FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA's PA Blunder (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1303254-bas-pa-blunder.html)

mattm199 Jan 17, 2012 2:15 am

Originally Posted by scr (Post 17828152)
I must be missing something, because that sounds exactly like it was accessible to the general public.

Not from the passenger-seat interface, but from the system control station (as used to turn system on or off, or reset parts of it...)
The other would be very poor form if pax used it for their entertainment! :)

Addit: beaten to the punch by sammyh25 :D

sammyh25 Jan 17, 2012 2:21 am

Originally Posted by mattm199 (Post 17828173)
Not from the passenger-seat interface, but from the system control station (as used to turn system on or off, or reset parts of it...)
The other would be very poor form if pax used it for their entertainment! :)

Addit: beaten to the punch by sammyh25 :D

LOL, can you tell I'm bored and killing time airside in T5 waiting on my Shuttle flight home! :)

scr Jan 17, 2012 2:33 am

Originally Posted by sammyh25 (Post 17828171)
Not the in flight entertainment system at passenger seats, the announcements are controlled from the crew terminal that controls the IFE.

That sounds like a better design than the one I imagined :)

BingBongBoy Jan 17, 2012 2:49 am

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet (Post 17828103)
A question for BBB et al. How easy would this be to do? Is it just another button on some panel somewhere that activates this announcement - and hence could easily be pressed instead of something else - or something more complex?

Update: Seems the poster above answered my question before I got time to ask it

On the Airbus, you have to type in a number and press the Play/Next button on the announcement panel at the front of the aircraft. 767, not so sure...

Paralytic Jan 17, 2012 3:07 am

Originally Posted by cornishsimon (Post 17826678)
These PA's happen every so often and always get the same sort of press reports, i wouldnt be surprised if the main content of the article isnt exactly the same each time it happens, just with different reports from people on the plane !

Exactly. Something similar happened to me and my family a few years ago one the way back into London - about an hour before landing the oxygen masks fell down and an pre-recorded announcement started playing. It only played for 5-10 seconds before it was stopped.

We were on the UD in CW so I don't know if it was just our cabin our the whole plane, but the captain came on quickly to reassure us it was a mistake. The masks did just hang there for the rest of the flight though.

Paralytic Jan 17, 2012 3:09 am

Originally Posted by sammyh25 (Post 17828171)
Not the in flight entertainment system at passenger seats, the announcements are controlled from the crew terminal that controls the IFE.

That would be funny - a big button on the IFE screen "PRESS HERE FOR EMERGENCY" :D

Pity it'd not be working half the time ;)

BingBongBoy Jan 17, 2012 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic (Post 17828280)
The masks did just hang there for the rest of the flight though.

Yep... Nothing can be done with them after they have come down. Engineers have to come and re-stow them all...

I remember, after a particularly hard landing in DME, all the oxygen masks came down fro roughly D2 to the back of the aircraft... As always, the engineer comes on in DME to see the flight crew and when he glanced down the cabin as he boarded... The tirade of expletives that came out of his mouth was fantastic... I have never hear so many used in the same breath in my life! :D

We were about 4 hours late back to London... ^

Globaliser Jan 17, 2012 4:00 am

Originally Posted by johnashw (Post 17827917)
I appreciate thatb this would have been briefly traumatic although frankly if the plane was flying straight and level with no other obvious signs of distress you might have guessed it was an error.

I sometimes wonder whether some passengers secretly or sub-consciously want to be involved in an accident? I find it very hard to understand why they are so convinced that they are going to die on their flight.

But maybe they're the same people who genuinely think that they're going to win the lottery jackpot - of which they probably have more chance.

Allegra1986 Jan 17, 2012 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 17828418)
I sometimes wonder whether some passengers secretly or sub-consciously want to be involved in an accident? I find it very hard to understand why they are so convinced that they are going to die on their flight.

But maybe they're the same people who genuinely think that they're going to win the lottery jackpot - of which they probably have more chance.

