Search

I didn't expect rose petals....but

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:46 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by tezzer
Ok, I'll bite.

The welcome, in my opinion was perhaps well meant, but as a very Frequent flier I found it a little patronising, being told what to expect as it was my first time in a Club cabin. As someone who fortunately or otherwise travels in the premium cabins of major airlines on a virtually weekly basis, I knew what to expect, thank you. BA know what programmes I am in, and at what level, it does not take Sherlock Holmes to figure out that I fly "a bit". Had the, very polite, lady told me to expect mediocre service, and a general air of disdain from the CC, it would have been nearer the mark, but I digress.

As for boarding, as explained, as soon as the screen said "boarding" I was on my toes. By the time I had gone from the 4th floor to the 3rd, it was "last call", and by the time I was a minute from the gate, it was "gate closing". Hussein Bolt couldn't have made it to the priority boarding if he had been having a coke in the lounge. Although to be honest, he was more likely to be flying Virgin Upper class than BA Club World.

A bloke with this level of humour, irony and balance cannot be lost.

Stay around - your forum needs you!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver
BA know what programmes I am in, and at what level, it does not take Sherlock Holmes to figure out that I fly "a bit".
As I said above, i do appreciate you probably had one of BA's less customer-focused crews, but how does BA know what other airlines you are in, and what status you have with them?

I doubt they do, and to them, it very likely will have looked like you had never flown with BA before (since records from 15 years ago may not be on the system) and it was your first time in CW. I doubt the staff member knew you were a frequent flyer and the information provided to her probably indicated the complete opposite.

Indeed, it was your first time in the current BA CW cabin, as the current generation was not around 15 years ago. What was business class like back then - was it even called Club World (sorry, don't know when the first-gen flat beds came in).

Please do report back on your return flight and I hope you get better service there.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA bronze
Ok, I'll bite.

The welcome, in my opinion was perhaps well meant, but as a very Frequent flier I found it a little patronising, being told what to expect as it was my first time in a Club cabin. As someone who fortunately or otherwise travels in the premium cabins of major airlines on a virtually weekly basis, I knew what to expect, thank you. BA know what programmes I am in, and at what level, it does not take Sherlock Holmes to figure out that I fly "a bit". Had the, very polite, lady told me to expect mediocre service, and a general air of disdain from the CC, it would have been nearer the mark, but I digress.

As for boarding, as explained, as soon as the screen said "boarding" I was on my toes. By the time I had gone from the 4th floor to the 3rd, it was "last call", and by the time I was a minute from the gate, it was "gate closing". Hussein Bolt couldn't have made it to the priority boarding if he had been having a coke in the lounge. Although to be honest, he was more likely to be flying Virgin Upper class than BA Club World.
Superb ^

Stick around!

Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uk1

A bloke with this level of humour, irony and balance cannot be lost.

Stay around - your forum needs you!
Hear, hear ^^^

Also, please do continue to share your experiences, it enriches the experience for all(and apart from that, I'd point to you to my signature line)
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Ok, I'll bite.

Thank you.

BA obviously do know that you fly a bit if you're a bronze member, but as you say they've not been long haul flights and your welcome was to BA Club WORLD which is BA's long haul business product. With all respect if you've not flown BA long haul for a while how would BA know that you used to fly with them 15 or so years ago?

Also BA would not know any other FF programmes you're a member of as this information is not available to us. So they would only know you "fly a bit" short haul, not that you fly long haul with BA. So it really is not the fault of the staff that they were doing their job in welcoming you to a long haul CW flight. They were trying to make you feel special and it's sad that it had the opposite effect with you. Hence why you MUST complain if you're offended by it.

As for boarding, unfortunately we have no control over the "boarding", "flight closing" signs that are shown on the screens (there is no "last call" sign). This is done by the airport authority who go on departure times they have rather than actual word from the TRM.

As an experienced long haul traveller though I'm surprised you didn't wait a little to enjoy some more lounge time, though perhaps not flying BA recently you were unsure of the boarding process.

As for your comment about Usain (who I presume you mean) Bolt you're very much incorrect. He flies with us all the time and many of us have dealt with him in the past. He's a charming man who loves spending time with the staff and is always offering to take pictures with us or passengers.
Jamaica and BA have a long history and there's quite a fondness for BA in Jamaica (I know as I've lived there). Many Jamaicans prefer to fly BA because of that link, but I think VS attracts more tourists than returning residents on their flights.

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Jan 22, 2012 at 1:14 pm
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I was paged by my full name to attend the desk, where a nice lady welcomed me to my first trip in the CW cabin. Actually, I used to use it every month in the dim and distant past, but don;t let that stop you being patronising.
Gatwick is a leisure-orientated airport, and as such airlines (not just BA) have a lot of pax who may not have flown in their premium cabins before. The lady in the lounge was quite clearly being welcoming, and I think you just took the wrong attitude to her welcome. Why would she go to the effort of checking the system, paging you, and welcoming you to CW, if her aim was to be 'patronising'?

I got to the gate, and joined the queue of WT passengers, which went from the entrance to the airbridge to the plane door, about 10 minutes.
BA do have Fast Track lines in place at all gates, but I agree that they could be better signposted/staffed.

The welcome onboard was a cool affair, and I have to say I was completely unimpressed with the service throughout the flight. Anything I wanted, I had to virtually beg for, I asked for a pen, to fill in the immigration form for Jamaica, and a short sharp "no" was all I got, not "I'll see if I can find you one" or any offer of assistance, just a plain "no".
Unfortunately BA cabin crew can be quite variable (as with many other airlines). Gatwick crew tend to get better reviews than their LHR counterparts, however. What else, besides a lack of a pen, troubled you?

Ok, I didn't expect to be waited on hand and foot, that only happens in EK's first cabin with which I am very familiar, but this was a BIG let down.
Actually, excellent service often happens in BA's First cabin too, and that of many other airlines - CX and SQ spring to mind as stand-outs.

The seating didn't work for me either, a rearward facing window seat was a bit odd, but the nick-nack drawer at floor level is a right pain if you actually want to get something if as in my case you are less than fit and agile.
Why did you choose a rearward facing seat? That is personal preference though, and you were aware that BA had a backwards-forwards configuration in CW when you booked (presumably). I agree about the drawer though - it's in a silly place.

I wouldn't judge BA too much based on one experience. I could quite easily try EK for the first time, and dislike it, but you would perhaps argue I should fly them more often to gain a representative sample.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Genius1
BA do have Fast Track lines in place at all gates, but I agree that they could be better signposted/staffed.
Yes but the OP came down after boarding had started and WT boarding by seat row number will have commenced by then. Hence the queue in the jetty as passengers wait to board.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

A thoroughly acceptable experience

As somone who hasn't used BA in a very long time, apart from 1 economy return to Bermuda, I had the chance to fly in the New Club World cabin of a 777-200 (3 class) from Gatwick to Kingston this week.

Imagine my shock and horror as a newbie to find dedicated check in desks away from the people travelling in lesser cabins.

My sense of well being was futher enhanced by being able to use the "Gatwick Premium" security line, with only 1 other personin the line in front of me.

Having found the lounge, I was overwhelmed to be summonsed to the front desk, by name no less, and given a pre flight briefing as to what to expect and welcomed to "the club". Wow, I mean, WOW, they knew it was my first time, and I was treated gently and made to feel special, like all "first timers " should be, I was going to use the term virgin, but that may cause offence, and indeed confusion in the airline business.

After a very pleasant stay, in the lounge, I was given the opportunity to work off any calories that I may have inadvetantly put on, but taking part in the 500 metre dash, to the now closing gate, before givine a most welcome to get my breath back, by standing in the queue to board the lane.

Having been shown (from the door) where the right hand side of the aircraft was, I found my cocoon, sorry, seat, and installed myself. Lovely.

After take off, I was offered drinkies, a bag of nuts, and soon, a 3 course meal, washed down with wine and water.

Presumably, for fear I might draw on the walls, or even injure myself or those around me my request for a sharp implement, to whit a pen, was refused point blank. In retrospect, I can see that this might have been a security related issue, after all, giving peple unused to air travel, and who have had a drink from the complimentary bar a pen could be seen, in these litigatous times foolhardy. Thanks for looking out for me.
After being left alone to sleep for the remainder of the flight, I barely noticed the cabin crew, we arrived at our destination, no fuss, no faeces.

Well done BA, the "to fly to serve" motto was carried out in an impeccable manner. I will be back, Friday night next week if your listening.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
APOLOGIST !!!!

I demand a recount !!!!

BAH
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Cop out ! I posted a new and unrelated thread only to have it merged !

I was interested to see what response a different slant would have !
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:16 pm
uk1
Suspended

Rarely has an OP so much been the worst person to pick on!

This has been the best and most amusing thread for yonks!

Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver

I'm not sure if that was your intent from the outset (its not clear if one or both of your reported experiences were made up), but its not news to regulars here that whilst there is a large variance in the quality of service provided by BA cabin crew, that is probably dwarfed by the variance in reactions by customers to said service. We've had two people in the same cabin on the same flight giving two completely different experiences (though in that case I personally suspected the second one was made up).
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by uk1
Rarely has an OP so much been the worst person to pick on!

This has been the best and most amusing thread for yonks!

Oh yes!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
I was thinking apologist too, but BAH Bolt beat me too it.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC

Rather than wasting your time doing this sort of thing which is bound to be sat upon by the moderators, why don't you come back and post after your return flight? I for one will be interested to read your conclusions. I won't even ask that you board with an open mind as someone who has suffered a bad experience on an outbound flight might be justified in having low expectations of the inbound... I'd be interested to know if BA manage to win you back.

If they don't then there are plenty of other airlines out there, as you know

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.