Wiki Posts
Search

Perhaps BA should be allowed to fail?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Originally Posted by EK029
In the last 6 months? Between 5 to 10.

Of them, I would say 60% were very much below average. Awful meals, inflight crew were borderline unprofessional (it felt like sitting on a bus to Butlins rather than flying on an airline that used to win awards in the past), dirty interiors.
Far be it from me to play the pedant but EK29 60% of flights cannot be below average: 50% can be though. As an EK gold I can say that on the A380 in F on an ultralong haul flight e.g. Lhr-Akl Ek delivers but the j class looks most unpleasant ( bar excepted) and y looks hideous. It is a very inconsistent product.

BA has good staff most of the time and is much more consistent.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by OxonCantab
I would agree with this - it's also the basis of why I say VS is the best thing to have happened for BA's customers, and in the long run, IAG shareholders.
I agree with you re: VS - competition is always healthy.

BAH

(there, see, finally we can agree about something !)
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by EK029
In the last 6 months? Between 5 to 10.

Of them, I would say 60% were very much below average. Awful meals, inflight crew were borderline unprofessional (it felt like sitting on a bus to Butlins rather than flying on an airline that used to win awards in the past), dirty interiors.
I'm failing to understand:

A) What outside force is propping up BA that the OP feels should be excised in order for BA to "fail"; and

B) What this thread has to do with the earning/burning of miles and points, or "maximizing the experience" while flying BA.

Surely, out of "5 or 10" you could just list the flights, then perhaps someone could help identify what lies behind your less-than-average experiences? Wouldn't that be worth the trouble if you're tied to BA due to location?

Which meals did you select that were so wretched? In which class of service on which routes?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Originally Posted by OxonCantab
Folks, could we please evaluate a topic on its own merits rather than on who brought it up?
But who brought it up is entirely relevant. The OP had (until yesterday) a history of one-shot trolling. It's quite sensible to point out that, based on past experience, the creator of a thread may not actually be interested in any rational debate and is simply stirring.

That said, this time EK029 has broken with tradition and is engaging in debate - and that should be respected. My point was to question why a person would make such a habit of complaining about airlines they don't have to use. For instance, I despise Ryanair but haven't flown with them since 2006 so trashing them in an FT FR forum would seem to reflect more on my state of mind than the quality of the airline. In fact, I got my answer: the OP does have to fly BA and would much prefer not to! Wishing it would fail is still, IMHO, somewhat of an over-reaction (they might have to use FR! )

To the OP, and anyone else for that matter, as a matter of gentle, general advice I would suggest that it might help to phrase your initial post slightly differently, if you don't want to be attacked out-of-hand. Opinions are fine, but should be backed up by facts and should, in any event, be justifiable: people will pick holes in them if they are weak, as has been done here (e.g.: a public company being "allowed to fail", "I've taken 5-10 BA flights", "60% were below average" etc.).

In short: read your post twice. If it sounds emotional, you'll probably get that in return.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I have been thinking about this thread, and planned my answer, but when I saw that it went into page 3 decided not to resurrect it.

To the OP, I do not wish any company to fail, I wouldn't be very happy and able to sleep at night knowing that thousands of working men and women are out of a job because the company doesn't meet MY standards. Same as I don't wish you to be out of a job.

Have flown EK several times, probably more than you have flown BA, last time we flew it, my daughter's comment was "yes it is all nice and dandy, but not the service isn't as refined as BA," she flew J class on the 380.

Every person's standards are totally different and though the airlines try to please the most, it can't please everyone.

So, no I don't wish BA or any company to fail. I don't want to see people out of work.

Last edited by Yahillwe; Jan 19, 2012 at 3:10 pm
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:05 am
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
Suggest the OP might be better off trolling on another part of the forum.

How about Alitalia ? Or Aeroflot ?

BAH
it's like flogging dead horses. He may try his luck on LH forum, in no time he will be submerged by waves of manure for daring to doubt the perfect speckless unapprochable German experience
Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:10 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I wonder why Flyertalkers even respond to threads like this. I am not a BA fan and I do not visit this forum too frequently, but even for me it is obvious that the OP hates BA and the more replies there are, the more 'I hate BA' threads the OP starts. And BTW, I do not want ANY airline to go bust...
Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:13 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
RESIST!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TPJ
I wonder why Flyertalkers even respond to threads like this.
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
RESIST!
^

The OP may have some valid reasons not to like BA, or not to fly BA, though the reason for this has not been forthcoming.

