Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ba(Hons) Dissertation research - 2 Minutes of your time is needed please!

Ba(Hons) Dissertation research - 2 Minutes of your time is needed please!

Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS, LH, Sixt Platinum
Question Ba(Hons) Dissertation research - 2 Minutes of your time is needed please!

Dear All,

I have been a long time lurker since nearly 2 years now, which has deepened my interest in the aviation industry, especially in BA of course
Due to my great interest in the airline industry, I have decided to base my Bachelor Dissertation around this topic.
In brief my Thesis question is : What affects the consumer purchasing decision when flying short haul.

The aim of my research is to set up a comparative study, comparing the average flyer to a frequent flyer. As I have mainly been lurking around the BA forum, I have decided to kindly ask all fellow BA Ft's ( all other Ft's are of course also encouraged to participate) to participate in my research!

The questionnaire consists of 18 questions, which are all multiple choice and won't take longer than 2 minutes to complete!

For Leisure Travel, please follow this link:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/schmi...ation_research

For Business related Travel, please follow this link:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/schmi...businesstravel

Many thanks in advance for your help

On a side note - has anyone else applied for the BA Leadership graduate programme? If yes, how long did it take for them to contact you?

Last edited by schmidlin88; Jan 18, 2012 at 2:18 pm
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:07 pm

Good luck with your thesis, schmidlin88!

Once your data collection and thesis writing is completed, it would be an excellent read - I would encourage you to post a copy here!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:09 pm
Ambassador

Done.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:33 pm
uk1
Suspended

Hi,

May I (helpfully I hope!) ask whether you are interested in both business AND leisure travel decisions?

Although you refer to "comparing the average flyer to a frequent flyer" you use the word "consumer" which in research terms might imply specifically to many "non-business". But your last question specifically asks about business travel and I'm not sure that is clear in your post as with the exception of the last question your questionnaire seems suitable more for leisure travellers as it ignores the influence of corporate policy and arrangements for employee business travellers.

Most FT'ers are I believe predomently business travellers. If you are interested in those as well, I'm not clear how you will find how much influence they have on their own business related travel decisions and how their business travel will influence their leisure travel.

I mean to be helpful but a few of your questions may not provide helpful information to you. In fact a question which asks people to put in order ie highest influence is "1" etc ... what MOST influences them is going to tell you an awful lot more than the individual questions. How will you work out which influences travellers most? Also you cannot ask two questions in one eg "Availability of discounts and 'air miles' is important for me". How would you know whether it is discounts or airmiles that they are rating - which is pretty important to differentiate? And do you mean "discounts" or as I think you mean "lowest price"?

There are a number of issues with your questions ...... happy to help if you want ... just post!

I hope that helps.

Good luck with your course.

Last edited by uk1; Jan 18, 2012 at 1:44 pm
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Completed! Best of luck with your dissertation. ^

The BA Leaders for Business Program will be probably get back to you in a few weeks. The first stage (if successful at online application) will be online verbal and numerical reasoning tests by SHL.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Done also

Good luck
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Done and all the best with your studies
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:53 pm
Used to be BAWatersideGuy

Programs: BAEC Blue, El Al Matmid, Amex Plat, PP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CX Gold, C.Carlson Gold, Hertz/Avis
Done!

Best of luck with the degree. What is the degree actually in? I assume it is an undergrad degree since you say BA (Hons) but then you talk about a "thesis", which I thought were for PhDs? I assume it is some form of Finance or Business degree given your dissertation topic?

Anyway - wish you luck and hope you gather some useful info. FTers are full of gems!

In terms of the BA LfB (Leaders for Business) programme, I can tell you from encountering and working with some of the grads on the programme that they get a fantastic exposure to the business and are privy to some premium experiences (trips/ tours of certain ops .etc) that other veteran staff members have never enjoyed. I would say they are a very bright bunch on the whole.

If it is the Finance LfB programme you are applying for I think this really does set you up for speedy progression and good things in the business. Both the finance lfb grads in my department are very switched on and really enjoying the rotation programme. This also has the advantage of you being sponsored to take any professional finance qualifications that might further your career (ACCA/ CIMA).

Let me know if you want to ask anything re. working at BA or anything else - feel free to PM me ^
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:07 pm

Done! Good luck with your dissertation
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Done, good luck and share the results.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:23 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

1. How old are you?

How old are you?

Younger than 20

21-30

31-40

41-50

Older than 50

Answer - I am 20....so what do I choose!!!!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Good luck with your thesis, schmidlin88!

Once your data collection and thesis writing is completed, it would be an excellent read - I would encourage you to post a copy here!
Done, I would encourage you to post a link to a copy here, a thesis is a bit of a long document far an IBB!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS, LH, Sixt Platinum
Many thanks to everyone who has filled out the questionnaire so far!!

rossmacd - i shall pm you with my findings, which should be completed by April. I might consider posting some parts, however anyone else who would like a full copy please pm me,
BAWatersideGuy - I am currently in the last year of my Bachelor studying Global Business and Management ( sorry about the confusion with dissertation & thesis). I am currently doing an internship at a swiss private bank to find out if the financial sector appeals to me, so I might also apply for the finance lfb programme in the coming 1-2 weeks.

Last year a FT member posted a link regarding the BA Leaders for Business programme 2011, so thanks to FT i stumbled over this promising sounding graduate scheme!!

uk1 - feedback is always appreciated whether positive or negative! My original plan was to post two links - one for leisure travelling and one for business - which I have now rectified. Regarding your suggested question; I was advised by my dissertation supervisor to first research general questions covering a wide range, then after evaluating going into detail.

P.S. any job offers out there ( preferably with some travelling ) please PM me :-)
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/Hilton Diamond/IHG Spire
Done!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:44 pm
Used to be BAWatersideGuy

Programs: BAEC Blue, El Al Matmid, Amex Plat, PP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CX Gold, C.Carlson Gold, Hertz/Avis
Originally Posted by schmidlin88
Many thanks to everyone who has filled out the questionnaire so far!!

rossmacd - i shall pm you with my findings, which should be completed by April. I might consider posting some parts, however anyone else who would like a full copy please pm me,
BAWatersideGuy - I am currently in the last year of my Bachelor studying Global Business and Management ( sorry about the confusion with dissertation & thesis). I am currently doing an internship at a swiss private bank to find out if the financial sector appeals to me, so I might also apply for the finance lfb programme in the coming 1-2 weeks.

Last year a FT member posted a link regarding the BA Leaders for Business programme 2011, so thanks to FT i stumbled over this promising sounding graduate scheme!!

uk1 - feedback is always appreciated whether positive or negative! My original plan was to post two links - one for leisure travelling and one for business - which I have now rectified. Regarding your suggested question; I was advised by my dissertation supervisor to first research general questions covering a wide range, then after evaluating going into detail.

P.S. any job offers out there ( preferably with some travelling ) please PM me :-)
Don't base your opinions on the appeal of the finance sector on Swiss banking as this will give you a very limited viewpoint! I gained my ACA (chartered accountancy qual through ICAEW) through a traditional 3 year external audit contract at an accountancy practice. Seeing the variety that the Finance LfBs at BA get - makes me wish I had heard of this scheme when I graduated! I am sure you have researched it but it involves a year in each of 3 different finance areas .e.g. 1 year Group Reporting, 1 year Internal Risk/ Control, 1 year Engineering/ Cargo finance. It really does give a good flavour of things.

If you do decide to go with BA (which hopefully I will convince you to do ) you will learn that BA staff are extremely passionate about the company and brand. There is an unbelievably low rate of staff turnover out of the business. That sort of company and brand loyalty is hard to come by these days. It's a disposable society and many are out there just looking for their next stop-gap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.