FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Perhaps BA should be allowed to fail? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1303883-perhaps-ba-should-allowed-fail.html)

EK029 Jan 18, 2012 9:40 am

Perhaps BA should be allowed to fail?

It's quite clear that no matter what, BA cannot compete against most of the premium carriers of today's world. Perhaps the only true area of strength is the Transatlantic market. But surely it can only be a matter of time before someone else swoops in (EK-style) and erodes BA market share here?

We may have become accustomed to it, but standards at BA are appalling. I consider if a good meal if I 1) have been able to stomach the inflight meal and 2) haven't thrown up as a result of it.

The poor attitudes seem to be entrenched in the airline. So maybe it's best for us all if we let BA go under? Out with the old and in with the new?

BAGoldBoy Jan 18, 2012 9:45 am

You have a choice of who to fly with I guess? If you don't like BA then choose another airline - Simples

EuropeanPete Jan 18, 2012 9:48 am

EK029. That's all very well and good for people who can choose between BA and Emirates, but most flights are not going through the Middle East or Asia - BA is competing against Delta, Air France and Ryanair.

If BA fails, the rest of us are going to have suffer.

Pulley Jan 18, 2012 9:50 am

If you think that's bad try flying AA SAV-DFW or MIA!

LTN Phobia Jan 18, 2012 9:51 am

Originally Posted by EK029 (Post 17837121)
We may have become accustomed to it, but standards at BA are appalling. I consider if a good meal if I 1) have been able to stomach the inflight meal and 2) haven't thrown up as a result of it.

I have never been given food poisoning on BA or any other airline for that matter - must have flown at least 500 sectors in the last 5 years, but I have never had food poisoning.

I am quite a fussy eater in that I would generally not eat something for the sake of it, although sometimes I take it on as a challenge like I did with uncharacteristically tough steak on LX. However, I have not had a meal on BA that I have felt like completely rejecting yet. I do not think there is anything wrong with my taste bud - at least Michelin guide editors appear to agree with my assessments of various restaurants in terms of food and service, if that's anything to go by.

The poor attitudes seem to be entrenched in the airline.
As with almost any large organisations, BA do have some poor staff, but the majority of them do not have a poor attitude. If anything, it's better than some airlines. My experience with BA has been largely OK at least, most of the time pretty good.

I have a few things that I am not at all happy with BA about, for example mass op-up from WT+/WT. However, I take BA's shortcomings because I am quite happy with their pilot training policies - I have a good reason to believe that the standards are pretty good compared to many other airlines. And that, I am extremely fussy about, because I do not wish to spend my money (almost all of my travelling is self-funded and I can choose to give my business to any airline I wish to) with a carrier who I believe to have an inferior safety policy. I don't care how good the service, food, seats etc is, I still would rather put my money to an airline that I believe to be some of the best in the world in terms of safety.

BAHumbug Jan 18, 2012 9:51 am

Suggest the OP might be better off trolling on another part of the forum.

How about Alitalia ? Or Aeroflot ?

BAH

edi-traveller Jan 18, 2012 9:51 am

Elsewhere we are talking about BA being most improved brand, better food, refitted aircraft......

Stez Jan 18, 2012 9:52 am

Perhaps it is best that all of us doesn't share that view that BA should fail. I prefer BA to many carriers, even to Asia.

I don't think other airlines I don't like using should fail, everyone is different and want/expect different things.

It is purely a personal preference about BA (and other airlines).

PanGalactic Jan 18, 2012 9:55 am

-1 :td: boo!

BAHumbug Jan 18, 2012 9:55 am

I found the OP's very first post. How instructive.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17696573-post117.html

Enforced retirement at 35 ? I wonder how old s/he is...

BAH

AJLondon Jan 18, 2012 9:56 am

This thread might be a good test of the recent open letter diktat! ;)

LTN Phobia Jan 18, 2012 9:58 am

Originally Posted by PanGalactic (Post 17837223)
I flew EK once.

I wouldn't do it again if you paid me.

I wouldn't go quite so far to say I wouldn't fly EK again if someone paid me, but I was rerouted by QF onto EK once (as well as having taken 4 sectors prior to that) and EK certainly does not enter my list of favourite carriers.

It was OK, but I would not like to fly with them again without a really good reason (1/3 of the fares that BA charge on a particular flight, perhaps).

uk1 Jan 18, 2012 10:01 am

It's quite clear that no matter what, BA cannot compete against most of the premium carriers of today's world. Perhaps the only true area of strength is the Transatlantic market. But surely it can only be a matter of time before someone else swoops in (EK-style) and erodes BA market share here?

The poor attitudes seem to be entrenched in the airline. So maybe it's best for us all if we let BA go under? Out with the old and in with the new?

1. How many BA flights have you flown?

2. How many of them were "appalling"?

PWOZUK Jan 18, 2012 10:01 am

It's quite clear that no matter what, BA cannot compete against most of the premium carriers of today's world.

So maybe it's best for us all if we let BA go under? Out with the old and in with the new?

Simple answer (for me) is NO!

Paralytic Jan 18, 2012 10:04 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon (Post 17837239)
This thread might be a good test of the recent open letter diktat! ;)

Exactly - its obviously a troll and the thread should be moved to the Naughty Step :)

To the OP, BA are certainly not perfect, but I'd be interested in hearing in what way you think they cannot compete. Is it the soft product, the hard product, the routes, something else?