So, despite him responding to (selective) questions, I still think the post was intended to provoke rather than to engage and, in my mind, that's trolling.

The old "never wrestle with a pig" proverb springs to mind.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:37 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by Paralytic
So, despite him responding to (selective) questions, I still think the post was intended to provoke rather than to engage and, in my mind, that's trolling.
I agree. That's what moderators are for...

BAH
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

We were rather hoping the OP would return and address some very reasonable questions put to him yesterday.

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
I don't understand.

Could you please explain in more detail:
1) what exactly you mean by "allowed to fail"?
2) who is "we"?
3) which standards do you exactly mean are "appalling"?
4) how do you explain the fact that your experiences are contrary to those who actually fly the airline regularly?
5) what is the purpose of this post?

Happy to debate, once I know what it is precisely we are debating.

If you replaced "BA" with the word "France", and "carrier" with "country", and "inflight meal" with "3-hour long meal" your post might make sense.
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
I'm failing to understand:

A) What outside force is propping up BA that the OP feels should be excised in order for BA to "fail"; and

B) What this thread has to do with the earning/burning of miles and points, or "maximizing the experience" while flying BA.

Surely, out of "5 or 10" you could just list the flights, then perhaps someone could help identify what lies behind your less-than-average experiences? Wouldn't that be worth the trouble if you're tied to BA due to location?

Which meals did you select that were so wretched? In which class of service on which routes?
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well the flaw in this argument is that rarely is BA the only airline on any given route. Even within the UK, most people don't live anywhere near LHR/LGW. Yet when you look at the competition it is difficult to point to any of them doing better than BA in these tough economic times. On the contrary, BA has just swallowed its only real European direct competitor with a significant UK operation, namely BMI. I accept a case can be made for EK (ditto Qatar) in that they are slightly expanding operations in the UK (e.g. the second GLA flight) but their UK market share is not that big. If the competition could wipe the floor, why have they not done so?

More subjectively BA's planes seem fuller than ever in my personal and recent experience.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
So is your argument that BA are already on the slide? Or that they might if some all conquering new airline came along?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:48 am

So, no I don't wish BA or any company to fail. I don't want to see people out of work.
Time for a group hug!

Thank you, Yahillwe, for those kind words - they mean a lot! ^ - particularly as by far and away the vast majority of BA employees do try to give outstanding customer service and contribute towards the company's success and reputation! Words like yours do make us feel valued and help keep us motivated.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:54 am
uk1
Suspended

I think this is a time to reconsider my idea for the "naughty corner".

Not returning should be a qualification.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Gold, QR Silver, HH Diamond
cf Yahillwe, Eightblack and other friends from the EK board, there is an interesting debate to be had on the EK vs BA comparative travel experience, which occasionally crops up on both boards but for some reason attracts few participants.

One of the few sensible insights from this thread shows how little overlap there is between the two pools of travellers . . it always surprises me to encounter posters for whom EK may as well exist on Mars. I am that rare beast that regularly flies both, but when I stop and think for a minute, I cannot remember the last time I spent real money on long-haul J with BA (why? because it is always too expensive), and EK pretty much owns my long haul business thanks to its connectivity from regional UK out-stations. And I say that as someone who is totally pro the BA "taste camp" versus Emirates.

And there's the rub, BA has all but abandoned attracting non-LHR long-haul travellers unwilling to pay a hefty premium for the privilege; although the results show BA is managing its business effectively and I fully respect that this strategy has been vindicated (for now).

The OP accidentally has the bones of a good point (somewhere) in that if an EK popped up out of the blue and ate up the-LHR based BA business travel market, in the same way it's eaten non-LHR market, then BA could well be toast.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by CXBA
it's like flogging dead horses. He may try his luck on LH forum, in no time he will be submerged by waves of manure for daring to doubt the perfect speckless unapprochable German experience
I had to google it: Peinlich.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.