I think that view is quite easy to have if you aren't afraid of flying! As someone who is, trust me i'd give anything not to be and I definitely don't want to be involved in an accident, sub-consciously or otherwise! (don't play the lottery either :) ) You would be scared by the announcement because as a passenger you have no idea whats going on in the cockpit at any given moment The captains could've ejected with parachutes for all you know!

onaswan Jan 17, 2012 5:38 am

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet (Post 17828103)
A Is it just another button on some panel somewhere that activates this announcement - and hence could easily be pressed instead of something else - or something more complex?

I am reminded of the Gary Larson Far Side cartoon where a toggle button on an aircraft is marked, "Wings stay on / Wings fall off."

I shall try to find a link...

Rickers Jan 17, 2012 5:56 am

Originally Posted by onaswan (Post 17828676)
I am reminded of the Gary Larson Far Side cartoon where a toggle button on an aircraft is marked, "Wings stay on / Wings fall off."

I shall try to find a link...

Now THAT is funny ! :D

747_not_777 Jan 17, 2012 6:46 am

Suprised we haven't had any posters asking how many Avios points they should be due when they complain, as BA promised a water landing and didn't deliver...

mike&co Jan 17, 2012 6:53 am

Originally Posted by johnashw (Post 17827917)
Daily Mail is becoming a scarily dominant theme on this forum. I appreciate thatb this would have been briefly traumatic although frankly if the plane was flying straight and level with no other obvious signs of distress you might have guessed it was an error.

Not sure what said family wanted at the time beyond and apology (individual pyschotherapy? - should BA carry these on board as an alternative to the VS masseur to provide solace for those distressed by warm champagne etc.) but for a paper that condemns ostensibly the compensation culture, why are they giving prominence to a family who clearly are angling for some dosh to compensate for their distress.

I can't believe that comment...."frankly if the plane was flying straight and level with no other obvious signs of distress you might have guessed it was an error".

I would have been absolutely petrified as would anyone in that situation. With restricted viewing out of an aircraft at the best of times (especially during a night flight) and in particular those passengers located in aisles or the middle of the aircraft. How are they to know there isn't a problem. How are they to know it's flying straight and level.?

The aircraft that landed on the Hudson was flying straight and level.

BOH Jan 17, 2012 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Allegra1986 (Post 17828628)
I think that view is quite easy to have if you aren't afraid of flying! As someone who is, trust me i'd give anything not to be and I definitely don't want to be involved in an accident, sub-consciously or otherwise! (don't play the lottery either :) ) You would be scared by the announcement because as a passenger you have no idea whats going on in the cockpit at any given moment The captains could've ejected with parachutes for all you know!

No, not really - they don't have them in pax aircraft....but I sense you know that!

I went out of an aircraft in a full emergency evac in the late 1980's at LGW - down the slides and everything. We had landed with smoke billowing from an engine. So did a mate of mine a few years later from an MD11 shortly after the Swissair disaster off Nova Scotia. We both survived!

What I recall from mine was that despite loudly shouted instructions from the crew, how many pax STILL tried to get their personal belongings out from the overhead lockers :td:

Allegra1986 Jan 17, 2012 9:46 am

Originally Posted by BOH (Post 17828955)
No, not really - they don't have them in pax aircraft....but I sense you know that!

I went out of an aircraft in a full emergency evac in the late 1980's at LGW - down the slides and everything. We had landed with smoke billowing from an engine. So did a mate of mine a few years later from an MD11 shortly after the Swissair disaster off Nova Scotia. We both survived!

What I recall from mine was that despite loudly shouted instructions from the crew, how many pax STILL tried to get their personal belongings out from the overhead lockers :td:

Well I know when i'm on the ground but struggle to be as rational when in a metal tube 33,000 feet above where I want to be. I always have a good stare at the pilots before boarding to make sure they look like good pilots and they're working hard on their flight plans (i'm not sure what a good pilot looks like)!
Really can't imagine worrying about my handbag when smoke is billowing out of the plane and i'm being told to evacuate :confused: I really hope to never find out though!