Wiki Posts
Search

I didn't expect rose petals....but

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:01 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by tezzer
I HAD a pen, unfortunately, at that time it was in my paltop bag, which was in the overhead locker.

It was a simole request, and it wasn't that she didn't have one, it was the simple "NO" response, dismissed and forgotten in an instant. I'm sorry, it's poor service, and in my opinion, darned right rude !
As a person who has flown as much as you, you will know that when things start to go wrong they always seem to form an orderly course of events because - and not in any way trivialising any individual thing you said in your OP - but once they go wrong it's natural we become in an increasing state of dissapointment and negative anticipation. It's natural.

Shouldn't have happened. I fly a lot less than you but my BA experience has been almost the exact opposite and shared by many others. I'd put this down to a bad experience and give it another shot. At least next time you won't be called up to the desk ......
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
BA has a system in place where we proactively contact a customer to welcome them onboard and check if there are aware of what is available to them on that flight in that cabin.
We will also speak to them if they have reached a new tier level in the Executive Club or if the system shows that they flew a lot with us in the past and haven’t flown with us for a while.
Like everything it depends on perception and also how a message is delivered, when we speak to these customers we give any feedback the customer gives us back to BA.
I personally have always found that my customer’s appreciate these welcomes and that they feel that BA cares about them.
Please don’t write us off after one flight, you say that you want to like BA so please have an open mind for your return journey.
I hope that you enjoy your time in Jamaica and that your return journey is better for you.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It sounds like the OP was determined to have a miserable flight for his Ł1000, either before or after the "special welcome" pushed him over the edge.

There could be a million reasons why the crewmember didn't offer her pen - maybe she didn't hear the question, maybe she was in the middle of running an important errand, maybe she had just been asked 10 times for a pen, who knows? I'm quite sure that a trip to the galley and a courteous "excuse me, could I please borrow someone's pen" would have sufficed. Instead of writing on here all about it.
HIDDY likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 22, 2012 at 12:20 pm Reason: Clean up response to content removed by mod team
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Priority boarding IS done for all F, CW and gold and silver passengers. They are also invited to board at their leisure.

However, we cannot hold back 200+ passengers in WT and WT+ until all the CW and F passengers get down from the lounge. If we did then the aircraft would be extensively delayed every day.

From the sounds of things you got down to the gate after priority boarding had been offered, and by the time you got there regular boarding had commenced. Unfortunately this is sometimes the case.

Jenbel - I note your comment "It's a shame that someone who flies such a lot found that BA was not as good an experience as on airlines he flies more often" Did you not see that the OP said he's not flown with BA for around 15 years or so? Maybe it used to be often then, but not so much these days.
Or perhaps just a separate queue/line at the gate - such as BA at Heathrow now employ? Seems to work well there. Passengers can then truly board at their leisure...

Palmer
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
You know what? Tezzer's thread here got me thinking.
What service are CW CC supposed to deliver?

In F, I know you can ask for meals / drinks when you want; and presumably pens by the colour.
But CW? Isn't "service" by time and formula?

A pet peeve of mine is looking at my crockery after finishing eating. But in CW there seems to be a set time-line for collection. A good crew (member) will remove crockery ahead of time, but normal service is it sits there a while.

Just wondering if the OP saw 'routine' CW service, but without any warmth; as opposed to bad CW service. Begging the question if CW service is now a notch below KLM and the likes?
I would encourage the OP to make this point in any comms to BA CR, if I'm reading it right.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
As someone said up-thread, this just sounds like a 'bad service' flight. They happen, though very rarely in my experience.

For someone who flies so much I really think the OP is being over-sensitive about the welcome to his first BA CW flight. Just see it as a nice gesture and don't take it personally. Let's face it, if the OP's last BA business class flight was fifteen years ago that would have put him in the old cradle seat, which wasn't BA CW as we know it now anyway.

I'm down in EBB now and flew CW down last Friday. It was a stand-out flight and a ba.com/welldone was filed for the CSD Jane as soon as I arrived at my hotel here. On exiting the 'plane I told her that she was a credit to the airline. It was an absolute pleasure to fly with her and her crew, and the old 767 with the 1st generation seating didn't matter a jot (I quite like old CW anyway and don't need the extra room in NCW). The welcome on board was warm from the outset and there was a pen when I needed one for the Ugandan immigration form... in fact she had a handful of them when handing out the forms which I thought was a jolly nice touch. The food was decent and the wines about as good as can be expected for a J cabin. IFE worked just fine and sleep came easily.

I've flown KLM, Qatar, Kenya and Ethiopian J down here over the last year and if the fares were always as competitive with BA then BA would win hands down on the basis of this flight alone (it's a pity they are not always competitive and that I don't have access to a corporate deal )

This CSD reminded me just how good BA is when the team is led by someone who is really proud of their job (her crew were great too, it's just that she did hog the limelight ... those of you who might know her won't be surprised!) and the very prominent person I was flying with in 1J was blown away by BA on this occasion... that will do no harm to the airline given the circles he moves in.

That said, sorry the OP had a bad experience. I would give BA another try given you get those experiences on every airline apart from select Asian carriers that are so damn consistent they bore me to death...
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Palmer
Or perhaps just a separate queue/line at the gate - such as BA at Heathrow now employ? Seems to work well there. Passengers can then truly board at their leisure...

Palmer
Unfortunately there is insufficient space at the gates/jetties at LGW to allow this.

LHR have different set up for boarding, and (I believe) they also have some gates with two jetties onto the aircraft.

LGW is also about to lose a number of gates for a few years due to refurbishment.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

I was not determined to have a bad flight, at all. I WANTED to enjoy the experience.

And as for the CC not hearing my question, she did, and responded with a curt "no".

Every day is a school day, and one thing I have learned today is not to criticiseBA, in here at least !
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by uk1
Seems a bit harsh.

I think he made a few other points as well ...didn't he? Non-existent service and having to beg for everything? You seem overly selective and defensive, and perhaps you are seeing unjustified attacks on BA in an otherwise balanced complaint about a less than premium experience?

That was all it seems to me he was saying.It seems a shame to simply pick the easily targetable complaint and ignore the core one. Poor service on the flight.
I agree.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Every day is a school day, and one thing I have learned today is not to criticiseBA, in here at least !
Don't let anyone here put you off posting. This place would be dull as ditch water if we didn't have to put up a robust defence occasionally... it's character-building, like those school days you referred to.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:27 pm

I was not determined to have a bad flight, at all. I WANTED to enjoy the experience.

And as for the CC not hearing my question, she did, and responded with a curt "no".

[snip]

Please keep posting your comments on future BA fights - fairly often BA do not meet the levels of expectation that their marketing blurb describes.

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 22, 2012 at 12:42 pm Reason: See my note in post 74, below
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Hi Tezzer
I've tried to explain the policy about the welcome and the boarding procedure - both issues which you were unhappy with. But so far I've not seen you comment about those.

Now that they've been explained I'd be interested to know if your thoughts have changed on those particular aspects of service. Thanks

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Jan 22, 2012 at 12:39 pm
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?

Yes, that's entirely the point of it

Sorry you've been on the receiving end of it when making an entirely legitimate observation.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:38 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Folks,

I wish to make it clear, this thread is not the place to express your views on the dynamics of FT and the BA forum. So please treat this as one further and final request to stick to the topic.

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Hi Tezzer
I've tried to explain the policy about the welcome and the boarding procedure - both issues which you were unhappy with. But so far I've not seen you comment about those.

Now that they've been explained I'd be interested to know if your thoughts have changed on those particular aspects of service. Thanks
Ok, I'll bite.

The welcome, in my opinion was perhaps well meant, but as a very Frequent flier I found it a little patronising, being told what to expect as it was my first time in a Club cabin. As someone who fortunately or otherwise travels in the premium cabins of major airlines on a virtually weekly basis, I knew what to expect, thank you. BA know what programmes I am in, and at what level, it does not take Sherlock Holmes to figure out that I fly "a bit". Had the, very polite, lady told me to expect mediocre service, and a general air of disdain from the CC, it would have been nearer the mark, but I digress.

As for boarding, as explained, as soon as the screen said "boarding" I was on my toes. By the time I had gone from the 4th floor to the 3rd, it was "last call", and by the time I was a minute from the gate, it was "gate closing". Hussein Bolt couldn't have made it to the priority boarding if he had been having a coke in the lounge. Although to be honest, he was more likely to be flying Virgin Upper class than BA Club World.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.