Use of Kindle on BA

Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: MUCCI -- What else matters?
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Its probably the same (I don't have it here to try).

From your video, it looks like there is a definite 1 second or so pause between you sliding the button and the screen turning on. Is it the same when its in sleep mode as opposed to being off?
Exactly the same in "sleep mode" (remember I maintain that the two are the same thing, don't think you can get me to agree with you by cleverly tricking me into accepting your terminology!) ;-).

It's about the same short pause as there is when turning pages - the cost of updating the e-ink display. The newer kindles only have this once every eight page turns or something, mine is older :-(
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by SimonsMiles
Exactly the same in "sleep mode" (remember I maintain that the two are the same thing, don't think you can get me to agree with you by cleverly tricking me into accepting your terminology!) ;-).

I'm going to be really sad and try this when i get home. Unless you want to upload another video?

It's about the same short pause as there is when turning pages - the cost of updating the e-ink display. The newer kindles only have this once every eight page turns or something, mine is older :-(
But, back on topic, I guess the issue is, as others have stated, how are cabin crew to know this? And now with the existence Kindle Fire, which is more of a "traditional" tablet device in its power consumption (and, I assume, leakage), its not even as if the newer the device, the less likely it is to interfere.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
I know Littlegirl has responded to this above, but my understanding is that as well as possible interference with flight deck systems, passengers must be fully aware for take off and landing as these are the most critical times of a flight.

Doesn't this also come into consideration?
So High Life to be distributed only when in cruise and collected before landing? Hard back books banned and free thought (not to mention daydreaming) to be suspended except in cruise?

Given that crossing he road is more dangerous than flying I suggest we ban electronic goods within 100 metres of pedestrian crossings....

I just hope these threads get archived for future historians.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Poxball
So High Life to be distributed only when in cruise and collected before landing? Hard back books banned and free thought ... to be suspended except in cruise?
A read of this thread would indicate that such a suggestion does have its merits...
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Given that crossing he road is more dangerous than flying I suggest we ban electronic goods within 100 metres of pedestrian crossings....
Leaving the nonsense from your post aside, this part is a really good idea. I saw two people bash into each other the other day. Both were paying all their attention to their smartphones and walked straight into each other.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
Leaving the nonsense from your post aside, this part is a really good idea. I saw two people bash into each other the other day. Both were paying all their attention to their smartphones and walked straight into each other.
A tad perjorative especally given your agreement with irony perhaps?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:34 am

A tad perjorative especally given your agreement with irony perhaps?
Just a tad.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I suppose this is possible. Here is a video of how mine works.
http://v5.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=fwktug&s=5
Just like mine .. and just like hers. That's the way they work. ^

Of course if you are someone demanding instant gratification, never RTFM, and can't wait for the 3-4 seconds for it to turn off properly I guess it's going to be a life in standby mode.

Can we start talking about BA's execrable coffee instead? Or my wife's new iPad?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Can we start talking about BA's execrable coffee instead? Or my wife's new iPad?
How long does it take to turn off and on, or does it not have an off button?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:16 am

The coffee beats AA's miserable offering.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
So High Life to be distributed only when in cruise and collected before landing? Hard back books banned and free thought (not to mention daydreaming) to be suspended except in cruise?

But of course - makes all the sense in the world.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paralytic
How long does it take to turn off and on, or does it not have an off button?
Her iPad is effectively instant, as is my iPod Touch. They both have an "OFF" button.

The "OFF" facility is the only negative I have about Kindle ... tedious and tiresome, as it takes about 4 seconds of my life to achieve it. I have fewer seconds remaining than most of you, so these things matter to me quite a lot.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfmad
The coffee beats AA's miserable offering.
I would hate to do a comparative test, although I accept that "coffee" and "America" should never be uttered in the same sentence. I suspect the Surgeon General made a pronouncement of the subject once.

There was/is a diner in North Little Rock which I used to frequent. The staff couldn't understand why I didn't want a fresh brew of 'brown water' instead of the well-evaporated pot that actually approached coffee flavour. I still have a mug from that diner, some 20 years ago [purchased, not stolen]. Completely pristine ... unlike my Kentucky State Police one which is now almost uniformly grey
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lite
I think it's terribly sad that you've had one bad experience with a Purser and you've decided to tar all cabin crew with the same brush, not least because you weren't complying with crew member instructions in the first place.

My understanding of my job, under CAA regulations and further adapted by British Airways, is that as part of my cabin secure, I need to check that electrical equipment such as laptop computers, video games, MP3 players,
CD players and PDAs are switched off. It really ought not to be a surprise considering it's mentioned in the safety video and various announcements.

I'm not apologising for the very rude and direct way in which you were spoken to, but for everyone's sake, isn't it just easier and more pleasant to comply with crew members' instructions? My understanding, and I'm a pretty laid-back character, of Kindles are that they are battery powered, but can have things downloaded onto them, just like a phone. As we've not been taught any differently (ie, it's just like a book but not made out of paper) it comes under "electrical equipment," so I'm going to ask you to switch it off for those "critical phases."

I hope that helps, and you get to fly with some of my truly wonderful colleagues very soon.
Thanks for this sensible post.

I would like to point out that the majority of my flights in recent years have been with Middle Eastern or Asian airlines where evidently such rules are not followed so strictly.

The cabin crew upset me yesterday and that is certainly reflected in some of my posts.

I'm not tarring all BA's crew either, I guess I just got a purser who was having a bad moment, or so I would prefer to think on reflection.

I'll comply with this regulation on future BA flights even though I do think it unnecessary.

Thanks for all the replies for good or bad. Some excellent info there. ^
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Her iPad is effectively instant, as is my iPod Touch. They both have an "OFF" button.
The instant off button is only for standby Shirley? You still have to press and hold to turn it off?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.