, in case of any comeback later.
Then I shall report it. If only to see if the purser mentioned saying "You really are taking the piss now" .

Unbelievable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.