LHR Terminal 3 BA to HEL

Old Jan 17, 12, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
LHR Terminal 3 BA to HEL

After many years flying BA I have a new experience looming ... never flown from terminal 3 before!

What are the BA lounge(s) like in T3? as good as T5?

Whats the lounge situation in HEL?

and while I am on what is the taxi situation on arrival in HEL and rough cost to central Helsinki?

Thanks in anticipation
Old Jan 17, 12, 5:04 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by BAfave View Post
What are the BA lounge(s) like in T3?
Perfectly fine.

They don't have the modern high ceilings of T5, but they are fine and decorated to the same standard.
Personally, I prefer the Galleries Club at T3 to the one at T5.
And I don't mind which Galleries First I use, T3 or T5.

What cabin will you be in and/or what status do you have?
- Keep in mind at T3 you also have options (depending upon time of day and entry requirments) of using the AA and Cathay lounges.
And T3 has 3rd party lounges as well (paid, priortiy pass, etc).

So, I'd generally say it is better served in terms of lounges than T5. While the BA ones are certainly smaller, they are perfectly fine and (IMO) to T5 standards.
Old Jan 17, 12, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Thanks David.

Just had my soft landing to BAEX Silver won't have my Gold back till late Feb and Euro Traveller as work is paying
Old Jan 17, 12, 5:20 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Well the T3 G.Club is fine.

While your BAEC Silver (Sapphire) could get you into AA and CX lounges, I wouldn't bother if it is your first trip to T3. [Unless you have too much time to kill.] I'd checkout the BA lounge so you can form your own opinion on it.
Remembered one thing they don't have - the modern art installations. But if you've seen T5 already, it's not as if you are not getting a chance to see them.
Old Jan 17, 12, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Yes am a regular at T5, prefer Galleries F to Club there mainly because it is much less busy.

But look forward to something new to sample and will be a change from F at least.
Old Jan 18, 12, 4:39 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
and while I am on what is the taxi situation on arrival in HEL and rough cost to central Helsinki?

Thanks in anticipation
I think its about €40 - €50 for a taxi to Helsinki from the airport. They are there right out side the terminal. Usually a queue, but quite fast moving - although it is outdoors so it can feel very slow if its -10C

And for lounges then BA Silver gets you into the Finnair lounge in the long haul / non shengen area. Its fine, nothing special. You need Finnair platinum to get in the spa and saunas next door.
Old Jan 18, 12, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After many years flying BA I have a new experience looming ... never flown from terminal 3 before!

What are the BA lounge(s) like in T3? as good as T5?

Whats the lounge situation in HEL?

Thanks in anticipation
Lounges are not as good as, but are still good. Fortunately fast-track security and the Lounges help you avoid the scrum in this terminal. The main departure lounge resembles a refugee camp most times of the day. Careful stepping over the bodies on the floor as you make your way to the Lounges.

Buses to the plane.

The Lounge at HEL is by gate 37 and is very nice. It's very large with decent snack foods (sandwiches, salads, soup).

A taxi should be around EUR50, but I would take the bus, it's just as quick. The Finnair bus goes direct to the Continental Hotel and the Railway Station. The 615 goes to the Hilton (and on to the Railway Station) and runs every 10 mins or so. Both buses stop right outside the international arrivals area.
Old Jan 18, 12, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
.... Buses to the plane.

The Lounge at HEL is by gate 37 and is very nice. It's very large with decent snack foods (sandwiches, salads, soup).

A taxi should be around EUR50, but I would take the bus, it's just as quick. The Finnair bus goes direct to the Continental Hotel and the Railway Station. The 615 goes to the Hilton (and on to the Railway Station) and runs every 10 mins or so. Both buses stop right outside the international arrivals area.
Is a bus almost a definite for T3 HEL flights then?

Which hilton is that? i don't arrive till 2330.

I heard rumour Taxi's in Helsinki take credit cards is that all of them?

Thanks for the info
Old Jan 18, 12, 5:49 am

From time of the BA flight landing to taking off again is 50 mins.

Is this airport like AMS and Jersey where you can do a quick turn around?
Old Jan 18, 12, 5:50 am

Thanks for the info
All taxis take credit cards in Finland (at least Visa and MC)
Old Jan 18, 12, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sprwscht View Post
All taxis take credit cards in Finland (at least Visa and MC)
Do some take Amex also? just thinking of my Avios.

Was wondering how many euros i might need when i am out there, but by sound of things not much at all?
Old Jan 18, 12, 6:49 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Do some take Amex also?
Yes- most/all IME. Helsinki has a very efficient taxi setup, but also veery expensive. I reflected once on a trip that included PEK and HEL that the ride from PEK to the center was as much as at HEL- but when I just got in the cab and hadn't yet gone anywhere.

The Finnair bus to the Helsinki train station is a good option if looking to economize.
Old Jan 18, 12, 6:51 am

Programs: BA/EK/VS/TP Gold, Coutts Silk, Centurion
In Finland you can use cards for pretty much everything. Cabs included. Amex included. (I think there are laws against discriminating on cards).

Check-in online and PYOB/mobile boarding pass. Avoids the trek across to the farthest corner for check-in in T3.

Fast track varies, can be quick, can be slow. The dragons can be a pain, so make sure you have the appopriate cards ready. I think BA Silver on BA flight code get access even in ET.

Personally I like T3 galleries as there is also the bag storage available for everyone. Early morning grab the bacon rolls! Mid-day the terminal and lounges are quiet.

If you are on a BA plane its a bus (gate 24, bit of a trek), if you are on BA code-share (eg BA6080 type number) then its a gate and a Finnair jet. I would sacrifice the gate to fly on a BA jet (better sandwhich and free beer).

The viaLounge is perfectly pleasant (I quite like it - particularly the recliners in the upper level are so comfortable!). If you want something different and dont mind spending some cash (not OWE) then pay to go the Spa - its a bizarre experience in an airport. The lounge drinks are average (better just for a bloody mary, soft drink or beer), and food minimal(just snacks) so better to eat in the cafe just outside. If transferring, the wine bar on the schengen side can be good.

Generally a very efficient airport.
Old Jan 18, 12, 9:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Thanks for the info
There are buses at 2340, 0000, 0020, 0040 and the last one is at 0110. At that hour the bus zips along quite quickly so I'm often in one of these. I normally make it for the 2340 too, without checked luggage. Because of the 2 hour time difference from the UK I tend to not regard it as being so late.

There are three Hiltons, one attached to the airport (and thus an easyish walk from the terminal, some rooms have private saunas in them) - not a bad option if arriving late, and then take the bus into work the next day.

Helsinki Hilton Strand is about 500 metres from the terminus railway station, which is probably not a good choice if you don't know the city and have luggage. In daylight it is an attractive walk along the harbour side. There is another Hilton at the of the city's tram line. Both have attractive views from them.

However there are a good selection of other hotels on the bus route, so the road to HEL is paved with good intentions. You can pay for that bus by plastic too (and indeed everything else).

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jan 18, 12 at 9:57 am Reason: too many toos
Old Jan 18, 12, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks C-W-S

Am in the Hilton Strand and will have luggage so will go for a Taxi that time of night.

Was unsure whether to go for a BA codeshare or BA metal, but by sounds of things experience is better on aircraft with BA? which was i went for the BA option both ways.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: