Advice for Lon - Ams

Old Jan 17, 12, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Advice for Lon - Ams

Hello all,

Firstly thank you for all your advice on this forum.

I am thinking about using a couple of miles on a reward ticket to go to AMS with my partner for a weekend in Feb.

Firstly where would you recommend flying from - LHR or LCY (I have flown to Nice from LCY before and enjoyed it but are there any significant benefits flying from or returning to LCY).

Secondly, for this route is it worth paying double miles (i.e. 18k return each) to go in CE? Is there a significant benefit? I have looked on seatguru for this route and the CE seats seem to be the same as ET just the middle seat isn't used. Is this correct?

Thanks
Old Jan 17, 12, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
CE also has a little extra legroom and a meal.

Frankly for AMS I'd say the extra miles simply are not worth it, although you would gain lounge access if neither of you have OneWorld status.

I always fly from LHR, but that's because I live so close, LCY simply isn't worth the aggravation for me.

BAH
Old Jan 17, 12, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by AkhilStyle View Post
Hello all,

Firstly thank you for all your advice on this forum.

I am thinking about using a couple of miles on a reward ticket to go to AMS with my partner for a weekend in Feb.

Firstly where would you recommend flying from - LHR or LCY (I have flown to Nice from LCY before and enjoyed it but are there any significant benefits flying from or returning to LCY).

Secondly, for this route is it worth paying double miles (i.e. 18k return each) to go in CE? Is there a significant benefit? I have looked on seatguru for this route and the CE seats seem to be the same as ET just the middle seat isn't used. Is this correct?

Thanks

The main advantage of LHR over LCY would be the LHR lounges if you have access, on the return you would get lounge access at AMS if your eligable so the route would depend on which airport is best for you. Dont forget that as far as AMS goes you also have the option of LGW, so basically whichever of the BA London airports are best for you

cs
Old Jan 17, 12, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
I would not spend double miles to upgrade on a 40 minute flight. Food is somewhat better and seats wider and with a bit more pitch, but nothing to get excited about. There is a service difference between the LCY-AMS and LHR/LGW-AMS flights, in that in the LCY-AMS flight you only get water and no other drinks in Y (unless they have changed over the past couple of weeks). All in all, I would take the LON airport that's most convenient for you!
Old Jan 17, 12, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the replies. I am a student living in London and so LCY is around 25 mins by DLR which is very convenient. I do have lounge access and after checking availability for a Saturday departure and Sunday return there are no outbound flights from LCY for a reward ticket but I can fly back to LCY. So might be worth LHR-AMS-LCY and then I can be in bed on time on Sunday!

Also thanks for the advice regarding upgrading to CE. I agree I don't think its worth it.

^
Old Jan 17, 12, 9:53 am

Programs: Radisson Platinum, SAS Nothing, SJ Prio Grey
Distance from airport is obvious factor - if both are good for you, I'd go for LHR* on departure and LCY on arrival.

* Well, I'd (and did) fly from LGW, but I'm not sure if this is option for you

If you don't have lounge access then LCY on both departure and arrival.

Last edited by the810; Jan 24, 12 at 8:44 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 17, 12, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Do LHR in Business and back to LCY in Economy (you'll need to book each leg separately to do this). Then make sure you get to Heathrow 3 hours before your flight and enjoy some nice drinks and food in the lounge! The extra 4,500 Avios to get Business on the outbound is easily worth it if you spend enough time in the lounge and have 2-3 mini bottles of champagne in your 40 minutes in the air!
Old Jan 17, 12, 2:12 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Do LHR in Business and back to LCY in Economy (you'll need to book each leg separately to do this). Then make sure you get to Heathrow 3 hours before your flight and enjoy some nice drinks and food in the lounge! The extra 4,500 Avios to get Business on the outbound is easily worth it if you spend enough time in the lounge and have 2-3 mini bottles of champagne in your 40 minutes in the air!
Not sure I agree if the OP has lounge access anyway, as he said above?
Old Jan 17, 12, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fly out from LHR-AMS. If you have lounge access by having (or your travelling companion having) a Silver/Gold card, then go in ET. If not, spend the extra miles to go in CE to get lounge access.

For the return pick whichever route is most convenient, bearing in mind that the AMS-LCY route in ET has minimal service (a bag is chucked at you, containing a nasty biscuit, a mini bag of nasty savoury bites, and a cuplet of water - enough for one gulp). No other drinks, no coke, no coffee. This is ET service at its worst.
Old Jan 17, 12, 5:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by AkhilStyle View Post
after checking availability for a Saturday departure and Sunday return there are no outbound flights from LCY for a reward ticket but I can fly back to LCY. So might be worth LHR-AMS-LCY
I believe LCY closes on Friday evenings and doesn't reopen until Sunday afternoon (1400 iirc?) due to local airspace restrictions for residents, which may explain the availability.

I think LCY is brilliant and very easy, much closer for me than LHR but usually a premium price!

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 17, 12, 5:21 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Nearly right, Expatbear.... City is closed Sat. afternoon / sunday mornings.....

But with the recent LGW schedule change to / from AMS it is almost worse!!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: